Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Almost beginner asking for info

Almost beginner asking for info

RDavid

Hi all,

I know I'll probably get a whole host of opinions, perhaps some vocal and
some not, but here goes.

I've developed in VB for many years and only now have decided that I need to
move into the 21st century. I want to try and identify a relatively decent
step by step process of moving into the ASP.Net world.

I have weak skills with HTML but strong backend db understanding including
SQL server and ADO. Can I get some opinions (be nice) as to a path into
ASP.Net? Books? Training Courses (CD, I can't travel)? Hit and miss?

I've used the MS newsgroups on and off for a long time and find that most
posters here are pretty knowledgeable so I'm hoping that I can take a lead
from everyone's past experiences.

Thanks very much!!!

Rich

Hermit Dave

a book is good enough to start with. Start with something like Wrox Press
(not around any longer but you just might be lucky to find a book) Begining
ASP.NET
Wrox used to have really great book to start with (a lot of spoon feeding
which tends to get boring once you know the system)
(lucky indeed)

--
Regards,
HD
"RDavid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I know I'll probably get a whole host of opinions, perhaps some vocal and
> some not, but here goes.
>
> I've developed in VB for many years and only now have decided that I need
> move into the 21st century. I want to try and identify a relatively
> decent
> step by step process of moving into the ASP.Net world.
>
> I have weak skills with HTML but strong backend db understanding including
> SQL server and ADO. Can I get some opinions (be nice) as to a path into
> ASP.Net? Books? Training Courses (CD, I can't travel)? Hit and miss?
>
> I've used the MS newsgroups on and off for a long time and find that most
> posters here are pretty knowledgeable so I'm hoping that I can take a lead
> from everyone's past experiences.
>

> Thanks very much!!!
>
> Rich

RDavid

Thanks Hermit!

I'll check out the costs from Amazon in the US on that title.

You suggest that a book is okay to "start" with? Am I in for something more
extreme?

Rich

"Hermit Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> a book is good enough to start with. Start with something like Wrox Press
> (not around any longer but you just might be lucky to find a book)

Begining
> ASP.NET
> Wrox used to have really great book to start with (a lot of spoon feeding
> which tends to get boring once you know the system)

> (lucky indeed)
>
> --
> Regards,
> HD
> Once a Geek.... Always a Geek
> "RDavid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I know I'll probably get a whole host of opinions, perhaps some vocal

and
> > some not, but here goes.
> >
> > I've developed in VB for many years and only now have decided that I

need
> > move into the 21st century. I want to try and identify a relatively
> > decent
> > step by step process of moving into the ASP.Net world.
> >
> > I have weak skills with HTML but strong backend db understanding

including
> > SQL server and ADO. Can I get some opinions (be nice) as to a path into
> > ASP.Net? Books? Training Courses (CD, I can't travel)? Hit and miss?
> >
> > I've used the MS newsgroups on and off for a long time and find that

most
> > posters here are pretty knowledgeable so I'm hoping that I can take a

lead
> > from everyone's past experiences.
> >

> > Thanks very much!!!
> >
> > Rich

Michael Pearson

For a book I love ASP.Net Unleashed by Stephen Walther.
The Wrox books are usually great as well.

Michael
"RDavid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I know I'll probably get a whole host of opinions, perhaps some vocal and
> some not, but here goes.
>
> I've developed in VB for many years and only now have decided that I need

> move into the 21st century. I want to try and identify a relatively

decent
> step by step process of moving into the ASP.Net world.
>
> I have weak skills with HTML but strong backend db understanding including
> SQL server and ADO. Can I get some opinions (be nice) as to a path into
> ASP.Net? Books? Training Courses (CD, I can't travel)? Hit and miss?
>
> I've used the MS newsgroups on and off for a long time and find that most
> posters here are pretty knowledgeable so I'm hoping that I can take a lead
> from everyone's past experiences.
>

> Thanks very much!!!
>
> Rich

---

Hermit Dave

I think that's been the most selling title ever from Wrox (think i remember
Dave Sussman mentioning that)
Extreme ? trust me i have used Wrox in past... they used to have stuff good
for beginners
if you want a bit more advanced... lemme know.. will find you something...

--
Regards,
HD
Once a Geek.... Always a Geek
"RDavid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Hermit!
>
> I'll check out the costs from Amazon in the US on that title.
>
> You suggest that a book is okay to "start" with? Am I in for something
> more
> extreme?
>
> Rich
>

> "Hermit Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23b$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> a book is good enough to start with. Start with something like Wrox Press
>> (not around any longer but you just might be lucky to find a book)

> Begining
>> ASP.NET
>> Wrox used to have really great book to start with (a lot of spoon feeding
>> which tends to get boring once you know the system)
>>

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...136575-5552612
>> (lucky indeed)
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> HD
>> Once a Geek.... Always a Geek
>> "RDavid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I know I'll probably get a whole host of opinions, perhaps some vocal

> and
>> > some not, but here goes.
>> >
>> > I've developed in VB for many years and only now have decided that I

> need
>> > move into the 21st century. I want to try and identify a relatively
>> > decent
>> > step by step process of moving into the ASP.Net world.
>> >
>> > I have weak skills with HTML but strong backend db understanding

> including
>> > SQL server and ADO. Can I get some opinions (be nice) as to a path
>> > into
>> > ASP.Net? Books? Training Courses (CD, I can't travel)? Hit and
>> > miss?
>> >
>> > I've used the MS newsgroups on and off for a long time and find that

> most
>> > posters here are pretty knowledgeable so I'm hoping that I can take a

> lead
>> > from everyone's past experiences.
>> >

>> > Thanks very much!!!
>> >
>> > Rich

Martin

Well, I think I had the same experience as you when I started. I started by
looking at the tutorials on www.asp.net. After that I followed a course:
Introduction to asp.net. That helped me a lot.
This www.asp.net can be very helpfull, once you know your way in it.
Especially the link at tutorials --> Web Forms Controls Reference.

"RDavid" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I know I'll probably get a whole host of opinions, perhaps some vocal and
> some not, but here goes.
>
> I've developed in VB for many years and only now have decided that I need

> move into the 21st century. I want to try and identify a relatively

decent
> step by step process of moving into the ASP.Net world.
>
> I have weak skills with HTML but strong backend db understanding including
> SQL server and ADO. Can I get some opinions (be nice) as to a path into
> ASP.Net? Books? Training Courses (CD, I can't travel)? Hit and miss?
>
> I've used the MS newsgroups on and off for a long time and find that most
> posters here are pretty knowledgeable so I'm hoping that I can take a lead
> from everyone's past experiences.
>

> Thanks very much!!!
>
> Rich

JiangZemin

"RDavid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I know I'll probably get a whole host of opinions, perhaps some vocal and
> some not, but here goes.
>
> I've developed in VB for many years and only now have decided that I need

> move into the 21st century. I want to try and identify a relatively

decent
> step by step process of moving into the ASP.Net world.
>
> I have weak skills with HTML but strong backend db understanding including
> SQL server and ADO. Can I get some opinions (be nice) as to a path into
> ASP.Net? Books? Training Courses (CD, I can't travel)? Hit and miss?
>
> I've used the MS newsgroups on and off for a long time and find that most
> posters here are pretty knowledgeable so I'm hoping that I can take a lead
> from everyone's past experiences.
>

> Thanks very much!!!
>
> Rich

the IBuySpy kits are useful (as in they actually do something similar to
real-world applications) and easy to get into:

http://ibuyspy.com/Default.aspx?tabindex=5&tabid=42

hope this helps