Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > DSP with Digital Components?

DSP with Digital Components?

laserbeak43

Hello,
I want to learn DSP, but most teaching methods i've seen involve some
form of BASIC. I want to learn to create DSP applications from actual
digital components. I was wondering if someone had some sort of
"cookbook" that would tell me what kinds of components i would need to
put together in order to achieve this? Oh and how to put them together
too(order and algorithm info etc.). I could probably make the
components(If they are low-level enough) to handle the rest.

Thanks,
Malik

Tricky

On 9 Mar, 16:08, laserbeak43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to learn DSP, but most teaching methods i've seen involve some
> form of BASIC. I want to learn to create DSP applications from actual
> digital components. I was wondering if someone had some sort of
> "cookbook" that would tell me what kinds of components i would need to
> put together in order to achieve this? Oh and how to put them together
> too(order and algorithm info etc.). I could probably make the
> components(If they are low-level enough) to handle the rest.
>
> Thanks,
> Malik

Try investigating FPGAs.

www.altera.com
www.xilinx.com

laserbeak43

On Mar 9, 12:08*pm, Tricky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 9 Mar, 16:08, laserbeak43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I want to learn DSP, but most teaching methods i've seen involve some
> > form of BASIC. I want to learn to create DSP applications from actual
> > digital components. I was wondering if someone had some sort of
> > "cookbook" that would tell me what kinds of components i would need to
> > put together in order to achieve this? Oh and how to put them together
> > too(order and algorithm info etc.). I could probably make the
> > components(If they are low-level enough) to handle the rest.

> > Thanks,
> > Malik

> Try investigating FPGAs.
>
> www.altera.comwww.xilinx.com

Thanks for the reply,
I've had a Spartan 3E Starter Kit from Digilent, and I've just
ordered the DE2 from Terasic.
I'm just looking for some information that i could use to learn to
write DSP in VHDL.

rickman

On Mar 9, 8:34*pm, laserbeak43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 12:08*pm, Tricky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On 9 Mar, 16:08, laserbeak43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Hello,
> > > I want to learn DSP, but most teaching methods i've seen involve some
> > > form of BASIC. I want to learn to create DSP applications from actual
> > > digital components. I was wondering if someone had some sort of
> > > "cookbook" that would tell me what kinds of components i would need to
> > > put together in order to achieve this? Oh and how to put them together
> > > too(order and algorithm info etc.). I could probably make the
> > > components(If they are low-level enough) to handle the rest.

> > > Thanks,
> > > Malik

> > Try investigating FPGAs.

> >www.altera.comwww.xilinx.com

> Thanks for the reply,
> * *I've had a Spartan 3E Starter Kit from Digilent, and I've just
> ordered the DE2 from Terasic.
> I'm just looking for some information that i could use to learn to
> write DSP in VHDL.

I don't know what you mean about learning DSP in BASIC. I have seen a
lot of intros to DSP and none of them had examples in BASIC.

If you want to learn DSP, it is a field all into itself and is much
more rich and complex than any of the areas of implementation, which
is an area of study into itself as well. If you know VHDL and want to
learn DSP, then just focus on DSP. If you know neither DSP nor VHDL,
then I wouldn't recommend that you try to learn both at once. Learn
to use VHDL first by studying the typical examples implementing
something you understand, like a soda machine or a traffic light
controller. Then once you are very comfortable with VHDL, start
learning DSP... separately from VHDL. Then once you understand DSP at
a basic level (pun intended) focus on combining the two with one of
the texts discussing DSP in VHDL.

I expect that if you try to learn both at once, you will learn neither
very well. Learning the two together is just a huge bite to chew.

Rick

laserbeak43

On Mar 10, 11:05*am, rickman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 8:34*pm, laserbeak43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Try investigating FPGAs.

> > >www.altera.comwww.xilinx.com

> > Thanks for the reply,
> > * *I've had a Spartan 3E Starter Kit from Digilent, and I've just
> > ordered the DE2 from Terasic.
> > I'm just looking for some information that i could use to learn to
> > write DSP in VHDL.

> I don't know what you mean about learning DSP in BASIC. *I have seen a
> lot of intros to DSP and none of them had examples in BASIC.
>
> If you want to learn DSP, it is a field all into itself and is much
> more rich and complex than any of the areas of implementation, which
> is an area of study into itself as well. *If you know VHDL and want to
> learn DSP, then just focus on DSP. *If you know neither DSP nor VHDL,
> then I wouldn't recommend that you try to learn both at once. *Learn
> to use VHDL first by studying the typical examples implementing
> something you understand, like a soda machine or a traffic light
> controller. *Then once you are very comfortable with VHDL, start
> learning DSP... separately from VHDL. *Then once you understand DSP at
> a basic level (pun intended) focus on combining the two with one of
> the texts discussing DSP in VHDL.
>
> I expect that if you try to learn both at once, you will learn neither
> very well. *Learning the two together is just a huge bite to chew.
>
> Rick

I've learned a bit of both but i'm good at neither. I'm "Comfortable"
with VHDL but I couldn't write my own MCU in it(yet). Would I need to
be able to do something like that before I start learning DSP "WITH"
VHDL?
You've mentioned "one of the texts discussing DSP in VHDL", I haven't
seen these. The only one I know of is Digital Signal Processing with
Field Programmable Gate Arrays, and it's beyond my budget. Is there
anything else?