Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless problems, again...

Wireless problems, again...

Mike

I have a small office with a mix of XP & Vista laptops, mostly Dells,
that are all connecting to the LAN wireless.
I am using a Linksys WRT54G & cannot seem to keep it running!
The office isn't that large, any any where in it, the signal is very
strong.
At least once a week I will get calls about people not being able to
connect.
They will be connected to the local network, but not have internet
access & I will have to talk them through deleting the connection & re-
creating it & things will be fine, for a while.
Or they will unplug the power to the Linksys & all will be well.
I can guarantee you I can walk in there with my laptop & will be able
to connect with out a hitch, though.
COuld it be the Linksys?
Are there better brands I could look at?

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Or could be that the users are doing things ((be known, or unbeknown) that
cause these problems, and unless you are there for a while and see what they
are actually doing you will not solve the problems for the long run.
Routers are actually mini computers (most on a level comparable to the old
486 processor)
Just like a computer that would freeze (or run very slow) if the mem is too
low, or the load on the CPU is too heavy, or the OS (firmware) that runs
them was implemented in a sloppy manner.
At the sub $200, price does not necessarily indicate a better Router; some
Brands tend to be more expensive than the others regardless of quality. They
cost more because the Brand spend more money on marketing.
If you want solid service you should buy for an office environment SOHO
Router and professional Access Point.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a small office with a mix of XP & Vista laptops, mostly Dells,
> that are all connecting to the LAN wireless.
> I am using a Linksys WRT54G & cannot seem to keep it running!
> The office isn't that large, any any where in it, the signal is very
> strong.
> At least once a week I will get calls about people not being able to
> connect.
> They will be connected to the local network, but not have internet
> access & I will have to talk them through deleting the connection & re-
> creating it & things will be fine, for a while.
> Or they will unplug the power to the Linksys & all will be well.
> I can guarantee you I can walk in there with my laptop & will be able
> to connect with out a hitch, though.
> COuld it be the Linksys?
> Are there better brands I could look at?

Mike

Unfortunatley, it's always a case of 'this guy can't get on, but
everybody else is fine'.
They also say a lot of times they will have to reboot the router & all
will be fine.
I considered the possibility of power glitches, shutting things down &
then coming back up in the wrong order, but have put the cable
company's router & wireless router on a UPS.
Any suggestions for maybe a better wireless router?

On Mar 10, 1:29*pm, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi
> Or could be that the users are doing things ((be known, or unbeknown) that
> cause these problems, and unless you are there for a while and see what they
> are actually doing you will not solve the problems for the long run.
> Routers are actually mini computers (most on a level comparable to the old
> 486 processor)
> Just like a computer that would freeze (or run very slow) if the mem is too
> low, or the load on the CPU is too heavy, or the OS (firmware) that runs
> them was implemented in a sloppy manner.
> At the sub $200, price does not necessarily indicate a better Router; some
> Brands tend to be more expensive than the others regardless of quality. They
> cost more because the Brand spend more money on marketing.
> If you want solid service you should buy for an office environment SOHO
> Router and professional Access Point.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> >I have a small office with a mix of XP & Vista laptops, mostly Dells,
> > that are all connecting to the LAN wireless.
> > I am using a Linksys WRT54G & cannot seem to keep it running!
> > The office isn't that large, any any where in it, the signal is very
> > strong.
> > At least once a week I will get calls about people not being able to
> > connect.
> > They will be connected to the local network, but not have internet
> > access & I will have to talk them through deleting the connection & re-
> > creating it & things will be fine, for a while.
> > Or they will unplug the power to the Linksys & all will be well.
> > I can guarantee you I can walk in there with my laptop & will be able
> > to connect with out a hitch, though.
> > COuld it be the Linksys?
> > Are there better brands I could look at?- Hide quoted text -

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Within the sub $100 group, this is probably the best offer.
Otherwise take a look at the Mid prices Proxim line,
http://www.proxim.com/products/landing_wlan.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:
> Hi
> Or could be that the users are doing things ((be known, or unbeknown) that
> cause these problems, and unless you are there for a while and see what
> they
> are actually doing you will not solve the problems for the long run.
> Routers are actually mini computers (most on a level comparable to the old
> 486 processor)
> Just like a computer that would freeze (or run very slow) if the mem is
> too
> low, or the load on the CPU is too heavy, or the OS (firmware) that runs
> them was implemented in a sloppy manner.
> At the sub $200, price does not necessarily indicate a better Router; some
> Brands tend to be more expensive than the others regardless of quality.
> They
> cost more because the Brand spend more money on marketing.
> If you want solid service you should buy for an office environment SOHO
> Router and professional Access Point.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> >I have a small office with a mix of XP & Vista laptops, mostly Dells,
> > that are all connecting to the LAN wireless.
> > I am using a Linksys WRT54G & cannot seem to keep it running!
> > The office isn't that large, any any where in it, the signal is very
> > strong.
> > At least once a week I will get calls about people not being able to
> > connect.
> > They will be connected to the local network, but not have internet
> > access & I will have to talk them through deleting the connection & re-
> > creating it & things will be fine, for a while.
> > Or they will unplug the power to the Linksys & all will be well.
> > I can guarantee you I can walk in there with my laptop & will be able
> > to connect with out a hitch, though.
> > COuld it be the Linksys?
> > Are there better brands I could look at?- Hide quoted text -

smlunatick

On Mar 12, 4:15*pm, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi
> Within the sub $100 group, this is probably the best offer.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162134
> Otherwise take a look at the Mid prices Proxim line,http://www.proxim.com/products/landing_wlan.html
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Unfortunatley, it's always a case of 'this guy can't get on, but
> everybody else is fine'.
> They also say a lot of times they will have to reboot the router & all
> will be fine.
> I considered the possibility of power glitches, shutting things down &
> then coming back up in the wrong order, but have put the cable
> company's router & wireless router on a UPS.
> Any suggestions for maybe a better wireless router?
>
> On Mar 10, 1:29 pm, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > Or could be that the users are doing things ((be known, or unbeknown) that
> > cause these problems, and unless you are there for a while and see what
> > they
> > are actually doing you will not solve the problems for the long run.
> > Routers are actually mini computers (most on a level comparable to the old
> > 486 processor)
> > Just like a computer that would freeze (or run very slow) if the mem is
> > too
> > low, or the load on the CPU is too heavy, or the OS (firmware) that runs
> > them was implemented in a sloppy manner.
> > At the sub $200, price does not necessarily indicate a better Router; some
> > Brands tend to be more expensive than the others regardless of quality.
> > They
> > cost more because the Brand spend more money on marketing.
> > If you want solid service you should buy for an office environment SOHO
> > Router and professional Access Point.
> > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

> > "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > >I have a small office with a mix of XP & Vista laptops, mostly Dells,
> > > that are all connecting to the LAN wireless.
> > > I am using a Linksys WRT54G & cannot seem to keep it running!
> > > The office isn't that large, any any where in it, the signal is very
> > > strong.
> > > At least once a week I will get calls about people not being able to
> > > connect.
> > > They will be connected to the local network, but not have internet
> > > access & I will have to talk them through deleting the connection & re-
> > > creating it & things will be fine, for a while.
> > > Or they will unplug the power to the Linksys & all will be well.
> > > I can guarantee you I can walk in there with my laptop & will be able
> > > to connect with out a hitch, though.
> > > COuld it be the Linksys?
> > > Are there better brands I could look at?- Hide quoted text -

I have seen incredible connecting / connection problems with both D-
Link and Linksys routers in general. This is because these are low
end wireless (enterprise models are usually more reliable but
extremely expensive) all tend to be shipped with the same "default"
settings:

Channel 6
No wireless security (no WEP or WPA(2) settings)
same default passwords across the model line.

I have had better experience with Netgear router myself.

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
It is Not feasible to buy Wireless hardware by Brand. Each Brand has Good
Model, and Bad Model. Sometimes even within the Model the device is Not the
same (As an example WRT54G v1-4 is not the same core hardware as v5-8, and
the v1-4 are better).
Currently of the 802.11g the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 provides the best
performance (that does not imply that every thing else made by Buffalo is
the best of its category).
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
wrote:
> [...]

> > > re-
> > > creating it & things will be fine, for a while.
> > > Or they will unplug the power to the Linksys & all will be well.
> > > I can guarantee you I can walk in there with my laptop & will be able
> > > to connect with out a hitch, though.
> > > COuld it be the Linksys?
> > > Are there better brands I could look at?- Hide quoted text -

I have seen incredible connecting / connection problems with both D-
Link and Linksys routers in general. This is because these are low
end wireless (enterprise models are usually more reliable but
extremely expensive) all tend to be shipped with the same "default"
settings:

Channel 6
No wireless security (no WEP or WPA(2) settings)
same default passwords across the model line.

I have had better experience with Netgear router myself.

On Mar 12, 2:41*pm, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> [...]

> > > They
> > > cost more because the Brand spend more money on marketing.
> > > If you want solid service you should buy for an office environment SOHO
> > > Router and professional Access Point.
> > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

> > > "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > >news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> I have seen incredible connecting / connection problems with both D-
> Link and Linksys routers in general. *This is because these are low
> end wireless (enterprise models are usually more reliable but
> extremely expensive) all tend to be shipped with the same "default"
> settings:
>
> Channel 6
> No wireless security (no WEP or WPA(2) settings)
> same default passwords across the model line.
>
> I have had better experience with Netgear router myself.

I will look into the model you suggested, as price really isn't a
factor in this case.
They just want something that is reliable.

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
It is very stable and since it has High Power RF amplifier at the Wireless
output it provide a stronger signal than the other sub 100 Devices.
However No Entry Level Wireless is reliable if people in the house hold use
it for around the clock p2p downloads.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
wrote:
> [...]

> > > SOHO
> > > Router and professional Access Point.
> > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

> > > "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have seen incredible connecting / connection problems with both D-
> Link and Linksys routers in general. This is because these are low
> end wireless (enterprise models are usually more reliable but
> extremely expensive) all tend to be shipped with the same "default"
> settings:
>
> Channel 6
> No wireless security (no WEP or WPA(2) settings)
> same default passwords across the model line.
>
> I have had better experience with Netgear router myself.

I will look into the model you suggested, as price really isn't a
factor in this case.
They just want something that is reliable.

One other question, some users complain that when they come from home
to work or vice-versa, they have problems connecting, as if IP
settings aren't being released when they shut down in one location.
Any suggestions there?

On Mar 12, 9:45*pm, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi
> It is very stable and since it has High Power RF amplifier at the Wireless
> output it provide a stronger signal than the other sub 100 Devices.
> However No Entry Level Wireless is reliable if people in the house hold use
> it for around the clock p2p downloads.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mar 12, 2:41 pm, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> > Hi
> > It is Not feasible to buy Wireless hardware by Brand. Each Brand has Good
> > Model, and Bad Model. Sometimes even within the Model the device is Not
> > the
> > same (As an example WRT54G v1-4 is not the same core hardware as v5-8, and
> > the v1-4 are better).
> > Currently of the 802.11g the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 provides the best
> > performance (that does not imply that every thing else made by Buffalo is
> > the best of its category).
> > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

> > "smlunatick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)....
> > On Mar 12, 4:15 pm, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

> > > Hi
> > > Within the sub $100 group, this is probably the best
> > > offer.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162134
> > > Otherwise take a look at the Mid prices Proxim
> > > line,http://www.proxim.com/products/landing_wlan.html
> > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

> > > "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > >news:(E-Mail Removed)....
> > > Unfortunatley, it's always a case of 'this guy can't get on, but
> > > everybody else is fine'.
> > > They also say a lot of times they will have to reboot the router & all
> > > will be fine.
> > > I considered the possibility of power glitches, shutting things down &
> > > then coming back up in the wrong order, but have put the cable
> > > company's router & wireless router on a UPS.
> > > Any suggestions for maybe a better wireless router?

> > I have seen incredible connecting / connection problems with both D-
> > Link and Linksys routers in general. This is because these are low
> > end wireless (enterprise models are usually more reliable but
> > extremely expensive) all tend to be shipped with the same "default"
> > settings:

> > Channel 6
> > No wireless security (no WEP or WPA(2) settings)
> > same default passwords across the model line.

> > I have had better experience with Netgear router myself.

> I will look into the model you suggested, as price really isn't a
> factor in this case.
> They just want something that is reliable.- Hide quoted text -

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
It depends on what is used as Wireless Utility and how the Wireless Networks
are configured.
If people use the Native Windows utility (WZC), and the Network that they
are logging to are broadcasting the SSID then it should be smooth logging.
The Windows Utility needs to be configured according to the needs
(I.e.,check the relevant Entries), and making sure that only the Networks
that they want to connect to are in the preferred list.
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...