Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IP address of cable modem

IP address of cable modem

Alasdair

Please, can someone tell me how to find the IP address of my cable
modem?

--
Alasdair.

Buffalo

Alasdair wrote:
> Please, can someone tell me how to find the IP address of my cable
> modem?

Depends on your operating system.
On some, you just type ipconfig in the run box (Start,Run) and press OK.
Others, like Win2000Pro, you hit Start, Run type cmd and press Enter to
get to a command prompt.
Then you type in ipconfig and press Enter. To exit out of the command
prompt, type exit and then press Enter.

Now, if you are looking for the MAC address of the modem to give to your
Internet Service Provider, it is usually on a sticker on the bottom of the
modem.
Buffalo

Mike Easter

Alasdair wrote:
> Please, can someone tell me how to find the IP address of my cable
> modem?

I presume you mean your address for the WAN widearea network, the internet.

If your cable modem has an internal html page, you can look at that.

You can go to a 'what is my IP' type website, such as IP chicken
http://www.ipchicken.com/ which can also be reached by its IP if your
nameservice is broken http://209.68.27.16/

If you have a router with an internal page, you can look at that.

And your sig delimiter is still broken.

--
Mike Easter

wisdomkiller & pain

Alasdair wrote:

> Please, can someone tell me how to find the IP address of my cable
> modem?

A bare cable modem doesn't necessarily have a (WAN side) IP address. It
should, however, have a configuration page usually viewable by connecting
to http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.100
Some ISPs block access to their cable modem configuration entirely,
though.

Jan B

"wisdomkiller & pain" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in
bericht news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alasdair wrote:
>
>> Please, can someone tell me how to find the IP address of my cable
>> modem?
>>

> A bare cable modem doesn't necessarily have a (WAN side) IP address. It
> should, however, have a configuration page usually viewable by connecting
> to http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.100
> Some ISPs block access to their cable modem configuration entirely,
> though.

Sometimes 10.0.0.nnn is used

Alasdair

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:34:49 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

>Moat newer cable modems have their config page IP written on them.
>What kind/model modem does the OP have? Easy to google.

Thanks folks for all your help. I think what I really need is how to
access my wireless router. I don't know the make or model and I
believe it is possible to access it from my computer. Please, how do
I do this?

Alasdair.

Mike Easter

Alasdair wrote:

> Thanks folks for all your help. I think what I really need is how to
> access my wireless router. I don't know the make or model and I
> believe it is possible to access it from my computer. Please, how do
> I do this?

There will be way too much trial and error of different IP addresses
unless you put forth a little effort.

Get a flashlight and get up close to the router and look on its bottom
or its end and its front for some identifying characteristics. It is
highly unlikely that it doesn't have a badge with its brand name. My
router has a brand name in the front and on its end it has a stamp with
its modelno.

My switch has its brandname & modelno on the front and also both on the
bottom where its part number and serial number are also found.

Even my tacky little hub has its brandname and modelno on the front
where they are in a color that is hard to read.

For these purposes, your brand and modelno will be sufficient. My
router's IP address is http://192.168.1.1

--
Mike Easter

Alasdair

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:57:46 -0700, Evan Platt
<evan@*******************************> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:46:08 +0000, Alasdair <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Thanks folks for all your help. I think what I really need is how to
>>access my wireless router. I don't know the make or model and I
>>believe it is possible to access it from my computer. Please, how do
>>I do this?

>Start, run, command <enter>
>Ipconfig <enter>
>Look for Default Gateway. Possibly something like 192.168.1.1 . Put
>that address in your web browser.
>As for the username and password to access the router's web interface,
>without knowing the model, we can only guess. admin / password, admin
>/ admin, administrator / password, etc. The screen MAY say the make
>and model of the router, in which case you can do some googling and
>find the username / password.

Thank you very much indeed. My problem is now solved.

--
Alasdair.

Jordon

Alasdair wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:34:49 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:
>
>> Moat newer cable modems have their config page IP written on them.
>> What kind/model modem does the OP have? Easy to google.

> Thanks folks for all your help. I think what I really need is how to
> access my wireless router. I don't know the make or model and I
> believe it is possible to access it from my computer. Please, how do
> I do this?

I thought it was a cable modem. If it's a router open
your browser and type either of these two ip addresses
into the address bar...

192.168.0.1
192.168.1.1

And see what happens. You may see a screen with the make and
model of the router. Search google for...

default user password router

There are many lists out there.

But if it's a cable modem, all bets are off.

Keshav Sharma

On 3/12/2010 6:30 AM, Alasdair wrote:
> Please, can someone tell me how to find the IP address of my cable
> modem?
>
> --
> Alasdair.

type whatismyip in google