Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Netbios and bindiings

Netbios and bindiings

Lem

RB wrote:

<snip>
> Where is this mysterious screen found for bindings, does it install with netbeui ?
> I cannot find it on my xp machine.
> http://www.ezlan.net/network/XP_Net_advance.jpg

Network Connections > Advanced > Advanced Settings. You can also
install/remove "Network Components" from the same menu, without going
through Control Panel > Add/Remove, etc.

(P.S.: Sometimes, Help & Support does in fact provide help.)

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

David H. Lipman

From: "RB" <NoMail@NoSpam>

| "Jack [MVP-Networking]"
>> If you are worried that is a good idea.
>> Adding NetBEUI as Sharing Protocol in WinXP: http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

| So then you are saying that NetBeui is a good thing then ?
| I have the following questions if you would be so kind as to reply to them.
| What is SMB ? Is this any better than NWLink IPX/SPX ?
| See I need to see some shared folders on the Desktop

| Where is this mysterious screen found for bindings, does it install with netbeui ?
| I cannot find it on my xp machine.
| http://www.ezlan.net/network/XP_Net_advance.jpg

Don't use IPX/SPX unless you have software that needs IPX/SPX.

If you add NetBEUI you will have to unbind NetBIOS from IP otherwsie you gain nothing and
you don't want to remove TCP/IP or you won't access the Internet.

If you follow my initial set of instructions, you don't have to add NetBEUI and fuss with
unbind NetBIOS from IP.

--
Dave

Andy Medina

I agree with David, don't use NetBEUI. It is a *VERY* talkative/noisy
protocol and there is really no need for it. NetBIOS/TCP will do just fine
for the LAN sharing. IPX/SPX is more (but not exclusively) for Novell
networks. I definitively wouldn't use that protocol unless an app (or game)
needs it. As for SMB, it basically replaces NetBIOS/TCP for Printer and File
sharing starting with the Windows 2000 version and it runs on top (or over)
TCP (SMB/TCP). More at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> From: "RB" <NoMail@NoSpam>
>

> | "Jack [MVP-Networking]"
>>> If you are worried that is a good idea.
>>> Adding NetBEUI as Sharing Protocol in WinXP:
>>> http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html
>>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

> | So then you are saying that NetBeui is a good thing then ?
> | I have the following questions if you would be so kind as to reply to
> them.
> | What is SMB ? Is this any better than NWLink IPX/SPX ?
> | See I need to see some shared folders on the Desktop
>
> | Where is this mysterious screen found for bindings, does it install with
> netbeui ?
> | I cannot find it on my xp machine.
> | http://www.ezlan.net/network/XP_Net_advance.jpg
>

> Don't use IPX/SPX unless you have software that needs IPX/SPX.
>
> If you add NetBEUI you will have to unbind NetBIOS from IP otherwsie you
> gain nothing and
> you don't want to remove TCP/IP or you won't access the Internet.
>
> If you follow my initial set of instructions, you don't have to add
> NetBEUI and fuss with
> unbind NetBIOS from IP.
>
> --
> Dave
> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

David H. Lipman

From: "Andy Medina" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| I agree with David, don't use NetBEUI. It is a *VERY* talkative/noisy
| protocol and there is really no need for it. NetBIOS/TCP will do just fine
| for the LAN sharing. IPX/SPX is more (but not exclusively) for Novell
| networks. I definitively wouldn't use that protocol unless an app (or game)
| needs it. As for SMB, it basically replaces NetBIOS/TCP for Printer and File
| sharing starting with the Windows 2000 version and it runs on top (or over)
| TCP (SMB/TCP). More at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

I once had to setup a SOHO LAN using IPX/SPX for a multi-user network game. However I
can't remember that Game's name and a few years have gone by.

IPX/SPX was great for games because it is a faster, more tunable, network protocol than
TCP/IP.

Pegasus Mail (P-Mail) was Netware aware and it communcates natively via IPX/SPX to work
with Netware as a multi-user office email application.

Not too much call for IPX/SPX these days.

