Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > cordless mouse hiccups

cordless mouse hiccups

Ian Jackson

In message <Xns9D3F887158176chuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
writes
>Ian Jackson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> In message <Xns9D3CB40CBA268chuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> writes
>>>Ian Jackson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>>Pretty much the exact same symptoms I was getting from these mice.
>>>However they died *real* fast and about 1/3rd of the time or so the
>>>computer would say they weren't plugged in (I prefer ps/2 for both my
>>>keyboard and mouse, I dispise USB)

>>>*exactly* 27.00 Mhz or close to it? CB frequencies have a bandwidth of
>>>only about 10Khz, so unless it's between 26.095 Mhz and 27.005 Mhz it
>>>wouldn't be picked up if you follow me. Besides there are regulations
>>>about electronic shielding and interference.
>>>

>> It was exactly on one of the FCC CB channels. If it was Ch15, it would
>> be 27.135MHz. [I did write it on a sticker on the mouse, but it
>> eventually got rubbed off.]
>>

>That *should* have read ... 26.995 Mhz and 27.005 Mhz of course.

Ah, I see. "In the 27MHz CB band" and "channel 15" is not exactly 27MHz.
I've just re-checked it, and yes, it IS 27.135MHz.

The bandwidth of a CB transmission is not the important factor. It's the
bandwidth of the cordless mouse system. I doubt if it's inherently as
narrow as 10kHz. It's probably as broad a proverbial barn door.

Of course, a 2.4GHz mouse could also suffer from interference from all
the other domestic wireless links operating in that band and, of course,
from microwave ovens.
--
ian