Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > No" connection charge" calls...

Reply
Thread Tools

No" connection charge" calls...

 
 
tony sayer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2010

Wonder if the assorted contents heron could help with this one?.

A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
outside

This works very well and is considered most useful by the customers but
its just intended to let them know its there by a simple "Two ring" then
terminate but a lot of customers manage to lift the handset and hence
incur a connection charge which over a month or so is running up quite a
large "call" bill.

Anyone know of a Third party provider that either has a no connection
fee or a lower cost than BT one. VoIP will do for this application if
need be they have a good broadband connection but no cable modem or VM
system available.

Cheers...
--
Tony Sayer



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gordon Henderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2010
In article <7xEtCuB7f$(E-Mail Removed)>,
tony sayer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>Wonder if the assorted contents heron could help with this one?.
>
>A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
>the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
>hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
>outside
>
>This works very well and is considered most useful by the customers but
>its just intended to let them know its there by a simple "Two ring" then
>terminate but a lot of customers manage to lift the handset and hence
>incur a connection charge which over a month or so is running up quite a
>large "call" bill.
>
>Anyone know of a Third party provider that either has a no connection
>fee or a lower cost than BT one. VoIP will do for this application if
>need be they have a good broadband connection but no cable modem or VM
>system available.


I'm guessing there's a data-link from the GPS in the taxi back to base
and it's equipment at base which does the call...

Can't you simply get one of the BT call packages with bundled local
calls, etc?

Or might it not be cheaper to make the call via a mobile?

There are plenty of cheap/almost free VoIP operators though -
e.g. Sipgate... Whether they'd like those sorts of calling patterns is
anyones guess, however...

Or why not just charge the punters an extra 10p for the service... Give
us 10p or we sit outside beeping the horn

Gordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
alexd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2010
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 19:01:15 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

> Wonder if the assorted contents heron could help with this one?


Well don't we all? It's such a rare species of heron that it doesn't even
have an entry on Wikipedia.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ((E-Mail Removed))
20:04:55 up 20 days, 56 min, 4 users, load average: 0.02, 0.02, 0.00
It is better to have been wasted and then sober
than to never have been wasted at all
 
Reply With Quote
 
tony sayer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2010
In article <hn109e$m5q$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon Henderson
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>In article <7xEtCuB7f$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>tony sayer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>Wonder if the assorted contents heron could help with this one?.
>>
>>A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
>>the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
>>hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
>>outside
>>
>>This works very well and is considered most useful by the customers but
>>its just intended to let them know its there by a simple "Two ring" then
>>terminate but a lot of customers manage to lift the handset and hence
>>incur a connection charge which over a month or so is running up quite a
>>large "call" bill.
>>
>>Anyone know of a Third party provider that either has a no connection
>>fee or a lower cost than BT one. VoIP will do for this application if
>>need be they have a good broadband connection but no cable modem or VM
>>system available.

>
>I'm guessing there's a data-link from the GPS in the taxi back to base
>and it's equipment at base which does the call...


Yes..

>
>Can't you simply get one of the BT call packages with bundled local
>calls, etc?


Might look at that then..
>
>Or might it not be cheaper to make the call via a mobile?


No not really..
>
>There are plenty of cheap/almost free VoIP operators though -
>e.g. Sipgate... Whether they'd like those sorts of calling patterns is
>anyones guess, however...
>
>Or why not just charge the punters an extra 10p for the service... Give
>us 10p or we sit outside beeping the horn


Umm .. that might be a bit impractical with some of them;!..
>
>Gordon


--
Tony Sayer



 
Reply With Quote
 
Graham.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2010


"R. Mark Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:7xEtCuB7f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Wonder if the assorted contents heron could help with this one?.
>>
>> A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
>> the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
>> hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
>> outside
>>
>> This works very well and is considered most useful by the customers but
>> its just intended to let them know its there by a simple "Two ring" then
>> terminate but a lot of customers manage to lift the handset and hence
>> incur a connection charge which over a month or so is running up quite a
>> large "call" bill.
>>
>> Anyone know of a Third party provider that either has a no connection
>> fee or a lower cost than BT one. VoIP will do for this application if
>> need be they have a good broadband connection but no cable modem or VM
>> system available.
>>
>> Cheers...
>> --
>> Tony Sayer
>>
>>
>>

>
> Voipfone - no connection fee, lowish cost to mobiles - couple of pence max if the punter picks up and you can make it appear to be
> your base number, so if the customer has your number in their phone it say 01234 567890"Sayers Cars" or whatever.