--
Dave

David H. Lipman

From: "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>

< snip >

| Pegasus Mail (P-Mail) was Netware aware and it communcates natively via IPX/SPX to work
| with Netware as a multi-user office email application.

< snip >

I should add that Pegasus Mail just enjoyed 20 the anniversary.
I never stopped using it.

--
Dave

Andy Medina

For question 1: Open the Network Connections Control Panel applet (Control
Panel - Network Connections) and under the Advanced menu item is Advanced
Settings. That will open the window you are looking for.

"RB" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Running XP Pro sp3
> Peer to Peer (no server software) Lan with password logon enabled,
> Client for MS Networks and File & Print Sharing, all nodes are in the
> same named Workgroup, running a NAT firewall enabled Linksys router
> out connected to cable modem and all nodes connected into router either
> by hard wire ethernet or wireless (wireless running TKIP encryption (WPA))
>
> I have two questions: (subject may be because of dated material I'm
> reading)
> 1. One some of the text I'm reading shows screens of Network Bindings to
> all services
> But in my properties of network connections I cannot find any such
> screen,
> the nearest I can come to it is the Enable or Disable Netbios over
> TCP/IP, but
> this does not give binging or unbinding for any of the services running
> ?
> Where can I get to this ?
> 2. I've read that Netbios is a security issue over TCP since it could
> allow inside
> Lan stuff to outside. Has Netbios been upgraded to alleviate this or is
> installing
> Netbeui a more secure solution since I need local Lan sharing of some
> folders.

RB

> Network Connections > Advanced > Advanced Settings. You can also install/remove "Network Components" from the same menu, without
> going through Control Panel > Add/Remove, etc.

Well evidently you have that screen on yours, but my XP pro sp3 does not.
I have seen the screen in the past (I believe on XP home) but mine now
only has 3 Netbios add scenarios. I was wondering if after I installed Netbuei
the bindings window would then be visable ?

Andy Medina

Which of the following is true?

a) there is no "Advance" menu item in the Network Connections window.
b) there is no "Advanced Settings" item under the Advance menu item.
c) there is no "Adapter and Bindings" tab in the Advance Settings window.
d) there is a "Adapter and Bindings" tab but nothing is listed.

Is there a "Provider Order" tab in the Advance Settings window?

"RB" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Network Connections > Advanced > Advanced Settings. You can also
>> install/remove "Network Components" from the same menu, without going
>> through Control Panel > Add/Remove, etc.

> Well evidently you have that screen on yours, but my XP pro sp3 does not.
> I have seen the screen in the past (I believe on XP home) but mine now
> only has 3 Netbios add scenarios. I was wondering if after I installed
> Netbuei
> the bindings window would then be visable ?

RB

"Andy Medina"
> Which of the following is true?
> a) there is no "Advance" menu item in the Network Connections window.
> b) there is no "Advanced Settings" item under the Advance menu item.
> c) there is no "Adapter and Bindings" tab in the Advance Settings window.
> d) there is a "Adapter and Bindings" tab but nothing is listed.
> Is there a "Provider Order" tab in the Advance Settings window?

I don't know if I am allowed to post jpg attachments which I could do if I knew
it was acceptable to do so. But there could be quite a few of them to expound
everything. But as brief as possible this is the explained scenario:
ControlPanel->NetworkConnections then right click on desired
connection and choose properties, brings up a screen showing
two tabs General and Advanced. I will tell you about the
General tab first since I believe it expands to the area of
question, (I will skip this particular Advanced tab till later)
If you look at the General tab window you see in the first list
box window my Network Adapter listing with a Configure button
beside it. If you click the Configure button it basically covers
driver installation or uninstalling etc.
So back out of Configure back to the same said General Tab then
if you look down the second list box window it has all of your
protocols and file & print sharing services that are installed.
If you highlite the tcp/ip protocol and click properties then you
see a window with a General tab and a Alternate Config tab,
Down at the bottom (of the General tab window) there is an
Advanced button, if you click that you see an area that I believe
is pertinant to this discussion. It has 4 tabs, IP Settings,
DNS, WINS, and Options. If you click the WINS tab you see a window
with a top list box where you can add WINS addresses, Below that
you can check ENABLE LMHOSTs options. And below that is 3 options,
1. Default use Netbios from DHCP server
2. Enable Netbios over tcp/ip
3. Disable Netbios over tcp/ip
There are no bindings window to be found in "ANY" of the expanded
windows stemming from the original NetworkConnections properties
General tab.
So then if you look at the original NetworkConnections properties
Advanced tab (skipped over above) then you see a windows firewall
window with one Settings button. So clicking on the Settings button
you see the windows Firewall window with a General tab, an Exceptions
tab and an Advanced tab. Expanding out "all" of these none of them
bring up "any" bindings window.

