Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Plastic that acts like metal

Plastic that acts like metal

Nomen Nescio

RichA

On Mar 11, 12:29*am, "Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> http://arstechnica.com/science/news/...-get-plastic-t...

Conducting heat will have some uses, but being as STRONG as metal
isn't in the cards, is it?

Nomen Nescio

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
wrote:
> http://arstechnica.com/science/news/...-get-plastic-t...

Conducting heat will have some uses, but being as STRONG as metal
isn't in the cards, is it?

Some plastics are stronger than some metals. Mercury is a metal, Sodium is a
metal I wouldn't want a camera made of either.

Ray Fischer

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> http://arstechnica.com/science/news/...-get-plastic-t...

>Conducting heat will have some uses, but being as STRONG as metal
>isn't in the cards, is it?

Because often you need something stronger.
Or lighter.
Or cheaper.

--
Ray Fischer

RichA

On Mar 11, 10:40*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
> RichA *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > "Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >>http://arstechnica.com/science/news/...-get-plastic-t....

> >Conducting heat will have some uses, but being as STRONG as metal
> >isn't in the cards, is it?

> Because often you need something stronger.
> Or lighter.
> Or cheaper.

Bingo! Your third answer is the one!!!

Ray Fischer

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mar 11, 10:40*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>> RichA *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > "Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> >Conducting heat will have some uses, but being as STRONG as metal
>> >isn't in the cards, is it?

>> Because often you need something stronger.
>> Or lighter.
>> Or cheaper.

>Bingo! Your third answer is the one!!!

Which you should appreciate given the cheap camera that you bought.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

J. Caldwell

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:15:03 +0900, "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Ray Fischer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:4b9b0b55$0$1590$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Bingo! Your third answer is the one!!!

>> Which you should appreciate given the cheap camera that you bought.

>You all are forgetting the important issue: ruggedness. This is an area that
>all metal cameras are incredibly poor at. A plastic shell over a metal frame
>(the basic design of all dSLRs) is way superior to metal over metal (Nikon
>F, Olympus OM, Hasselblad 500 series) because it absorbs shocks instead of
>transmitting them, and recovers instead of denting.

It's not that simple. I have an excellent super-zoom P&S camera with a
titanium outer shell. It's survived things that no plastic-shelled camera
would (as well as it having taken images that no other camera could have
taken, all things considered--environment, subject, camera features, etc.).
There's one documented report of a jeep running over one of these cameras,
the tire full-on to the body and lens. The only thing that happened was a
small crack by a mounting screw hole. Had these been made with a different
type of metal shell it would have been badly deformed and/or cracked all
over. Had these been made with plastic over a metal shell the same would
hold true, especially if temperatures were low enough to make the plastics
more brittle.

It's a matter of environment, design and materials, not just materials.
Being an avid nature photographer I would never buy the kind of camera that
someone in a studio would need and tolerate using. It wouldn't last even
one week under the conditions that I have used most cameras. Conversely
they would think that my camera choice would be just as poor as I think
their choice to be. Or you could buy a Leica M8, mount it on a tripod with
a hefty lens and have its nice sturdy metal plate on the bottom snap off
and send your $5000 lens smashing into the sidewalk or cement studio-floor.
Caused by no extra stress nor abuse to the camera at all. Merely mounting
it to a tripod with a larger lens is cause enough. A known issue with these
cameras due to very poor base-plate design. Metal + poor design can be just
as bad as plastic + poor design. Conversely, plastic + good design can be
just as good as metal + good design, when used in the environmental
conditions for which they were intended. It'll never be an either/or
situation.

Robert Coe

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 18:15:13 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On Mar 11, 10:40*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
: > RichA *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > > "Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)>
: > >>http://arstechnica.com/science/news/...-get-plastic-t...
: >
: > >Conducting heat will have some uses, but being as STRONG as metal
: > >isn't in the cards, is it?
: >
: > Because often you need something stronger.
: > Or lighter.
: > Or cheaper.
:
: Bingo! Your third answer is the one!!!

This from a man who's recently been conducting a one-man crusade against the
price of high-end cameras.

What's wrong with trying to use the cheapest materials that will do the job?
That's why they make boats, airplanes, and sometimes automobile bodies, out of
plastic.

