Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Upgraded to IE 7

Upgraded to IE 7

Jenn

I recently upgraded from IE6 to IE7 and now if I go to View > Source Code I
get this error:

Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe'. Make sure you typed
the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the
Start button, and then click Search.

Well.. I looked in that folder and sure enough no notepad.exe if there
because notepad is located at 'C:\WINDOWS, but I have 2 copies of it there..
one is notepad.exe and the other is misspelled as notpad.exe. When I
mouseover the misspelled copy it shows the tooltip as being notepad.exe.

If I move the mispelled copy over to 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ and correct the
spelling, will that fix the problem? I don't usually mess with moving files
into the system32 folder and I'm not familiar with it enough to know if I'd
mess something up.

Notepad.exe is still on my programs > accessories list and I don't want to
mess that up either.

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jenn wrote:

> Well.. I looked in that folder and sure enough no notepad.exe if there
> because notepad is located at 'C:\WINDOWS, but I have 2 copies of it
> there.. one is notepad.exe and the other is misspelled as notpad.exe.
> When I mouseover the misspelled copy it shows the tooltip as being
> notepad.exe.

...and the Number One result for Google Search for "notpad.exe" is:

http://www.greatis.com/appdata/d/n/notpad.exe.htm

--
-bts

Dan C

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 21:19:19 -0600, Jenn wrote:

> I recently upgraded from IE6 to IE7 and now if I go to View > Source
> Code I get this error:
>
> Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe'. Make sure you
> typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file,
> click the Start button, and then click Search.
>
> Well.. I looked in that folder and sure enough no notepad.exe if there
> because notepad is located at 'C:\WINDOWS, but I have 2 copies of it
> there.. one is notepad.exe and the other is misspelled as notpad.exe.
> When I mouseover the misspelled copy it shows the tooltip as being
> notepad.exe.
>
> If I move the mispelled copy over to 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ and correct
> the spelling, will that fix the problem? I don't usually mess with
> moving files into the system32 folder and I'm not familiar with it
> enough to know if I'd mess something up.
>
> Notepad.exe is still on my programs > accessories list and I don't want
> to mess that up either.

Jesus, you're ****ing stupid.

Format your ****ing hard drive, and take up a hobby you are capable of.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he tossed the bloody glove behind Kato's house.

Aardvark

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 21:19:19 -0600, Jenn wrote:

> I recently upgraded from IE6 to IE7 and now if I go to View > Source
> Code I get this error:

Let's do the time-warp again.

You do realise that the current version of IE is v8?

--
"I can tell you how to become a millionaire in as much time as it takes
a woman to have a baby. One catch: the nine-month plan ends in a funeral."

Mike Easter

Aardvark wrote:
> Jenn wrote:
>
>> I recently upgraded from IE6 to IE7

> You do realise that the current version of IE is v8?

There are overwhelming reasons to use something other than IE6.

The business of whether it should be IE7 or IE8 is an interesting
discussion. The wikipedia has a nice section on some considerations.

IMO... If a person is principally using something other than IE, such as
Fx or Chrome, then they only use IE for the sake of compatibility with
some sites which are written so poorly that they require a specific
browser IE, then the upgrade from IE6 should be to IE7 not IE8.

IE7 is more compatible with such 'backward' sites than IE8.

If a person is using IE as their 'principle' browser instead of such as
Fx or Chrome or Opera or Iron or whatever, then they should probably go
directly to IE8 instead of IE7, because IE8 has some few modernization
advantages over IE7.

But, I think using IE as the principle browser isn't normally a very
good idea.

--
Mike Easter

Jenn

Mike Easter wrote:
> Aardvark wrote:
>> Jenn wrote:
>>
>>> I recently upgraded from IE6 to IE7

>> You do realise that the current version of IE is v8?

> There are overwhelming reasons to use something other than IE6.
>
> The business of whether it should be IE7 or IE8 is an interesting
> discussion. The wikipedia has a nice section on some considerations.
>
> IMO... If a person is principally using something other than IE, such
> as Fx or Chrome, then they only use IE for the sake of compatibility
> with some sites which are written so poorly that they require a
> specific browser IE, then the upgrade from IE6 should be to IE7 not
> IE8.
> IE7 is more compatible with such 'backward' sites than IE8.
>
> If a person is using IE as their 'principle' browser instead of such
> as Fx or Chrome or Opera or Iron or whatever, then they should
> probably go directly to IE8 instead of IE7, because IE8 has some few
> modernization advantages over IE7.
>
> But, I think using IE as the principle browser isn't normally a very
> good idea.

I'm a webmaster and as part of my job I have
to test the sites I create in multiple browsers that viewers of those
websites may be using, and IE6 was one of those browsers, plus IE7, and also
Firefox. Recently, IE6 has dropped from the "most used" list, however, IE8
is not exactly stable and is still causing many issues for people
sporadically. Additionally, our network engineers advised us not to
download IE8 until they advised us otherwise... therefore, the best choice
was to upgrade to IE7 as the main IE version for testing right now. I still
test
in Firefox, too.

I was just hoping for an answer to my question about the Notepad issue.

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

Aardvark

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 10:28:29 -0600, Jenn wrote:

> I was just hoping for an answer to my question about the Notepad issue.

You could always try what you first suggested. If it doesn't work, all you
have to do is reverse the process and try something else.

--

Aardvark wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 10:28:29 -0600, Jenn wrote:
>
>> I was just hoping for an answer to my question about the Notepad
>> issue.

> You could always try what you first suggested. If it doesn't work,
> all you have to do is reverse the process and try something else.

thanks .. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the wrong thing to do.

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Evan Platt wrote:

> "Jenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I was just hoping for an answer to my question about the Notepad
>> issue.

> Did you see the reply From: "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> ?

I guess "not yet." <g> Thanks for reminding her to look.

The only references I ever remember reading about "notpad.exe" is that
it's a malicious something-or-other.

--
-bts

Mike Yetto

Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
> IMO... If a person is principally using something other than IE, such as
> Fx or Chrome, then they only use IE for the sake of compatibility with
> some sites which are written so poorly that they require a specific
> browser IE, then the upgrade from IE6 should be to IE7 not IE8.

The proper response to such a site is to leave immediately and
slam the door hard enough to knock the asshat off the designer's
head.

Mike "then use a proper browser" Yetto
In practice they are not.