Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telecom !@#$% Web Caching

Telecom !@#$% Web Caching

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

I’ve got a client using Telecom as their ISP at their office. They’ve got
some Web pages at an external hosting provider, and they’ve been having
repeated trouble trying to see updated versions of those Web pages every
time they upload them.

I just checked by going into their main Linux server (on the same premises)
and using wget to access the page, and comparing that with how it looks
doing the same thing from my own machine. And I see the updated page, while
their server doesn’t.

So that clinches it: it’s pretty clearly Telecom doing some kind of Web
caching, and not doing it properly.

Why would Telecom be doing this for business customers? Doesn’t it charge
them enough?

Gordon

On 2010-03-11, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> I’ve got a client using Telecom as their ISP at their office. They’ve got
> some Web pages at an external hosting provider, and they’ve been having
> repeated trouble trying to see updated versions of those Web pages every
> time they upload them.
>
> I just checked by going into their main Linux server (on the same premises)
> and using wget to access the page, and comparing that with how it looks
> doing the same thing from my own machine. And I see the updated page, while
> their server doesn’t.
>
> So that clinches it: it’s pretty clearly Telecom doing some kind of Web
> caching, and not doing it properly.

Just like the XT network.

> Why would Telecom be doing this for business customers? Doesn’t it charge
> them enough?

No, Telecom will always accept more profit.

Your Name

news:hn9miv$eeg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got a client using Telecom as their ISP at their office. They've got
> some Web pages at an external hosting provider, and they've been having
> repeated trouble trying to see updated versions of those Web pages every
> time they upload them.
>
> I just checked by going into their main Linux server (on the same

premises)
> and using wget to access the page, and comparing that with how it looks
> doing the same thing from my own machine. And I see the updated page,

while
> their server doesn't.
>
> So that clinches it: it's pretty clearly Telecom doing some kind of Web
> caching, and not doing it properly.
>
> Why would Telecom be doing this for business customers? Doesn't it charge
> them enough?

All ISPs use caching and proxy servers so that it cuts down on their having
to pay for overseas traffic.

If you're thinking of changing ISPs, stay well away from Vodafone as well.
They completely delete any emails THEY think are spam - nothing is stored in
the spam folder for you to retrieve.

Simon

On Mar 11, 4:03*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> Why would Telecom be doing this for business customers? Doesnt it charge
> them enough?

Quite obviously they are trying to lower the costs associated with
traffic, just like most ISP's. Personally, I have not encountered the
same issues your client is experiencing. Perhaps you should contact
Telecom and discuss the matter directly with them in an effort to
resolve it.

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> I’ve got a client using Telecom as their ISP at their office. They’ve got
> some Web pages at an external hosting provider, and they’ve been having
> repeated trouble trying to see updated versions of those Web pages every
> time they upload them.
>
> I just checked by going into their main Linux server (on the same premises)
> and using wget to access the page, and comparing that with how it looks
> doing the same thing from my own machine. And I see the updated page, while
> their server doesn’t.
>
> So that clinches it: it’s pretty clearly Telecom doing some kind of Web
> caching, and not doing it properly.
>
> Why would Telecom be doing this for business customers? Doesn’t it charge
> them enough?

I have checked it out and telecom obay the cache directives properly. It
is not an ISP problem it is a server problem not telling them when to
expire it.

Sweetpea

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:03:58 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> I’ve got a client using Telecom as their ISP at their office. They’ve
> got some Web pages at an external hosting provider, and they’ve been
> having repeated trouble trying to see updated versions of those Web
> pages every time they upload them.
>
> I just checked by going into their main Linux server (on the same
> premises) and using wget to access the page, and comparing that with how
> it looks doing the same thing from my own machine. And I see the updated
> page, while their server doesn’t.
>
> So that clinches it: it’s pretty clearly Telecom doing some kind of Web
> caching, and not doing it properly.
>
> Why would Telecom be doing this for business customers? Doesn’t it
> charge them enough?

Telecom is considerably lacking in being able to deliver reliable services.

Brocker

On Mar 11, 4:03*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Ive got a client using Telecom as their ISP at their office. Theyve got
> some Web pages at an external hosting provider, and theyve been having
> repeated trouble trying to see updated versions of those Web pages every
> time they upload them.
>
> I just checked by going into their main Linux server (on the same premises)
> and using wget to access the page, and comparing that with how it looks
> doing the same thing from my own machine. And I see the updated page, while
> their server doesnt.
>
> So that clinches it: its pretty clearly Telecom doing some kind of Web
> caching, and not doing it properly.
>
> Why would Telecom be doing this for business customers? Doesnt it charge
> them enough?

So what was Telecoms response? Presumably if you acting on behalf of
as client you've called the helpdesk or whatever and have only arrived
here because they failed to address the issue.

Old Wolf

On Mar 11, 4:03*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Ive got a client using Telecom as their ISP at their office. Theyve got
> some Web pages at an external hosting provider, and theyve been having
> repeated trouble trying to see updated versions of those Web pages every
> time they upload them.

At least you can see the old version of the pages. With TelstraClear
they
just change a whole lot of pages to be completely blank.