Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Special Rights needed for ODBC access in WIN 7-64?

Special Rights needed for ODBC access in WIN 7-64?

Phil Smith

I have an access 2007 database, frontending a MYSQL database. Works
fine on all of our XP boxes.

For WIn7:
When I go into ODBC administration, I can set up the ODBC connection, as
a System data source, and it tests fine.

When I actually try to use the database, I get Connection failed, even
just trying to open the ODBC linked tables.

If I try to create a new link, it is really weird. I get a dialog box
with two tabs: File Data Source and Machine Data Source. SYSTEM data
source, which is the way my source is configured is not even an option.
When I hit NEW connection I get a warning:

You are logged on with nonadministrative priviledges. System DSNs could
be created or modified.

although as far as I know, I do have administrative priveledges: We are
on a domain, I am a domain User, and domain users are in the
adminstrative group.) and while it allows me to set up that source as a
FILE source after that, when the process is complete, it gives me the error:
The file Data Source was not saved.

I want to use my SYSTEM data source. It CLAIMS that a SYSTEM DSN is
visible to all users. What part of "visible" doesn't WIN7 understand,
and how can I induce a attitude adjustment?

Thanx

Phil

Steve Foster

Phil Smith wrote:

>I have an access 2007 database, frontending a MYSQL database. Works fine
>on all of our XP boxes.
>
>For WIn7:
>When I go into ODBC administration, I can set up the ODBC connection, as a
>System data source, and it tests fine.
>
>When I actually try to use the database, I get Connection failed, even
>just trying to open the ODBC linked tables.
>
>If I try to create a new link, it is really weird. I get a dialog box
>with two tabs: File Data Source and Machine Data Source. SYSTEM data
>source, which is the way my source is configured is not even an option.
>When I hit NEW connection I get a warning:
>
>You are logged on with nonadministrative priviledges. System DSNs could
>be created or modified.
>
>although as far as I know, I do have administrative priveledges: We are
>on a domain, I am a domain User, and domain users are in the adminstrative
>group.) and while it allows me to set up that source as a FILE source
>after that, when the process is complete, it gives me the error:
>The file Data Source was not saved.
>
>I want to use my SYSTEM data source. It CLAIMS that a SYSTEM DSN is
>visible to all users. What part of "visible" doesn't WIN7 understand, and
>how can I induce a attitude adjustment?

Access is a 32-bit application, so needs a 32-bit ODBC DSN. You must run
odbcad32.exe from the SysWOW64 folder to get to the 32-bit ODBC
Administrator. The one in Administrative Tools is the 64-bit version, and
only manipulates 64-bit ODBC DSNs.

--
Steve Foster
------------

TallTed

"Machine" Data Sources include both System and User DSNs.
"File" Data Sources are neither System nor User.

Important to note in 64-bit environments --

Both 32-bit and 64-bit Administrators present *both* 32-bit and 64-bit *User* DSNs at all times -- even though 32-bit applications cannot work with 64-bit drivers/DSNs, and 64-bit applications cannot work with 32-bit drivers/DSNs.

*System* DSNs are properly segregated -- only 64-bit DSNs are presented in 64-bit contexts, and only 32-bit DSNs are presented in 32-bit contexts.

Microsoft recommends naming DSNs with _32/_64 to keep them clear. I don't argue against this ... but I also recommend sticking with System DSNs unless you have very good reason not to.

Be seeing you,
Ted

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...ss-in-WIN-7-64

Phil Smith

That was the solution to the problem, ALTHOUGH, even with the 32 but
version, it still bitches about administrative rights when I try to set
up my DSN. They work anyway, so it is a bogus error message.

Thanx