Lem

RB wrote:
> "Andy Medina"
>> Which of the following is true?
>> a) there is no "Advance" menu item in the Network Connections window.
>> b) there is no "Advanced Settings" item under the Advance menu item.
>> c) there is no "Adapter and Bindings" tab in the Advance Settings window.
>> d) there is a "Adapter and Bindings" tab but nothing is listed.
>> Is there a "Provider Order" tab in the Advance Settings window?

> I don't know if I am allowed to post jpg attachments which I could do if I knew
> it was acceptable to do so. But there could be quite a few of them to expound
> everything. But as brief as possible this is the explained scenario:
> ControlPanel->NetworkConnections then right click on desired
> connection and choose properties, brings up a screen showing
> two tabs General and Advanced. I will tell you about the
> General tab first since I believe it expands to the area of
> question, (I will skip this particular Advanced tab till later)
> If you look at the General tab window you see in the first list
> box window my Network Adapter listing with a Configure button
> beside it. If you click the Configure button it basically covers
> driver installation or uninstalling etc.
> So back out of Configure back to the same said General Tab then
> if you look down the second list box window it has all of your
> protocols and file & print sharing services that are installed.
> If you highlite the tcp/ip protocol and click properties then you
> see a window with a General tab and a Alternate Config tab,
> Down at the bottom (of the General tab window) there is an
> Advanced button, if you click that you see an area that I believe
> is pertinant to this discussion. It has 4 tabs, IP Settings,
> DNS, WINS, and Options. If you click the WINS tab you see a window
> with a top list box where you can add WINS addresses, Below that
> you can check ENABLE LMHOSTs options. And below that is 3 options,
> 1. Default use Netbios from DHCP server
> 2. Enable Netbios over tcp/ip
> 3. Disable Netbios over tcp/ip
> There are no bindings window to be found in "ANY" of the expanded
> windows stemming from the original NetworkConnections properties
> General tab.
> So then if you look at the original NetworkConnections properties
> Advanced tab (skipped over above) then you see a windows firewall
> window with one Settings button. So clicking on the Settings button
> you see the windows Firewall window with a General tab, an Exceptions
> tab and an Advanced tab. Expanding out "all" of these none of them
> bring up "any" bindings window.

You can post pictures using one of the many web-based public picture
hosting services.

However, you are looking in the wrong place.

For reference, here is how you get to the screen in question, although
as David Lipman and Andy Medina say, you shouldn't use NetBEUI.

1. Open Network Connections
2. In the Menu bar (the one that has File, Edit, View, etc.), click
"Advanced."
3. In the drop-down menu under "Advanced," click "Advanced Settings."
4. The "Advanced Settings" dialog should open. It has two tabs,
"Adapters and Bindings" and "Provider Order."

VPN and netbios name mmccaws Cisco 2 03-25-2005 04:32 AM
Cisco 3640, Netbios and bridges Brian Andrus Cisco 3 05-04-2004 07:15 AM
Netbios over IP slowness with 3600 Ciscos, IMAs and ATM The Prisoner Cisco 2 02-03-2004 03:00 PM
HELP! Windows and Netbios between 2 subnets - over a Cisco 2501 Simon Collins Cisco 1 11-09-2003 06:31 PM
trouble resolving NetBios Names Cisco VPN client and Linksys router aldousd666 Cisco 0 07-11-2003 07:24 PM

Advertisments