Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Win-7: Why do JPG files appear in my music MP3 folders?

Win-7: Why do JPG files appear in my music MP3 folders?

Sardine

Why do many JPG images appear in my music MP3 folders? I sure don't want
them and have never asked for them. They are images of music albums, etc.

This is either a virus or it is M$FT again telling me how my Win 7/64
should operate. Maybe it is both.

I'd love to know why this happens, and how to turn of off, for good. I'm
guessing it happens if I use a M$ft music player. I try to never do that.

Thanks in advance,

Sardine

Charlie Russel - MVP

When you configured your music player, you configured it to download album
art. The album art is stored in jpg format.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Sardine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hn20pe$eid$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why do many JPG images appear in my music MP3 folders? I sure don't want
> them and have never asked for them. They are images of music albums, etc.
>
> This is either a virus or it is M$FT again telling me how my Win 7/64
> should operate. Maybe it is both.
>
> I'd love to know why this happens, and how to turn of off, for good. I'm
> guessing it happens if I use a M$ft music player. I try to never do that.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sardine

Sardine

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> When you configured your music player, you configured it to download
> album art. The album art is stored in jpg format.

Thanks Charlie.

I don't recall configuring wmp at all, I don't even recall installing
it. I guess that is what you get when you install Win-7.

I'll try to figure out how to disable it, or maybe just dump it. There
are other music players that are more friendly.

Sardine

Dominic Payer

The first time you launched WMP you were presented with a configuration
choice: Express or Custom.

Most choose Express because they either want to start using WMP quickly
or just do not know what configuration options would best suit them and
assume the quick option is the best choice.

On 08/03/2010 18:50, Sardine wrote:
> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>> When you configured your music player, you configured it to download
>> album art. The album art is stored in jpg format.
>>

> Thanks Charlie.
>
> I don't recall configuring wmp at all, I don't even recall installing
> it. I guess that is what you get when you install Win-7.
>
> I'll try to figure out how to disable it, or maybe just dump it. There
> are other music players that are more friendly.
>
> Sardine

Sardine

Dominic Payer wrote:
> The first time you launched WMP you were presented with a configuration
> choice: Express or Custom.
>
> Most choose Express because they either want to start using WMP quickly
> or just do not know what configuration options would best suit them and
> assume the quick option is the best choice.
>

> On 08/03/2010 18:50, Sardine wrote:
>> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>>> When you configured your music player, you configured it to download
>>> album art. The album art is stored in jpg format.
>>>

>> Thanks Charlie.
>>
>> I don't recall configuring wmp at all, I don't even recall installing
>> it. I guess that is what you get when you install Win-7.
>>
>> I'll try to figure out how to disable it, or maybe just dump it. There
>> are other music players that are more friendly.
>>
>> Sardine

Dominic:

I have found the options in WMP and unchecked almost everything
including "download internet info" or whatever it is called.

The first time I start a MP3 song I get a pile of JPG images.

Can you explain how I can turn this off?

Thanks,

Sardine

Donahoo

Sardine wrote:
> Why do many JPG images appear in my music MP3 folders? I sure don't want
> them and have never asked for them. They are images of music albums, etc.
>
> This is either a virus or it is M$FT again telling me how my Win 7/64
> should operate. Maybe it is both.
>
> I'd love to know why this happens, and how to turn of off, for good. I'm
> guessing it happens if I use a M$ft music player. I try to never do that.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sardine

I'm curious; can you see the actual .jpg files in the folder? Or are you
just seeing them as the thumbnail image for the audio file? The reason
I'm asking is that I can't see the image files and they don't appear in
the total files contained in the folder - only the number of music
files. I have to go to an XP computer on my network to be able to see
the image files separately from the audio files that they are associated
with. This is with WMP 12 installed on Windows 7, but my default music
player is Winamp.

