Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > usb hard disk liveness

usb hard disk liveness

Netman

Hello!

I have untypical question to you.
I have bought four 1,5 TB Samsung hard disks (USB connection).
I want to use them to back up my data.

I want to store my photos from camera on 1st hard disk.
I want to store the same copy of these photos on the 2nd hard disk.
On the 3rd one I want to store my videos recorded by my videocamera.
On the 4th one I want to store the same copy of these videos.

I want to have these hard disks connected only for a while during the
time of copying the data from my local disk into one/two of these 1,5 TB
disks.

The document of these discs which was attached to the harddisk guarantees 36
months of use.
If during these 36 months something bad happens to these disks I will get a
new one.
When something bad happens 36 months after the date of purchase it is out of
guaranty.

Can you tell me what is the avarage liveness of such big harddiscs when they
are not
connected all the time to power and they are used only for a few minutes to
back up some data
i.e. it is 10 minutes a week? After backuping these disks are unconnected
from power and usb cable
is being disconnected.
I am wandering how long such disks can store data having such usage
environment on mind ?

Thank you for help
netman

Netman

Uzytkownik "Pete10016" <(E-Mail Removed)> napisal w wiadomosci
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Netman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hnrfpt$fd6$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have untypical question to you.
>> I have bought four 1,5 TB Samsung hard disks (USB connection).
>> I want to use them to back up my data.
>>
>> I want to store my photos from camera on 1st hard disk.
>> I want to store the same copy of these photos on the 2nd hard disk.
>> On the 3rd one I want to store my videos recorded by my videocamera.
>> On the 4th one I want to store the same copy of these videos.
>>
>> I want to have these hard disks connected only for a while during the
>> time of copying the data from my local disk into one/two of these 1,5 TB
>> disks.
>>
>> The document of these discs which was attached to the harddisk guarantees
>> 36 months of use.
>> If during these 36 months something bad happens to these disks I will get
>> a new one.
>> When something bad happens 36 months after the date of purchase it is out
>> of guaranty.
>>
>> Can you tell me what is the avarage liveness of such big harddiscs when
>> they are not
>> connected all the time to power and they are used only for a few minutes
>> to back up some data
>> i.e. it is 10 minutes a week? After backuping these disks are unconnected
>> from power and usb cable
>> is being disconnected.
>> I am wandering how long such disks can store data having such usage
>> environment on mind ?
>>
>> Thank you for help
>> netman
>>

> I've had nothing but good luck. If it works out of the box, it should work
> a long time.

Do you know some article about liveness of such harddisks? Is it possible to
count
such liveness in years? Maybe somobody predict breakdown in such disks after
i.e. 20 years
or something like that?

Thank you in advance

sandy58

On Mar 17, 10:16*pm, "Pete10016" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Netman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:hnrfpt$fd6$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Hello!

> > I have untypical question to you.
> > I have bought four 1,5 TB Samsung hard disks (USB connection).
> > I want to use them to back up my data.

> > I want to store my photos from camera on 1st hard disk.
> > I want to store the same copy of these photos on the 2nd hard disk.
> > On the 3rd one I want to store my videos recorded by my videocamera.
> > On the 4th one I want to store the same copy of these videos.

> > I want to have these hard disks connected only for a while during the
> > time of copying the data from my local disk into one/two of these 1,5 TB
> > disks.

> > The document of these discs which was attached to the harddisk guarantees
> > 36 months of use.
> > If during these 36 months something bad happens to these disks I will get
> > a new one.
> > When something bad happens 36 months after the date of purchase it is out
> > of guaranty.

> > Can you tell me what is the avarage liveness of such big harddiscs when
> > they are not
> > connected all the time to power and they are used only for a few minutes
> > to back up some data
> > i.e. it is 10 minutes a week? After backuping these disks are unconnected
> > from power and usb cable
> > is being disconnected.
> > I am wandering how long such disks can store data having such usage
> > environment on mind ?

> > Thank you for help
> > netman

> I've had nothing but good luck. If it works out of the box, it should work a
> long time.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...hard-disk-life
See e-mail, Netman.