Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Netbios and bindiings

Netbios and bindiings

Andy Medina

"Andy Medina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:us%(E-Mail Removed)...

> You will be blocking the ports at the router's firewall not on the
> machine's firewall. If an app uses those ports through the *router* (IOW
> [LAN ethernet port <=> WAN ethernet port] and NOT through the built-in
> *switch* which is [LAN ethernet port <=> LAN ethernet port]) that would
> be bad and is exactly what you are trying to prevent. The machines on the
> LAN will still see and use those ports. Think of the router as having two
> items (a switch and router, a wireless router adds a radio/hub to the mix)
> that are in one box. The router's firewall primarily affects traffic going
> through the *router* (that is between a LAN ethernet port to the WAN
> ethernet port) and usually does not affect traffic going through the
> *switch* (that is between a LAN ethernet port to another LAN ethernet
> port).

After reading the above and my use of "port", it even confuses me. By
"LAN ethernet port" or "WAN ethernet port" I mean the physical connector on
the router. It is not a reference to the TCP or UDP numbered port. On the
other hand just plain "ports" does refer to the TCP or UDP numbered port.

RB

>"Andy Medina" wrote
> NetBIOS is not "bound" to anything. It is simply enabled over TCP/IP.
> That is why you do not see it listed under the bindings dialog box. See below.
> From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbeui (which actually redirects to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbios)
> "As strictly an API, NetBIOS is not a networking protocol." So you will not see it listed there.

Oh ok, some of the bindngs screens I saw were confusing since it showed the
following (this may have been for NT-4)
- Netbios Interface
+ Wins Client Tcp/Ip
+ NetBeui Protocol

But I think I understand what you are saying. It appears I might have been correct
when I thought that if I installed Netbeui then I would see the Netbios listing in the
bindings window.

RB

>"Andy Medina" wrote
> Getting computers to see each other on the LAN can be a headache. Usually the problem with not being able to see computers in My
> Network Places is because of Master Browser problems, NetBIOS over TCP disabled, or no firewall exception for File and Printer
> sharing.

Yes I have already checked all of those, The Master Browser was loaded on
both machines, Netbios was Enabled over TCP on both machines and the
exception for File and Print sharing was checked and and under
Tools->FolderOptions->View-> the Simple file and print sharing is unchecked.

> 1) be sure you (re)share the items after you switch from simple file sharing. Even if you had/have them shared while under simple
> file sharing, go through and share them again. You have to have at least one item shared for the computer to show up.

Well I think I already did this, but just to make sure I will try that.

> 2) make sure File and Printer sharing is checked as an exception in the firewall of EVERY computer on the LAN.

Yes did this

> Look in the event logs (can't remember which category, apps or system) and if you see any "could not obtain master browse list
> from [computer name]"

The only event Browser msg I get is this one: (one msg during each attempted session)
Event ID 8033, The browser has forced an election on network
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{72F9CC0C-509F-45A0-85A7-1FE1CC4F6328}
because a master browser was stopped.

> 3) make sure the Computer Browser service is running on ALL computers.

In the ComponentServices->ServicesLocal shows that it was started (as well
as Netbios

> You might also try the SMB method (for troubleshooting) if the computer is not showing up. First make sure you can ping the
> computer in question.

I don't know what SMB is but I can ping everything with no problem.

> go to Start/Run and enter "\\[IP address of computer in question]" (without the quotes) and see if the network login screen comes
> up.

Well this is the crazy part, everything works flawlessly going from desktop to laptop.
but on the first attempt going from laptop to desktop I do get the pswd logon
screen but the OK is grayed out and it will not do anything once I type the pswd
in. Then after this first attempt things start to break down with inconsistent results.
But mainly I keep getting the Access denied msg when I click on the shared location
in My network places (before I even get the sign pswd window)

You don't really have to try and help me with this unless you just want to since I
believe troubleshooting this might be off topic for this group, plus I believe my Lan
might be cursed (or foobarred ) since I have tried so many things with no results.
I'm not sure what I will do now, maybe delete my passwords and go back to
Simple file & print sharing which worked great albeit unsecure.
?? What kind of security does Windows Home Server offer ??

Andy Medina

"RB" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> You don't really have to try and help me with this unless you just want to
> since I
> believe troubleshooting this might be off topic for this group, plus I
> believe my Lan
> might be cursed (or foobarred ) since I have tried so many things with no
> results.
> I'm not sure what I will do now, maybe delete my passwords and go back to
> Simple file & print sharing which worked great albeit unsecure.

In that case you might want to try out NetBEUI. It can't hurt anything [if
done right ]. From the http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html website
mentioned previously: "In many cases TCP/IP is working well with the
Internet but it is not functioning for Local File/Printer Sharing. NetBEUI
might "Bail" out and will allow Easy Local File/Printer Sharing."

> ?? What kind of security does Windows Home Server offer ??

Sorry, can't help with that since I am not familiar with Windows Home
Server.

RB

Thanks for the link and all the other information, I have learned quite a bit.
Later....RB

Andy Medina

"RB" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm not sure what I will do now, maybe delete my passwords and go back to
> Simple file & print sharing which worked great albeit unsecure.

BTW the user account passwords do NOT have to be deleted if you go back to
Simple File and Print Sharing (SF&P). SF&P uses the Guest account *only* to
access shared resources. No other account can be used for network/remote
logins.

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

"Behavior that is affected when Simple File Sharing is turned on

* Remote users always authenticate as the Guest account."

RB

In retrospec I would like you brief input on the following.

1. If I implement Simple file and Print Sharing, but only go in and check it enabled
on both machines when needed, this will offer a type of security in it's own, correct ?
( I am assuming I can do this without the trouble of a reboot)

2. In addition to this, if I implement logon passwords, what other protection does this offer
besides keeping physical users from accessing my computer (other than one who has pswd )

> BTW the user account passwords do NOT have to be deleted if you go back to Simple File and Print Sharing (SF&P). SF&P uses the
> Guest account *only* to
> access shared resources. No other account can be used for network/remote logins. From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

Thanks for the confirmation. I really took off my passwords in attempt to
get even simple file sharing working again. But alas it did not help. I read the KB
but I have the Everyone (and all the other default) group on both machines.
Something is really screwed since I tried to incorporate passwords. I have
all my data files on a separate partition (on both machines) so I may just have
to reinstall the OS and all my apps to the C: drive and start over. A good days
work between the two of them but I am reaching the end of my rope with this.

VPN and netbios name mmccaws Cisco 2 03-25-2005 04:32 AM
Cisco 3640, Netbios and bridges Brian Andrus Cisco 3 05-04-2004 07:15 AM
Netbios over IP slowness with 3600 Ciscos, IMAs and ATM The Prisoner Cisco 2 02-03-2004 03:00 PM
HELP! Windows and Netbios between 2 subnets - over a Cisco 2501 Simon Collins Cisco 1 11-09-2003 06:31 PM
trouble resolving NetBios Names Cisco VPN client and Linksys router aldousd666 Cisco 0 07-11-2003 07:24 PM

Advertisments