Sardine

Donahoo wrote:

> Sardine wrote:
>> Why do many JPG images appear in my music MP3 folders? I sure don't
>> want them and have never asked for them. They are images of music
>> albums, etc.
>>
>> This is either a virus or it is M$FT again telling me how my Win 7/64
>> should operate. Maybe it is both.
>>
>> I'd love to know why this happens, and how to turn of off, for good.
>> I'm guessing it happens if I use a M$ft music player. I try to never
>> do that.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Sardine

> I'm curious; can you see the actual .jpg files in the folder? Or are you
> just seeing them as the thumbnail image for the audio file? The reason
> I'm asking is that I can't see the image files and they don't appear in
> the total files contained in the folder - only the number of music
> files. I have to go to an XP computer on my network to be able to see
> the image files separately from the audio files that they are associated
> with. This is with WMP 12 installed on Windows 7, but my default music
> player is Winamp.

Donahoo:

I operate with Win 7/64 pro.

If I use Windows Explorer (details setting) to open a folder containing
MP3 files, I'll see only MP3 files listed. If I then play any MP3 file
in that folder with Win Music Player, I will then see quite a few JPG
files also in the same folder. It happens fast. They are easy to delete
but even easier to get them back again.

I also have a few other MP3 players, none of them cause me the JPG issue.

In WMP I unchecked about everything including the "download internet
info" box. No change.

The way M$ forces features on me makes me feel like a hog being fattened
up for a banquet.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sardine

Donahoo

Sardine wrote:
> Donahoo wrote:
>>
>> Sardine wrote:
>>> Why do many JPG images appear in my music MP3 folders? I sure don't
>>> want them and have never asked for them. They are images of music
>>> albums, etc.
>>>
>>> This is either a virus or it is M$FT again telling me how my Win 7/64
>>> should operate. Maybe it is both.
>>>
>>> I'd love to know why this happens, and how to turn of off, for good.
>>> I'm guessing it happens if I use a M$ft music player. I try to never
>>> do that.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Sardine

>> I'm curious; can you see the actual .jpg files in the folder? Or are
>> you just seeing them as the thumbnail image for the audio file? The
>> reason I'm asking is that I can't see the image files and they don't
>> appear in the total files contained in the folder - only the number of
>> music files. I have to go to an XP computer on my network to be able
>> to see the image files separately from the audio files that they are
>> associated with. This is with WMP 12 installed on Windows 7, but my
>> default music player is Winamp.

> Donahoo:
>
> I operate with Win 7/64 pro.
>
> If I use Windows Explorer (details setting) to open a folder containing
> MP3 files, I'll see only MP3 files listed. If I then play any MP3 file
> in that folder with Win Music Player, I will then see quite a few JPG
> files also in the same folder. It happens fast. They are easy to delete
> but even easier to get them back again.
>
> I also have a few other MP3 players, none of them cause me the JPG issue.
>
> In WMP I unchecked about everything including the "download internet
> info" box. No change.
>
> The way M$ forces features on me makes me feel like a hog being fattened
> up for a banquet.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Sardine

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for getting rid of them. You play the
music files in WMP and see the images while they are playing? That
never occurred to me. I had one music file that WMP had associated with
the wrong album and the only way I could correct that was to delete the
incorrect image files (album covers) from the folder by using a Windows
XP computer on my network. Then I used itunes to add the correct album
art to the song. I really would like to see these image files all the time.

Sardine

Sardine wrote:
> Why do many JPG images appear in my music MP3 folders? I sure don't want
> them and have never asked for them. They are images of music albums, etc.
>
> This is either a virus or it is M$FT again telling me how my Win 7/64
> should operate. Maybe it is both.
>
> I'd love to know why this happens, and how to turn of off, for good. I'm
> guessing it happens if I use a M$ft music player. I try to never do that.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sardine

I've just found freeware "Foobar2000" MP3 player, a very decent MP3
player. It isn't fancy, it is just exactly what I am looking for. It is
easy to select files into and to play them as I want. It also doesn't go
JPG shopping for me.

Many people seem to want bells and whistles, I'm happy with the "less is
best" plan.

Sardine

John Barnes

Look for the same options in any player you are using. They almost all have
the same options. Since most users prefer to see album art rather than some
generic symbol, downloading album info and art are the usual default.

news:hn4d2j$ef$(E-Mail Removed)...