Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Windows Live Mail

Windows Live Mail

Bobby Gee

I have 2 computers that I am trying to run Windows Live Mail. The first
computer is in an XP Home operating system. Windows live works well. The
second computer is a brand new laptop with Windows 7 running and Windows Live
does not work very well at all. I have used the same log on and set up specs
for both Windows Live Mails. ON the XP machine it automatically updated WLM
with all of the stuff from Outlook Express. So when I signed on to the
Windows7 machine I get an entirely different WLM program. I expected to see
the same contact list and the same storage folders, but no the contact list
was empty and there were no storage folders at all on the Windows7 machine.
What am I doing wrong?

smlunatick

On Mar 15, 9:08*pm, Bobby Gee <Bobby (E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I have 2 computers that I am trying to run Windows Live Mail. *The first
> computer is in an XP Home operating system. *Windows live works well. *The
> second computer is a brand new laptop with Windows 7 running and Windows Live
> does not work very well at all. *I have used the same log on and set up specs
> for both Windows Live Mails. *ON the XP machine it automatically updated WLM
> with all of the stuff from Outlook Express. *So when I signed on to the
> Windows7 machine I get an entirely different WLM program. *I expected to see
> the same contact list and the same storage folders, *but no the contact list
> was empty and there were no storage folders at all on the Windows7 machine. *
> What am I doing wrong?

Windows Live Mail has two methods of storing the contacts and email
folder. If you use a Windows Live account, WLM will update your
contacts / email folder from the WLM servers.

If you use WLM for standard email account provided by most Internet
service providers (ISP) you will need to copy the local folders /
contacts between the two Windows versions / PCs.

Also, Windows Live accounts (????@hotmail.com, ????@live.com, ????
@msn.com) are really only supposed to be used on one system at a time.

Peter Foldes

{crossposted to the windows.live.mail.desktop}
--
Peter

"Bobby Gee" <Bobby http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 2 computers that I am trying to run Windows Live Mail. The first
> computer is in an XP Home operating system. Windows live works well. The
> second computer is a brand new laptop with Windows 7 running and Windows Live
> does not work very well at all. I have used the same log on and set up specs
> for both Windows Live Mails. ON the XP machine it automatically updated WLM
> with all of the stuff from Outlook Express. So when I signed on to the
> Windows7 machine I get an entirely different WLM program. I expected to see
> the same contact list and the same storage folders, but no the contact list
> was empty and there were no storage folders at all on the Windows7 machine.
> What am I doing wrong?

Gleaf2

I too have a new laptop with Windows 7 and am having all sorts of problems
with Live Mail. Is there any way all these problems can be drawn to the
attention of Microsoft?

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> {crossposted to the windows.live.mail.desktop}
> --
> Peter

> "Bobby Gee" <Bobby (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have 2 computers that I am trying to run Windows Live Mail. The first
> > computer is in an XP Home operating system. Windows live works well. The
> > second computer is a brand new laptop with Windows 7 running and Windows Live
> > does not work very well at all. I have used the same log on and set up specs
> > for both Windows Live Mails. ON the XP machine it automatically updated WLM
> > with all of the stuff from Outlook Express. So when I signed on to the
> > Windows7 machine I get an entirely different WLM program. I expected to see
> > the same contact list and the same storage folders, but no the contact list
> > was empty and there were no storage folders at all on the Windows7 machine.
> > What am I doing wrong?

> .

Ildhund

"Gleaf2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I too have a new laptop with Windows 7 and am having all sorts of problems with Live Mail. Is there any way all these problems can be drawn to the attention of Microsoft?

There is a lot of expertise about Windows Live Mail in the newsgroup this has been crossposted to, so feel free to post here.

The last week has seen more MS server errors than I remember seeing for many years. The best way to get MS support to look at your problems is to post in the forum at http://windowslivehelp.com, where all the first-line Windows Live support staff are on duty. Some of them at least are able to reset accounts on the Hotmail servers, if that is what's needed. This new site has also been having major outages the last couple of days, so you may have to be patient. One can't help wondering whether this is the result of a concerted hacker attack designed to coincide with Mix.
--
Noel

Michael Santovec

The XP PC imported the Outlook express data that was on that PC.

The Win7 PC had nothing to import.

If you are using a POP3 mail account you can export the data on the XP
and import to Win7.
How to Backup Windows Live Mail Accounts, Contacts and Messages
http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!174.entry

Or you can use the Easy Transfer tool that comes with Win7 to move your
WLM settings and data from XP to Win7.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"Peter Foldes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e29h#(E-Mail Removed)...
> {crossposted to the windows.live.mail.desktop}
> --
> Peter

> "Bobby Gee" <Bobby (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have 2 computers that I am trying to run Windows Live Mail. The
>>first
>> computer is in an XP Home operating system. Windows live works well.
>> The
>> second computer is a brand new laptop with Windows 7 running and
>> Windows Live
>> does not work very well at all. I have used the same log on and set
>> up specs
>> for both Windows Live Mails. ON the XP machine it automatically
>> updated WLM
>> with all of the stuff from Outlook Express. So when I signed on to
>> the
>> Windows7 machine I get an entirely different WLM program. I expected
>> to see
>> the same contact list and the same storage folders, but no the
>> contact list
>> was empty and there were no storage folders at all on the Windows7
>> machine.
>> What am I doing wrong?

...winston

Same Windows Logon or same Windows Live ID logon in Windows Live Mail.

For the latter, only LIve ID Hotmail type accounts(hotmail.com, live.com, and msn.com) when setup as Http(not Pop3) on both
machines will yield the same email account folders, messages. To see the same contacts on both machines...use the same Live ID to
logon to Windows Live in WLM(not Windows)

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail