Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Interface status monitoring

Interface status monitoring

flamer die.spam@hotmail.com

Is there any option on a cisco switch to have an interface replicate
the status of another interface?

Ie. if port fa0/20 goes into status up/down I would like fa0/10 to go
to up/down (or admin down - doesn't matter).

Is it possible?

Flamer.

bod43

On 9 Mar, 21:09, "flamer (E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Is there any option on a cisco switch to have an interface replicate
> the status of another interface?
>
> Ie. if port fa0/20 goes into status up/down I would like fa0/10 to go
> to up/down (or admin down - doesn't matter).
>
> Is it possible?

I assume you want the interfaces to have the same status,
i.e. both up or both down.

You can now do this with the event manager. This is not
on all IOS feature sets.

You could creat an event on the log message about
the first interface and then issue commands to
change the second one.

Here is an example that logs all commands issued
to the log.

event manager applet CLIaccounting
event cli pattern ".*" sync no skip no
action 1.0 syslog priority informational msg "$_cli_msg"
set 2.0 _exit_status 1

Perhaps you can create events that are triggered directly
by interface status.

If you alternatively want the second one to come up
when the first goes down consider "backup interface".
May or may not work on Ethernet.

drdisk@drdisk.de

bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Ie. if port fa0/20 goes into status up/down I would like fa0/10 to go
>> to up/down (or admin down - doesn't matter).
>>
>> Is it possible?

> I assume you want the interfaces to have the same status,
> i.e. both up or both down.
>
> You can now do this with the event manager. This is not
> on all IOS feature sets.

Or use "Link state tracking".

See e.g. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/swit.../swethchl.html

Availiability may also be limited to certain models.

Ciao Chris
--
All diese Momente werden verloren sein in der Zeit, so wie Tränen im Regen
Dipl-Ing (FH) Christian 'Dr. Disk' Hechelmann <(E-Mail Removed)> IRC: DrDisk

drdisk@drdisk.de