Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DC power adapter question

DC power adapter question

Lodi

Hi all...Hope you don't mind. Cross-posted to nz.comp and nz.tech

I've a digital camera which needs a 3V, 2.5A DC power adapter.

I have one DC power adapter which is rated 3V, .5A and another one which is
rated 5V, 3A

Is it advisable to use the over-rated unit as it's better to over-power the
camera than to excessively strain the less powerful adapter which will, in
turn, under-power the camera.

Or will the more powerful DC adapter simply fry the camera.

No emotional attachment to this camera (it was a giveaway) so any reasonable
sounding advice will most likely be acted on

Thanks
Lodi

PS...Yes I know but I'm too cheap to spend $70 on the Kodak branded adapter.

David Empson

Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi all...Hope you don't mind. Cross-posted to nz.comp and nz.tech
>
> I've a digital camera which needs a 3V, 2.5A DC power adapter.
>
> I have one DC power adapter which is rated 3V, .5A and another one which is
> rated 5V, 3A
>
> Is it advisable to use the over-rated unit as it's better to over-power the
> camera than to excessively strain the less powerful adapter which will, in
> turn, under-power the camera.

Generally speaking, the current rating of a power adapter is the MAXIMUM
current it will output. The actual current it outputs depends on what is
drawn by the device.

The 0.5A adapter will not provide enough power for the digital camera.
It may cause the power adapter to overload/overheat, or the camera to
shut down due to lack of power.

The 3A adapter is more than sufficient. It won't be trying to push 3A
down the wire if the camera doesn't need that much.

--
David Empson

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lodi wrote:
> Hi all...Hope you don't mind. Cross-posted to nz.comp and nz.tech
>
> I've a digital camera which needs a 3V, 2.5A DC power adapter.
>
> I have one DC power adapter which is rated 3V, .5A and another one
> which is rated 5V, 3A
>
> Is it advisable to use the over-rated unit as it's better to
> over-power the camera than to excessively strain the less powerful
> adapter which will, in turn, under-power the camera.
>
> Or will the more powerful DC adapter simply fry the camera.
>
> No emotional attachment to this camera (it was a giveaway) so any
> reasonable sounding advice will most likely be acted on
>
> Thanks
> Lodi
>
> PS...Yes I know but I'm too cheap to spend $70 on the Kodak branded
> adapter.

Short answer, using the 3V, 0.5A adapter will likely blow up the adapter,
using the 5V, 3A adapter will likely blow up the camera (unless it has
overvoltage protection bult-in).
--
Shaun.

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...

~misfit~

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lodi wrote:
>> Hi all...Hope you don't mind. Cross-posted to nz.comp and nz.tech
>>
>> I've a digital camera which needs a 3V, 2.5A DC power adapter.
>>
>> I have one DC power adapter which is rated 3V, .5A and another one
>> which is rated 5V, 3A
>>
>> Is it advisable to use the over-rated unit as it's better to
>> over-power the camera than to excessively strain the less powerful
>> adapter which will, in turn, under-power the camera.
>>
>> Or will the more powerful DC adapter simply fry the camera.
>>
>> No emotional attachment to this camera (it was a giveaway) so any
>> reasonable sounding advice will most likely be acted on
>>
>> Thanks
>> Lodi
>>
>> PS...Yes I know but I'm too cheap to spend $70 on the Kodak branded
>> adapter.

> Short answer, using the 3V, 0.5A adapter will likely blow up the
> adapter, using the 5V, 3A adapter will likely blow up the camera
> (unless it has overvoltage protection bult-in).

Just been trough my drawer of orphaned power adapters and I don't have
anything suitable for you..... Bastard! <g>

I hate going through that drawer. It's a bottom drawer (as I don't go into
it often) and they're all tangled (as I'm a slack cnut).

That's a lot of current, 2.5A @ 3V. A lot. Maybe a resistor on your 5V
supply?
--
Cheers,
Shaun.

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...

Frank Williams

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 15:43:49 +1300, Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all...Hope you don't mind. Cross-posted to nz.comp and nz.tech
>
>I've a digital camera which needs a 3V, 2.5A DC power adapter.
>
>I have one DC power adapter which is rated 3V, .5A and another one which is
>rated 5V, 3A
>
>Is it advisable to use the over-rated unit as it's better to over-power the
>camera than to excessively strain the less powerful adapter which will, in
>turn, under-power the camera.
>
>Or will the more powerful DC adapter simply fry the camera.
>
>No emotional attachment to this camera (it was a giveaway) so any reasonable
>sounding advice will most likely be acted on
>
>Thanks
>Lodi
>
>PS...Yes I know but I'm too cheap to spend $70 on the Kodak branded adapter.

ONLY use the Approved DC Adapter, why don't you have the DC Adapter..?

Lodi

> ~misfit~ wrote:

> Short answer, using the 3V, 0.5A adapter will likely blow up the adapter,
> using the 5V, 3A adapter will likely blow up the camera (unless it has
> overvoltage protection bult-in).

Thanks Shaun. Very succinct.

Regards
Lodi

Lodi

> Frank Williams wrote:

>>PS...Yes I know but I'm too cheap to spend $70 on the Kodak branded
>>adapter.

> ONLY use the Approved DC Adapter, why don't you have the DC Adapter..?

Didn't you read the bit where I said I'm cheap ?

Lodi

Lodi

> David Empson wrote:
>
> The 3A adapter is more than sufficient. It won't be trying to push 3A
> down the wire if the camera doesn't need that much.

Thanks David. That was the answer I was looking for. It gives me the excuse
to do pretty much what I wanted to do, which is plug in the 5V power supply
and hope it doesn't fry the 3V camera

So I've just plugged the camera in and powered it up and it seemed to work
okay. Wonder how it will be after taking a photo every ten seconds for a
couple of days. I'm helping out a friend doing a "street scene from a
window" thing. Very arty. Way too posh for me but it's an excuse to play
around on the computer so I'm up for it.

Regards
Lodi

David Empson

Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > David Empson wrote:
> >
> > The 3A adapter is more than sufficient. It won't be trying to push 3A
> > down the wire if the camera doesn't need that much.

> Thanks David. That was the answer I was looking for. It gives me the excuse
> to do pretty much what I wanted to do, which is plug in the 5V power supply
> and hope it doesn't fry the 3V camera

Hang on, I didn't notice the voltage was different. That probably will
cause problems.

If the camera wants 3V, then you should use a 3V DC power supply which
is able to deliver at least 2.5 A.

> So I've just plugged the camera in and powered it up and it seemed to work
> okay.

The camera may have a component which is "throwing away" the excess
voltage, such as a diode. I wouldn't recommend running it like that as
it may eventually burn out.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

peterwn

On Mar 13, 4:46*pm, Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Frank Williams wrote:

> >>PS...Yes I know but I'm too cheap to spend $70 on the Kodak branded
> >>adapter.

> > ONLY use the Approved DC Adapter, why don't you have the DC Adapter..?

> Didn't you read the bit where I said I'm cheap ?

It depends on:
a. how valuable is your camera. Agreed you do not want to spend $70
on an adaptor for a camera worth say $100, but it is worthwhile
getting a proper adaptor for an expensive professional quality SLR.
b. how valuable are the pics if you risk frying the memory card.

Dickies or Jaycar sell adaptors in the $25 - $35 range. You can buy a
multi voltage multi plug adaptor that will suit your camera and which
is usable for other things too.