But you know all this, don't you? If you didn't, you'd at least pretend that
you did. Most of the people in the photography groups appear to be college
graduates who work in (or are retired from careers in) fairly technical
fields. You wouldn't embarrass yourself in front of us if you could halp it.
What, exactly, are you trying to prove?

Bob

J. Caldwell

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 08:36:43 -0600, Neil Ellwood
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 01:57:15 -0600, J. Caldwell wrote:
>

>> It's not that simple. I have an excellent super-zoom P&S camera with a
>> titanium outer shell. It's survived things that no plastic-shelled
>> camera would (as well as it having taken images that no other camera
>> could have taken, all things considered--environment, subject, camera
>> features, etc.). There's one documented report of a jeep running over
>> one of these cameras, the tire full-on to the body and lens. The only
>> thing that happened was a small crack by a mounting screw hole. Had
>> these been made with a different type of metal shell it would have been
>> badly deformed and/or cracked all over. Had these been made with plastic
>> over a metal shell the same would hold true, especially if temperatures
>> were low enough to make the plastics more brittle.
>>
>> It's a matter of environment, design and materials, not just materials.
>> Being an avid nature photographer I would never buy the kind of camera
>> that someone in a studio would need and tolerate using. It wouldn't last
>> even one week under the conditions that I have used most cameras.
>> Conversely they would think that my camera choice would be just as poor
>> as I think their choice to be. Or you could buy a Leica M8, mount it on
>> a tripod with a hefty lens and have its nice sturdy metal plate on the
>> bottom snap off and send your $5000 lens smashing into the sidewalk or
>> cement studio-floor. Caused by no extra stress nor abuse to the camera
>> at all. Merely mounting it to a tripod with a larger lens is cause
>> enough. A known issue with these cameras due to very poor base-plate
>> design. Metal + poor design can be just as bad as plastic + poor design.
>> Conversely, plastic + good design can be just as good as metal + good
>> design, when used in the environmental conditions for which they were
>> intended. It'll never be an either/or situation.

>It is not bad base plate design - it is poor photographic technique, A
>heavy lens/camera combination should be mounted on a tripod via the tripod
>mount on the lens.

This happened when using lenses that didn't even have a tripod mount
thread. I suggest you study up on these things before you reply.

dj_nme

Neil Ellwood wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 01:57:15 -0600, J. Caldwell wrote:
>
>> It's not that simple. I have an excellent super-zoom P&S camera with a
>> titanium outer shell. It's survived things that no plastic-shelled
>> camera would (as well as it having taken images that no other camera
>> could have taken, all things considered--environment, subject, camera
>> features, etc.). There's one documented report of a jeep running over
>> one of these cameras, the tire full-on to the body and lens. The only
>> thing that happened was a small crack by a mounting screw hole. Had
>> these been made with a different type of metal shell it would have been
>> badly deformed and/or cracked all over. Had these been made with plastic
>> over a metal shell the same would hold true, especially if temperatures
>> were low enough to make the plastics more brittle.
>>
>> It's a matter of environment, design and materials, not just materials.
>> Being an avid nature photographer I would never buy the kind of camera
>> that someone in a studio would need and tolerate using. It wouldn't last
>> even one week under the conditions that I have used most cameras.
>> Conversely they would think that my camera choice would be just as poor
>> as I think their choice to be. Or you could buy a Leica M8, mount it on
>> a tripod with a hefty lens and have its nice sturdy metal plate on the
>> bottom snap off and send your $5000 lens smashing into the sidewalk or
>> cement studio-floor. Caused by no extra stress nor abuse to the camera
>> at all. Merely mounting it to a tripod with a larger lens is cause
>> enough. A known issue with these cameras due to very poor base-plate
>> design. Metal + poor design can be just as bad as plastic + poor design.
>> Conversely, plastic + good design can be just as good as metal + good
>> design, when used in the environmental conditions for which they were
>> intended. It'll never be an either/or situation.

> It is not bad base plate design - it is poor photographic technique, A
> heavy lens/camera combination should be mounted on a tripod via the tripod
> mount on the lens.

Not with the lenses that the fault has been reported from.
Have a look at the LUG website forum: the M8 baseplate seems to be not
designed to take the load of an M8 body mounted on a tripod in portrait
orientation.
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...e-failure.html
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...y-failure.html