Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC shuts down when trying to install windows

PC shuts down when trying to install windows

don

My friends PC had viruses on it or so she says and when she tried to
reformat and reinstall windows now the PC shuts down as windows is loading
its installation files......... any suggestions or thoughts?

wisdomkiller & pain

don wrote:

> My friends PC had viruses on it or so she says and when she tried to
> reformat and reinstall windows now the PC shuts down as windows is

Most probably a hardware fault - memory (ram), powersupply or anything
else on the mainboard are suspect.
Try to run a live-cd, memtest86, knoppix, winpe or whatever.

richard

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:15:01 -0500, don wrote:

> My friends PC had viruses on it or so she says and when she tried to
> reformat and reinstall windows now the PC shuts down as windows is loading
> its installation files......... any suggestions or thoughts?

Is that an upgrade disk? That may happen if it is.
See if the manufacturer has a software utility to reset the drive back to
factory specs. A virus may have gotten into the BIOS.

Mike Litoris

richard wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:15:01 -0500, don wrote:
>
>> My friends PC had viruses on it or so she says and when she tried to
>> reformat and reinstall windows now the PC shuts down as windows is

> Is that an upgrade disk? That may happen if it is.
> See if the manufacturer has a software utility to reset the drive back to
> factory specs. A virus may have gotten into the BIOS.

Are you ****ing mental, for trolls sake?

Mike Litoris

The Old Sourdough wrote:

> Mike Litoris mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>> richard wrote:

>>> Is that an upgrade disk? That may happen if it is.
>>> See if the manufacturer has a software utility to reset the drive back
>>> to factory specs. A virus may have gotten into the BIOS.

>> Are you ****ing mental, for trolls sake?

> It's RtS, what did you expect? Lucidity?

I could, but never expected a ****ed up answer like "A virus may have gotten
into the BIOS"

Aratzio

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 01:58:40 -0700, in the land of
24hoursupport.helpdesk, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> got double secret
probation for writing:

>On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:15:01 -0500, don wrote:
>
>> My friends PC had viruses on it or so she says and when she tried to
>> reformat and reinstall windows now the PC shuts down as windows is loading
>> its installation files......... any suggestions or thoughts?

>Is that an upgrade disk? That may happen if it is.
>See if the manufacturer has a software utility to reset the drive back to
>factory specs. A virus may have gotten into the BIOS.

BULLIS TO THE RESCUE!!!!

It just not possible for you to actually give advice that makes sense.

Aratzio

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 14:11:54 +0100, in the land of
24hoursupport.helpdesk, Mike Litoris <(E-Mail Removed)>
got double secret probation for writing:

>richard wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:15:01 -0500, don wrote:
>>
>>> My friends PC had viruses on it or so she says and when she tried to
>>> reformat and reinstall windows now the PC shuts down as windows is

>> Is that an upgrade disk? That may happen if it is.
>> See if the manufacturer has a software utility to reset the drive back to
>> factory specs. A virus may have gotten into the BIOS.

>Are you ****ing mental, for trolls sake?

Bullis is just stupid.

Ask him about imploding tires.

don

> Boot up with a liveCD like ubuntu, knoppix, puppy Linux, etc
> and that way you can be sure the PC itself has no problem.
>
> Use liveCD like systemrescueCD to boot up from CD and use ClamAV to clean
> the disk.
>
> Or even better, boot up with a liveCD like GParted and reformat the
> hard disk and start again.
>
> If you are not familiar with Linux, liveCDs or commands, then use google
> to search for tutorials and help.
>
> http://www.livecdlist.com
> http://www.distrowatch.com
> http://www.ubuntu.com

Ok Thanks.

Bucky Breeder

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> via
news:196ffe1rwseoq$.11sg9wkmsk301$(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:15:01 -0500, don wrote:
>
>> My friends PC had viruses on it or so she
>> says and when she tried to reformat and
>> reinstall windows now the PC shuts down
>> as windows is loading its installation files
>> ......... any suggestions or thoughts?

> Is that an upgrade disk? That may happen if it is.
> See if the manufacturer has a software utility to
> reset the drive back to factory specs. A virus may
> have gotten into the BIOS.

My BIOS fornicates viruses and tosses 'em away
like deflowering eager, supple, virgins under
the stadium bleachers on prom night!

Best to just throw 'em away and get fresh ones!

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *NO*,
that is NOT a Jedi light-sabre in my pocket;

Repent! The end is near....
So, smoke 'em if you got 'em.

chuckcar

Mike Litoris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> The Old Sourdough wrote:
>
>> Mike Litoris mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>>> Are you ****ing mental, for trolls sake?

>> It's RtS, what did you expect? Lucidity?

> I could, but never expected a ****ed up answer like "A virus may have
> gotten into the BIOS"

Of course not. You don't know what your talking about. It's the *very*
first thing AV programs check FCS. NVram has a long tradition of being
used for malware - because it never loses it's content it's perfect.

http://support.ap.dell.com/support/t...lca&dn=1045429

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )