Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hearing PC noise from earbuds

Hearing PC noise from earbuds

Greg

I have a Dell Vostro 1500 Notebook. I recently installed Windows 7 H. Prem.
on it. I also put a new 500 gig Segate 5400 rpm drive in it also.

I am hearing system noise when I have my earbuds plugged in. Like when the
drive is spinnnig or maybe when my mouse is moving. And every so often it
just stops. Even when I am moving the cursor around.

I thought it may have been my drive failing. So that is why I replaced it.
Plus the fact that I am getting a much better system raiting with this new
drive.

As far as drivers go, I am using the default Microsoft driver for the audio
card. The audio in this case is realtek. I've also tried the Dell Vista
driver for the sound card (they don't have a Windows 7 driver). There is no
difference.

I've tried disabling the on board mic too.

Could it be a grounding problem? I've removed the battery and ran it with
just the power supply. No change. I've ran it off the battery with the power
supply removed. No change.

It seems to be less noticable when I have the power set at balance instead
of high performance.

This wasn't happening when I had Vista on it.

I have a pair of USB headphones. I will try those this evening to see if I
hear anything.

Thanks,
Greg

chuckcar

"Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsL9ln.95271$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a Dell Vostro 1500 Notebook. I recently installed Windows 7 H.
> Prem. on it. I also put a new 500 gig Segate 5400 rpm drive in it
> also.
>
> I am hearing system noise when I have my earbuds plugged in. Like when
> the drive is spinnnig or maybe when my mouse is moving. And every so
> often it just stops. Even when I am moving the cursor around.
>
> I thought it may have been my drive failing. So that is why I replaced
> it.

Lucky. I have no idea how you managed to get that. It surely wasn't
subject to warrenty replacement under such marginal evidence. There
are two things that go wrong with hard drives: the spin motor fails
and/or they get bad sectors. In the former case, you get the click
of death on boot - because since the disk isn't spinning the drive
can't read itself and keeps trying (unsucessfully) to find track 0.
Hence the noise: the head motor. Bad sectors can be found by a simple
full scandisk. If none are found, your drive is still good. You *could*
find out how much of the drives allowed bad sectors are left to see
how much time you have, but you can guess at 5 years total anyways.

> Plus the fact that I am getting a much better system raiting with
> this new drive.

It's newer. You've reinstall windows. Of course it's better. It's as
good as it's going to get because of those two things.

> As far as drivers go, I am using the default Microsoft driver for the
> audio card.

So you *don't* have drivers because you didn't do a update install, but
completely reinstalled windows without getting your necessary drivers.
They should be available from DEll. *Write* a copy of *all* legit
drivers/etc you get from there to a closed session CD and keep it safe.
You *need* those for your computer, even when you're not using XP.

> The audio in this case is realtek. I've also tried the
> Dell Vista driver for the sound card (they don't have a Windows 7
> driver). There is no difference.

You got lucky

> I've tried disabling the on board mic too.

Did you try just muting the microphone in volume control?

> Could it be a grounding problem? I've removed the battery and ran it
> with just the power supply. No change. I've ran it off the battery
> with the power supply removed. No change.
>
> It seems to be less noticable when I have the power set at balance
> instead of high performance.
>
> This wasn't happening when I had Vista on it.
>
> I have a pair of USB headphones. I will try those this evening to see
> if I hear anything.

Do you have directx installed? (almost certainly)

try this:

run: "dxdiag"

click on the sound tab, drag the slider for sound acceleration down one
notch and reboot.

Then try the dell drivers with the same acceleration. *Now* you know which is
better. You have two data points.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

soup

On 08/03/2010 16:39, Greg wrote:

> As far as drivers go, I am using the default Microsoft driver for the audio
> card. The audio in this case is realtek. I've also tried the Dell Vista
> driver for the sound card (they don't have a Windows 7 driver). There is no
> difference.

I would reinforce the comment to find the right driver (if the Realtek
site is no use maybe a 'phone call to realtek will elicit a responce
along the lines of "just use the XP one mate". It was drummed into me
for my A+ that the driver should be checked/updated for any problems
(after checking cabling etc).