Likewise any of the Betamax clones, smartvoip, smslisto et all.
At most a penny or so if the call is answered
Wouldn't it be nice if you could get a softphone integrated with their taxi
business system.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%


 
Reply With Quote
 
David Woolley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2010
tony sayer wrote:
>
> A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
> the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
> hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
> outside


It seems to me that this violates fair usage principles, Don't be
surprised if they get their phone accounts cancelled!

 
Reply With Quote
 
Graham.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2010


"David Woolley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:hn16sl$a7r$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> tony sayer wrote:
>>
>> A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
>> the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
>> hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
>> outside

>
> It seems to me that this violates fair usage principles, Don't be surprised if they get their phone accounts cancelled!


Perhaps it does in spirit
In my family there has always been a culture of "Give me 3 rings when you
arrive safely" etc.
I have never seen a clause in the T&C of a telecom service that specifically
forbids sending a message by making a phone ring.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%


 
Reply With Quote
 
Stickems.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2010
Instead of 2 rings make it one ring. That should solve the problem.


"tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7xEtCuB7f$(E-Mail Removed)...
|
| Wonder if the assorted contents heron could help with this one?.
|
| A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
| the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
| hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
| outside
|
| This works very well and is considered most useful by the customers but
| its just intended to let them know its there by a simple "Two ring" then
| terminate but a lot of customers manage to lift the handset and hence
| incur a connection charge which over a month or so is running up quite a
| large "call" bill.
|
| Anyone know of a Third party provider that either has a no connection
| fee or a lower cost than BT one. VoIP will do for this application if
| need be they have a good broadband connection but no cable modem or VM
| system available.
|
| Cheers...
| --
| Tony Sayer
|
|
|


 
Reply With Quote
 
Malcolm Loades
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2010
In message <7xEtCuB7f$(E-Mail Removed)>, tony sayer
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>
>Wonder if the assorted contents heron could help with this one?.
>
>A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
>the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
>hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
>outside
>
>This works very well and is considered most useful by the customers


Useful? More like bloody laziness by the drivers. A local taxi company
tried that one on me once ..... now I only use an alternative company
where the driver is polite enough to ring my door bell.

Malcolm
--
My Reply To: address is valid!
If you have doubts visit http://www.spam-trap.org.uk for an explanation.

 
Reply With Quote
 
J Martin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2010
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:49:15 +0000, Malcolm Loades
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In message <7xEtCuB7f$(E-Mail Removed)>, tony sayer
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>
>>Wonder if the assorted contents heron could help with this one?.
>>
>>A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
>>the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
>>hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
>>outside
>>
>>This works very well and is considered most useful by the customers

>
>Useful? More like bloody laziness by the drivers. A local taxi company
>tried that one on me once ..... now I only use an alternative company
>where the driver is polite enough to ring my door bell.
>
>Malcolm

Well said Malcolm if the driver is lazy and can't be bothered to get
out of his car then they cannot have business either same goes for
they who sit outside waiting with the engine running at 1 and 2 am for
passengers to get into the cab or sitting there blasting the horn
until passengers come out of the house.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No "Wireless Network Connection" available in network connection =?Utf-8?B?am9raW5kYTE=?= Wireless Networking 7 10-16-2012 07:32 AM
Internet connection but no workgroup connection =?Utf-8?B?am9uX2p3Yg==?= Wireless Networking 2 11-28-2005 09:46 PM
ICS works with wired connection, fails with wireless connection Rich Wireless Networking 0 11-16-2005 06:48 PM
Wireless Connection drops / PS2 connection Steve Wireless Networking 1 07-27-2005 01:27 PM
Not seeing Wireless Connection in Network Connection =?Utf-8?B?bW90b21hbm1hdHQ=?= Wireless Networking 4 03-05-2005 04:39 AM



Advertisments