Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Understanding the CPython dict implementation

Understanding the CPython dict implementation

Terry Reedy

I found this PyCon2010 presentation to be excellent:
The Mighty Dictionary, Branden Craig Rhodes, 30 min.
http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3264041/

Even knowing Python for over a decade, I learned a few things.

Terry Jan Reedy

John Nagle

Terry Reedy wrote:
> I found this PyCon2010 presentation to be excellent:
> The Mighty Dictionary, Branden Craig Rhodes, 30 min.
> http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3264041/
>
> Even knowing Python for over a decade, I learned a few things.
>
> Terry Jan Reedy

Is this available as a paper?

John Nagle

Alex Willmer

On Mar 15, 4:06*am, John Nagle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> * * Is this available as a paper?
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * John Nagle

It doesn't wppear to be, slides are here:

http://us.pycon.org/2010/conference/schedule/event/12/

Alex

Steven D'Aprano

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:39:46 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:

> I found this PyCon2010 presentation to be excellent: The Mighty
> Dictionary, Branden Craig Rhodes, 30 min.
> http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3264041/

Unfortunately, that clip seems to be unwatchable, at least for me. It
crashed the Netscape plugin in Konqueror, and crashed Firefox. When I
downloaded the ogv file, it crashed MPlayer and Kaffeine. Before
crashing, in all four players, it displayed random blocks of colours and
lines while the sound played.

Not a good advertisement for either BlipTV or Ogg

--
Steven

Michiel Overtoom

On 16 Mar 2010, at 12:46 , Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:39:46 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>> I found this PyCon2010 presentation to be excellent: The Mighty
>> Dictionary, Branden Craig Rhodes, 30 min.
>> http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3264041/

> Unfortunately, that clip seems to be unwatchable, at least for me. It
> crashed the Netscape plugin in Konqueror, and crashed Firefox. When I
> downloaded the ogv file, it crashed MPlayer and Kaffeine.

It played in VLC without problems.

Greetings,

Terry Reedy

On 3/16/2010 7:46 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:39:46 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>> I found this PyCon2010 presentation to be excellent: The Mighty
>> Dictionary, Branden Craig Rhodes, 30 min.

Sorry,
http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3332763/

which plays fine in FF3.6 on windows

>> http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3264041/

wrong file number

> Unfortunately, that clip seems to be unwatchable, at least for me. It
> crashed the Netscape plugin in Konqueror, and crashed Firefox.

The flash version does not work for me. This is true of about 1/3 of the
Pycon 2010 videos that I have tried. The .ogv version of this and all
others that I have tried (hit Download under Comments) plays fine within
FF3.6 on my windows xp machine. Perhaps there is a linux-specific bug,
if that is what you are running under.

Terry Jan Reedy

Steven D'Aprano

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:04:22 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:

>> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:39:46 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
>>
>>> I found this PyCon2010 presentation to be excellent: The Mighty
>>> Dictionary, Branden Craig Rhodes, 30 min.

> Sorry,
> http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3332763/
>
> which plays fine in FF3.6 on windows
>

>>> http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3264041/

> wrong file number
>
>> Unfortunately, that clip seems to be unwatchable, at least for me. It
>> crashed the Netscape plugin in Konqueror, and crashed Firefox.

> The flash version does not work for me. This is true of about 1/3 of the
> Pycon 2010 videos that I have tried. The .ogv version of this and all
> others that I have tried (hit Download under Comments) plays fine within
> FF3.6 on my windows xp machine. Perhaps there is a linux-specific bug,
> if that is what you are running under.

Amusingly, the FLV files play perfectly for me under Linux, while the OGV
files don't

Thanks for the links, the videos are very interesting.

--
Steven