Aardvark

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 21:54:51 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> warrenty

WTF?????

> unsucessfully

WTF?????

--
"I can tell you how to become a millionaire in as much time as it takes
a woman to have a baby. One catch: the nine-month plan ends in a funeral."

rf

"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> newsL9ln.95271$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have a Dell Vostro 1500 Notebook. I recently installed Windows 7 H.
>> Prem. on it. I also put a new 500 gig Segate 5400 rpm drive in it
>> also.
>>
>> I am hearing system noise when I have my earbuds plugged in. Like when
>> the drive is spinnnig or maybe when my mouse is moving. And every so
>> often it just stops. Even when I am moving the cursor around.
>>
>> I thought it may have been my drive failing. So that is why I replaced
>> it.

> Lucky. I have no idea how you managed to get that. It surely wasn't
> subject to warrenty replacement under such marginal evidence.

Who said *anything at all* about a "warrenty"?

chuckcar

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:8_iln.11990$(E-Mail Removed):

> "chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> newsL9ln.95271$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I have a Dell Vostro 1500 Notebook. I recently installed Windows 7
>>> H. Prem. on it. I also put a new 500 gig Segate 5400 rpm drive in it
>>> also.
>>>
>>> I am hearing system noise when I have my earbuds plugged in. Like
>>> when the drive is spinnnig or maybe when my mouse is moving. And
>>> every so often it just stops. Even when I am moving the cursor
>>> around.
>>>
>>> I thought it may have been my drive failing. So that is why I
>>> replaced it.

>> Lucky. I have no idea how you managed to get that. It surely wasn't
>> subject to warrenty replacement under such marginal evidence.

> Who said *anything at all* about a "warrenty"?

And how would you know anyways?

Name brand computers *come* with a one year hardware warrenty. I guess
you're in the wrong group if you didn't know that.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

chuckcar wrote:

> Name brand computers *come* with a one year hardware warrenty.

No, they don't, chucktard. They come with a *warranty*!

> I guess you're in the wrong group if you didn't know that.

We'll let you stay, though. Spell checkers are not required in this
group. And besides, we need the comedic relief.

--
-bts
-my computer came with a *three* year warrenty!

> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:8_iln.11990$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> "chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> newsL9ln.95271$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Lucky. I have no idea how you managed to get that. It surely wasn't
>>> subject to warrenty replacement under such marginal evidence.

>> Who said *anything at all* about a "warrenty"?
>>

> And how would you know anyways?
>
> Name brand computers *come* with a one year hardware warrenty. I guess

Who said anything about a computer being under warrenty? The OP was talking
about a new disk drive.

> you're in the wrong group if you didn't know that.

Of course I bloody know that. I also know how to read and understand a
usenet post, except for yours that is.

Aardvark

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 04:30:55 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> warrenty

WTF??????????

--
"I can tell you how to become a millionaire in as much time as it takes
a woman to have a baby. One catch: the nine-month plan ends in a funeral."
Ice-T

chuckcar

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Q%kln.12008$(E-Mail Removed):

> "chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:8_iln.11990$(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>>> "chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> Who said *anything at all* about a "warrenty"?
>>>

>> And how would you know anyways?
>>
>> Name brand computers *come* with a one year hardware warrenty. I
>> guess

> Who said anything about a computer being under warrenty? The OP was
> talking about a new disk drive.

*replacing* the one that came with it. You don't see any connection
here?

>> you're in the wrong group if you didn't know that.

> Of course I bloody know that. I also know how to read and understand a
> usenet post, except for yours that is.

ROFL. Your last two posts to me completely disprove that even being a
possibility.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Replacement rubbers for earbuds BTMO NZ Computing 15 03-02-2012 07:54 PM
Not hearing voices isn't always a good thing FML Computer Support 4 08-08-2005 07:17 AM
Hearing The Phone Ring When Online David Computer Support 18 04-27-2004 10:20 AM
Hearing impaired?? Computer Support 0 07-09-2003 01:21 PM
Hearing impaired?? Computer Support 0 07-09-2003 01:21 PM

Advertisments