Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64 bit compilers

Reply
Thread Tools

64 bit compilers

 
 
Paul Richards
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2010

Are there any free c/c++ compilers which will allow compilation
targeting 64 bit WIndows 7?

--
Paul
Melbourne, Australia
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
James Kosin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2010
On 3/15/2010 9:45 PM, Paul Richards wrote:
>
> Are there any free c/c++ compilers which will allow compilation
> targeting 64 bit WIndows 7?
>

Free no.

Here are some of the free ones:
http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/cpp.shtml

The more traditional better support:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-compilers/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/visualc/default.aspx
http://www.embarcadero.com/downloads

James K.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Drew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2010

"Stefan Pendl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:18:58 -0400, James Kosin <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On 3/15/2010 9:45 PM, Paul Richards wrote:
>>>
>>> Are there any free c/c++ compilers which will allow compilation
>>> targeting 64 bit WIndows 7?
>>>

>>Free no.
>>

>
> Free YES
>
> ANSI C:
>
> Pelles C
> http://www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/index.htm
>
> Windows Driver Kit
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-7633f2ec14ff
> Even so it is a driver kit, you can compile GUI applications
> too.
>
>
> C, C++, .NET (VB, C#):
>
> Windows SDK
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
>


If this last is referring to the Express Edition of Visual Studio (although
it looks like a link to the SDK which AFAIK doesn't contain a compiler at
all) then *NO* it won't compile x64. I don't know about the other links
provided YMMV. Good luck.

Drew


> ---
> Stefan Pendl
>
> Windows Vista SP2
> AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2 GHz
> 4 GB RAM



 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Richards
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2010

Stefan Pendl wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:43:37 -0500, "Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > >
> >> C, C++, .NET (VB, C#):
> > >
> >> Windows SDK
> >>
> >>

>

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
> > >

> >
> > If this last is referring to the Express Edition of Visual Studio
> > (although it looks like a link to the SDK which AFAIK doesn't
> > contain a compiler at all) then NO it won't compile x64. I don't
> > know about the other links provided YMMV. Good luck.
> >
> > Drew
> >

>
> The SDK does include several build environments and compilers for the
> mentioned languages. It does not include an IDE or other source code
> editor.
>
> For .NET you can use the SharpDevelop IDE at
> http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/ , which uses the compiler
> included in the SDK.
>
> For C you could use the MinGWdevStudio to create the code and compile
> for x64 using the SDK.
>
> The express version of visual studio does not include a x64 compiler,
> but you can utilize the one included in the SDK.
>
> Check the download page for the SDK, which includes hints about what
> is included or start the web download I linked to, to get the list of
> components, you will be surprised.
>
> ---
> Stefan Pendl
>
> Windows Vista SP2
> AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2 GHz
> 4 GB RAM


Thanks for the replies, guys.

What about the MinGW toolchain which uses the GCC software? I've found
the mingw-w64 sourceforge.net project which describes itself as "a
complete runtime environment for gcc to support binaries native to
Windows 64-bit and 32-bit operating systems". I presume this will be OK
on Windows 7 - am I correct in that assumption?

For IDEs I have used Code::Blocks, Notepad++ and NetBeans on previous
occasions.



--
Paul
Melbourne, Australia
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Richards
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2010
Stefan Pendl wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:03:48 -0700, "Paul Richards"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
> >
> > What about the MinGW toolchain which uses the GCC software? I've
> > found the mingw-w64 sourceforge.net project which describes itself
> > as "a complete runtime environment for gcc to support binaries
> > native to Windows 64-bit and 32-bit operating systems". I presume
> > this will be OK on Windows 7 - am I correct in that assumption?
> >

>
> You should be fine using MinGW x64.
>
> If you still have problems using MinGW, you can use it as the IDE and
> compile with a different compiler.
>
> ---
> Stefan Pendl
>
> Windows 7 x64 RTM
> AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2 GHz
> 4 GB RAM


Stefan, thanks. Since my last post I've also discovered WPG System 64
which aims to package a complete set of 64 bit developers' tools based
on GCC, including pre-configured IDEs like code::blocks.

Do you have any opinions on this package?

--
Paul
Melbourne, Australia
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the point of having 16 bit colour if a computer monitor can only display 8 bit colour? How do you edit 16 bit colour when you can only see 8 bit? Scotius Digital Photography 6 07-13-2010 03:33 AM
C/C++ 64-bit compilers for Vista? fermineutron C Programming 4 08-23-2008 07:26 PM
commercial c compilers vs free c compilers geletine C Programming 33 07-07-2006 05:21 AM
64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit - new ! vvcd Computer Support 0 09-17-2004 08:15 PM
64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit,Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit - new! Ionizer Computer Support 1 01-01-2004 07:27 PM



Advertisments