Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Self installing Drives

Self installing Drives

doc

This is going to be a bit long. Last month I bought a new HP computer with
Windows7 64 bits. I uninstalled the Norton antivirus that came with it, and
used the Norton Removal Tool to clean any thing left over, if any. I have
Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows firewall ON.
I have not installed any programs in the computer. I have 2 flash DRIVES (J
and K) where I keep my files. Every thing has been working just fine until 4
days ago. I turned my computer on , clicked the J drive and a small screen
came on telling me to insert the disk, but it was already inserted. I then
noticed in my desktop that I had 2 new drives: L and D. I went to start,
computer and there was those two extra drives. I clicked on the L and all my
files that I had on the drive J were now on the L. The drive D had a label
Factory -Image. I assume it is a recovery drive (10 GB).
Question: how come these drives were installed and changed all by
themselves.
Also, since 4 days ago when I boot the computer, as soon as the desktop
shows up, I get a loud dum dum dum and about 10 seconds late another dum dum
dum. It repeats 5 times and stops. It happens every time I start the
computer. There is nothing in the desktop in the way of warning etc.
I went to sys, system configuration, start up but cannot see anything that
looks "funny".
Question: any one knows what is going on? Has anyone had similar experience?
Thanks for any info.
Doc

Bobby Johnson

There are any number of things that could have been responsible for what
happened. Any computer bought from the major vendors, like HP, has tons
of bloatware on the system and it's anyone's guess as to what they will
do. Since the system is under HP's warranty your best solution is to
take it back to them and ask them what is going on.

On 2010-03-15 13:25, doc wrote:
> This is going to be a bit long. Last month I bought a new HP computer
> with Windows7 64 bits. I uninstalled the Norton antivirus that came with
> it, and used the Norton Removal Tool to clean any thing left over, if
> any. I have Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows firewall ON.
> I have not installed any programs in the computer. I have 2 flash DRIVES
> (J and K) where I keep my files. Every thing has been working just fine
> until 4 days ago. I turned my computer on , clicked the J drive and a
> small screen came on telling me to insert the disk, but it was already
> inserted. I then noticed in my desktop that I had 2 new drives: L and D.
> I went to start, computer and there was those two extra drives. I
> clicked on the L and all my files that I had on the drive J were now on
> the L. The drive D had a label Factory -Image. I assume it is a recovery
> drive (10 GB).
> Question: how come these drives were installed and changed all by
> themselves.
> Also, since 4 days ago when I boot the computer, as soon as the desktop
> shows up, I get a loud dum dum dum and about 10 seconds late another dum
> dum dum. It repeats 5 times and stops. It happens every time I start the
> computer. There is nothing in the desktop in the way of warning etc.
> I went to sys, system configuration, start up but cannot see anything
> that looks "funny".
> Question: any one knows what is going on? Has anyone had similar
> experience?
> Thanks for any info.
> Doc

James Kosin

On 3/15/2010 1:25 PM, doc wrote:
> This is going to be a bit long. Last month I bought a new HP computer
> with Windows7 64 bits. I uninstalled the Norton antivirus that came with
> it, and used the Norton Removal Tool to clean any thing left over, if
> any. I have Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows firewall ON.
> I have not installed any programs in the computer. I have 2 flash DRIVES
> (J and K) where I keep my files. Every thing has been working just fine
> until 4 days ago. I turned my computer on , clicked the J drive and a
> small screen came on telling me to insert the disk, but it was already
> inserted. I then noticed in my desktop that I had 2 new drives: L and D.
> I went to start, computer and there was those two extra drives. I
> clicked on the L and all my files that I had on the drive J were now on
> the L. The drive D had a label Factory -Image. I assume it is a recovery
> drive (10 GB).
> Question: how come these drives were installed and changed all by
> themselves.
> Also, since 4 days ago when I boot the computer, as soon as the desktop
> shows up, I get a loud dum dum dum and about 10 seconds late another dum
> dum dum. It repeats 5 times and stops. It happens every time I start the
> computer. There is nothing in the desktop in the way of warning etc.
> I went to sys, system configuration, start up but cannot see anything
> that looks "funny".
> Question: any one knows what is going on? Has anyone had similar
> experience?
> Thanks for any info.
> Doc

Doc,

The relabeling of the drives sometimes happen when you attach to a
different USB port.

James

doc

"James Kosin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7Wvnn.21219$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 3/15/2010 1:25 PM, doc wrote:
>> This is going to be a bit long. Last month I bought a new HP computer
>> with Windows7 64 bits. I uninstalled the Norton antivirus that came with
>> it, and used the Norton Removal Tool to clean any thing left over, if
>> any. I have Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows firewall ON.
>> I have not installed any programs in the computer. I have 2 flash DRIVES
>> (J and K) where I keep my files. Every thing has been working just fine
>> until 4 days ago. I turned my computer on , clicked the J drive and a
>> small screen came on telling me to insert the disk, but it was already
>> inserted. I then noticed in my desktop that I had 2 new drives: L and D.
>> I went to start, computer and there was those two extra drives. I
>> clicked on the L and all my files that I had on the drive J were now on
>> the L. The drive D had a label Factory -Image. I assume it is a recovery
>> drive (10 GB).
>> Question: how come these drives were installed and changed all by
>> themselves.
>> Also, since 4 days ago when I boot the computer, as soon as the desktop
>> shows up, I get a loud dum dum dum and about 10 seconds late another dum
>> dum dum. It repeats 5 times and stops. It happens every time I start the
>> computer. There is nothing in the desktop in the way of warning etc.
>> I went to sys, system configuration, start up but cannot see anything
>> that looks "funny".
>> Question: any one knows what is going on? Has anyone had similar
>> experience?
>> Thanks for any info.
>> Doc

> Doc,
>
> The relabeling of the drives sometimes happen when you attach to a
> different USB port.
>
> James

Yes, I know. However, in this case I did not change the ports.
Doc

Juergen Kluth

Soma flash drive manufacturers deliver their drives with additional
software on it.
Have a look at their website for information.
jk

Carlos

doc,
Try System Restore and take your system, say, 5 days back in time.
That should fix it.
Carlos