Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Q: Disconnected DataSets - automatic Add/Remove but with Guid Key instead of AutoIncrement int?

Q: Disconnected DataSets - automatic Add/Remove but with Guid Key instead of AutoIncrement int?

Sky

Hello,
The books on C# I have read talk of using the DataSets in disconnected mode,
and Adding/Removing/Updating records from it, and letting it handle all the
updating on the Database in one batch finale...

But the examples were all based on using auto-increment columns.

Lately I've been backing away from Auto-Increment columns to move to
'uniqueidentifier' guid columns instead for my Key columns -- to allow for
better synching arch. with several disconnected PocketPC's in the future...
(So I've been told...)

Question:
How does one get to use this disconnected abilities of the DataSet if using
Guid's --
AND where I need to provide a new Guid() programmatically at post time if it
is a new record
(why? Because on SqlServer there is a command to do so -- but when porting
to MySQL where they don't have a built in function to generate a Guid if
none provided, you have to provide the value before posting...)

Voila. Convoluted question -- I apologize -- but any info, code sample,
anything that would get me to see the light on this one, would be FANTASTIC!
Sky

Madan Nayak

Hi Sky...

you can use the dataset with the data relations without any attribute being
decared as auto increment.

Do what ever manipulation you want an d finally update on the adapter...

http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/
you can see some dataset code here..

Bye

"Sky" <(E-Mail Removed)-solutions.com> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> The books on C# I have read talk of using the DataSets in disconnected

mode,
> and Adding/Removing/Updating records from it, and letting it handle all

the
> updating on the Database in one batch finale...
>
> But the examples were all based on using auto-increment columns.
>
> Lately I've been backing away from Auto-Increment columns to move to
> 'uniqueidentifier' guid columns instead for my Key columns -- to allow for
> better synching arch. with several disconnected PocketPC's in the

future...
> (So I've been told...)
>
> Question:
> How does one get to use this disconnected abilities of the DataSet if

using
> Guid's --
> AND where I need to provide a new Guid() programmatically at post time if

it
> is a new record
> (why? Because on SqlServer there is a command to do so -- but when porting
> to MySQL where they don't have a built in function to generate a Guid if
> none provided, you have to provide the value before posting...)
>
> Voila. Convoluted question -- I apologize -- but any info, code sample,
> anything that would get me to see the light on this one, would be

FANTASTIC!
> Sky

Sky

Dear Madan:
The place you dumped me was sort of like a shopping mall...where to start?!
Did you have any specific example that you think relevant to the question I
posted?

Thanks so much,
Sky
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...