Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > How to access a web site with an authentication template.

How to access a web site with an authentication template.

Anthra Norell

Hi all,

I have spent the better part of this day reading docs and googling
archives to no avail. About this: I understand that I can access
password protected sites with urllib2. However, the protocol seems to
be: I try without password and catch the error coming back. The header
will then tell me what the server expects in the line of formats. That
doesn't work with a site I am dealing with, because the opening page
does not require a password. It presents an id/password entry template
and I have no clue how to respond in python. The page source is chock
full of java script. The header--if that means anything--is:

<head id="ctl00_Head1"><meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<link id="ctl00_glbalLayoutCSS" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="/cve/p/6/Default/Styles/global_layout.css" />
.... more CSS
<!-- Site level default. The only time a firm.css is required is for
segment variations. -->

I don't expect solutions, but rather pointers to relevant reading.

Thanks

Frederic