Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Using Thunderbird on TEO Operating Systems

Using Thunderbird on TEO Operating Systems

daviddee4@nomail.com

I have a dual boot setup. Win98se on drive C: Win2000 on drive D:
I use Win98 more than win2k, and I have Mozilla Thunderbird installed
in Win98, but sometimes I go online using Win2000, because some sites
refuse my older browsers. I loaded the .exe from Thunderbird located
in the c:\program files\mozilla\thunderbird (the one installed to
Win9. It could not find the email folder and wanted me to setup
email accounts. I DO NOT want to install it twice and thus have to
download and maintain two instances of the same thing. I dont mind
having separate browsers and other software, but downloading email
twice would be a major pain. How can I use the same mailbox? Even if
I had to install thunderbird twice (but I hope not), I still want the
same mailbox. How od I do this? And where is the email located
anyhow. It does not appear to be located in any of the sub-folders
within c:\program files\mozilla\thunderbird.

Thanks

DD

Bill Blanton

On 3/6/2010 20:17, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have a dual boot setup. Win98se on drive C: Win2000 on drive D:
> I use Win98 more than win2k, and I have Mozilla Thunderbird installed
> in Win98, but sometimes I go online using Win2000, because some sites
> refuse my older browsers. I loaded the .exe from Thunderbird located
> in the c:\program files\mozilla\thunderbird (the one installed to
> Win9. It could not find the email folder and wanted me to setup
> email accounts. I DO NOT want to install it twice and thus have to
> download and maintain two instances of the same thing. I dont mind
> having separate browsers and other software, but downloading email
> twice would be a major pain. How can I use the same mailbox? Even if
> I had to install thunderbird twice (but I hope not), I still want the
> same mailbox. How od I do this? And where is the email located
> anyhow. It does not appear to be located in any of the sub-folders
> within c:\program files\mozilla\thunderbird.

Whether you use the same folder for your mail data or not, you are still
going to have to "install it twice". There's no way around that.

I don't know what version you're using, but look for the config editor
under "tools". My own local folder (TB 3.x) is listed under the
mail.server2.directory value.

I've never tried to change it, so you're on your own. You could probably
get a concrete answer in a TB newsgroup.

MEB

> I have a dual boot setup. Win98se on drive C: Win2000 on drive D:
> I use Win98 more than win2k, and I have Mozilla Thunderbird installed
> in Win98, but sometimes I go online using Win2000, because some sites
> refuse my older browsers. I loaded the .exe from Thunderbird located
> in the c:\program files\mozilla\thunderbird (the one installed to
> Win9. It could not find the email folder and wanted me to setup
> email accounts. I DO NOT want to install it twice and thus have to
> download and maintain two instances of the same thing. I dont mind
> having separate browsers and other software, but downloading email
> twice would be a major pain. How can I use the same mailbox? Even if
> I had to install thunderbird twice (but I hope not), I still want the
> same mailbox. How od I do this? And where is the email located
> anyhow. It does not appear to be located in any of the sub-folders
> within c:\program files\mozilla\thunderbird.
>
> Thanks
>
> DD

Sorry, to use Thunderbird on two different operating systems requires
you install it into both. The reason is the registry settings and
inclusions on Win9X needs to run Thunderbird are not the same as in
Win2K hives, nor are file locations.

You can, however, use the same mail storage/account folder, as long as
it is on a partition and file system which both can access. You do this
AFTER you setup the accounts on each machine and BEFORE downloading any
messages by opening the Account Settings [under Edit or by right
clicking the account] and directing the storage area to the shared
folder/directory on the mutually accessible partition/drive. It is best
to create specific sub-folders *for each account* used, and directing to
those, ex. d:\mail\Google\. This can also be done via the Account
Settings menu. DO NOT [my rec. others may feel differently] use the
default locations for either OS as the shared folder on the other or you
may end up with file sharing issues or corruption issues.
You can also do this by manually editing the userprefs.js on both OSs
to the mutually accessible folder(s).
Make sure, though, that you use the shared drive and folder location as
it appears within the respective OS or the folder will not be located.

As for where it would normally be stored, you would normally find this
in Win9X under C;\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Thunderbird\Profiles\
xxxxxxxx .default\ , W2K is C:\Documents and Settings\[User
Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx .default\

http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/edit

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm

98 Guy

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have a dual boot setup. Win98se on drive C: Win2000 on drive D:
> I use Win98 more than win2k, and I have Mozilla Thunderbird
> installed in Win98, but sometimes I go online using Win2000,
> because some sites refuse my older browsers.

Why don't you try running Firefox 2.0.0.20 on your win-98 side?

There's no websites I've ever come across that had a problem with that
browser.

MEB

On 03/07/2010 08:51 AM, 98 Guy wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I have a dual boot setup. Win98se on drive C: Win2000 on drive D:
>> I use Win98 more than win2k, and I have Mozilla Thunderbird
>> installed in Win98, but sometimes I go online using Win2000,
>> because some sites refuse my older browsers.

> Why don't you try running Firefox 2.0.0.20 on your win-98 side?
>
> There's no websites I've ever come across that had a problem with that
> browser.

Except that would put an outdated and vulnerable browser into a system
that should NOT be nor needs to be running one. Opera is still usable
and still being developed. And there are others...

Oh wait I forgot you're trying to get more Win9X users vulnerable to
add into botnets... my bad... wouldn't want to interfere with your
criminal enterprise...

--

MEB wrote:

> >> but sometimes I go online using Win2000, because some sites
> >> refuse my older browsers.

> > Why don't you try running Firefox 2.0.0.20 on your win-98 side?

> Except that would put an outdated and vulnerable browser into a
> system that should NOT be nor needs to be running one. Opera is
> still usable and still being developed. And there are others...

Then why didn't you simply recommend that the OP use Opera on their
win-98 side as a remedy or alternative to using win-2k, thereby avoiding
the problems or issues of having a dual-boot system?

MEB

On 03/08/2010 09:36 AM, 98 Guy wrote:

>>> Why don't you try running Firefox 2.0.0.20 on your win-98 side?

>> Except that would put an outdated and vulnerable browser into a
>> system that should NOT be nor needs to be running one. Opera is
>> still usable and still being developed. And there are others...

> Then why didn't you simply recommend that the OP use Opera on their
> win-98 side as a remedy or alternative to using win-2k, thereby avoiding
> the problems or issues of having a dual-boot system?

Because I want people to wake up to parties such as yourself that
recommend things like not using AV, firewalls, installing NT files into
Win9X/ME, and using vulnerable Web applications: CLAIMING you know these
are un-needed; CLAIMING you haven't found any vulnerabilities; with
recommendations to download pirated software; that torrents are safe and
like activities; and all the other techniques that are used by parties
engaged in ensuring Windows users ARE vulnerable, to the point of
constantly placing the exploits on-line so EVERYONE has the exploit to
cover-up the original creators and users' tracks, to increase the
difficulty by those who prosecute these activities. That's people like
you 98 Guy... people engaged in criminal enterprises and/or activities;
WE need your type properly identified EVERYWHERE.