Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 5D battery questions

5D battery questions

jj@unspameljefe.net

When I bought my 5D three years ago I got the original Canon BP-11A
battery with it and three Impact clones from B&H at $30 apiece. One of
the clones has never quite held much of a charge, the others are okay
but probably nearing the end of their useful lives.

The original Canon BP-11A is rated 1390 mAh. The Impact clones are
rated 1700 mAh. I can't tell any appreciable difference in their
performance.

These days there are numerous companies selling clones of the BP-11A,
some claiming as much as 2000 mAh for as little as $6.99 per 2-pack!
http://tinyurl.com/yk4laz9 Reviews seem to be all over the map, even
within the same brands. Also, the claims of high mAh's are almost
always exaggerated.

So here's the question: Who's got decent, high mAh BP-11A clones for a
reasonable price these days?

JJ

ransley

On Mar 13, 2:09*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> When I bought my 5D three years ago I got the original Canon BP-11A
> battery with it and three Impact clones from B&H at $30 apiece. One of
> the clones has never quite held much of a charge, the others are okay
> but probably nearing the end of their useful lives.
>
> The original Canon BP-11A is rated 1390 mAh. The Impact clones are
> rated 1700 mAh. I can't tell any appreciable difference in their
> performance.
>
> These days there are numerous companies selling clones of the BP-11A,
> some claiming as much as 2000 mAh for as little as $6.99 per 2-pack!http://tinyurl.com/yk4laz9Reviews seem to be all over the map, even
> within the same brands. Also, the claims of high mAh's are almost
> always exaggerated.
>
> So here's the question: Who's got decent, high mAh BP-11A clones for a
> reasonable price these days?
>
> JJ

Why buy other than canon, you just answered your question that off
brands cant be trusted from the ratings they state. Is canon that much
more money? With a canon battery you know its not from the seconds or
reject bin thats probably just resold to Cloners.

David J Taylor

"ransley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
> Why buy other than canon, you just answered your question that off
> brands cant be trusted from the ratings they state. Is canon that much
> more money? With a canon battery you know its not from the seconds or
> reject bin thats probably just resold to Cloners.

Mark, I've had no problems with 3rd-party batteries for my Nikon DSLRs and
other cameras. Mind you, I've never bought the very cheapest from unknown
sources, just batteries at about one quarter of the Nikon price from
reputable dealers. I imagine the same would be true of Canon batteries as
well. Example:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/defa...o=SEARCH&comp=

Cheers,
David

DanP

On Mar 13, 8:09*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> When I bought my 5D three years ago I got the original Canon BP-11A
> battery with it and three Impact clones from B&H at $30 apiece. One of
> the clones has never quite held much of a charge, the others are okay
> but probably nearing the end of their useful lives.
>
> The original Canon BP-11A is rated 1390 mAh. The Impact clones are
> rated 1700 mAh. I can't tell any appreciable difference in their
> performance.
>
> These days there are numerous companies selling clones of the BP-11A,
> some claiming as much as 2000 mAh for as little as $6.99 per 2-pack!http://tinyurl.com/yk4laz9Reviews seem to be all over the map, even
> within the same brands. Also, the claims of high mAh's are almost
> always exaggerated.
>
> So here's the question: Who's got decent, high mAh BP-11A clones for a
> reasonable price these days?
>
> JJ

The reviews are fine if you ask me.
5 star: (25)
4 star: (
3 star: (5)
2 star: (1)
1 star: (3)

One of 1* is from someone who bought the wrong product.

I'd buy 4 clones for the same money as one Canon ant take a gamble
that the failure rate will be less than 75%.

I have bought a clone for my 500D but it was only 2 months ago so is
too early to comment on it.

DanP

ransley

On Mar 14, 4:47*am, "David J Taylor" <david-
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "ransley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> []
>
> > Why buy other than canon, you just answered your question that off
> > brands cant be trusted from the ratings they state. Is canon that much
> > more money? *With a canon battery you know its not from the seconds or
> > reject bin thats probably just resold to Cloners.

> Mark, I've had no problems with 3rd-party batteries for my Nikon DSLRs and
> other cameras. *Mind you, I've never bought the very cheapest from unknown
> sources, just batteries at about one quarter of the Nikon price from
> reputable dealers. *I imagine the same would be true of Canon batteries as
> well. *Example:
>
> *http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/defa...3030&man=0&fil...
>
> Cheers,
> David

Thats good to know, I didnt know you you could save 75%, My Rebel is
less than 1 yr old and rarely used, so I have time.

jj@unspameljefe.net

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 05:47:37 -0700 (PDT), DanP <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mar 13, 8:09*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> So here's the question: Who's got decent, high mAh BP-11A clones for a
>> reasonable price these days?
>>
>> JJ

>The reviews are fine if you ask me.

(snip)

>I'd buy 4 clones for the same money as one Canon

Got that much right! Isn't it about time Canon stopped "charging" $45
to $65 for what is now old technology?

>I have bought a clone for my 500D but it was only 2 months ago so is
>too early to comment on it.

That seems to be a common factor in many of the reviews I've read. I
was hoping for more of a long-term overview of what goes into these
batteries, which ones really have the output they claim, etc. I know
what my four have done in the last three years, but I would expect
that technology has improved since then. Obviously, the price of
clones has comes down, but are the batteries themselves any better?

And is a clone from B&H (still $30, no cheaper than the clones I
bought from them three years ago, but now rated only 1500 mAh instead
of 1700) any better or worse than the others? Like this one, for
instance, claiming "2,000mAh Xtra High Capacity" for $15.

http://www.shopxtreme.com/p1270/CANO...duct_info.html

JJ