Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Disabled Person Needs Icons to work

Disabled Person Needs Icons to work

Deb

Hi,

My sister is a quadraplegic and and is running win7 64bit on a dell laptop
Inspirion 1750. Her desktop icons do not work and her shot cuts do not work.
She needs to work from the dektop because we need as few clicks as possible.
I have tried to find the solution but I have have not. Can someone help?

Bobby Johnson

Do you mean that when you click, or double click, on an icon that
nothing happens? Is she using a mouse or the touchpad?

Can you be a little more descriptive about the problem? Has this been
happening from the time you got the laptop, or installed Win 7? Or, did
it just start after something was installed or updated?

On 2010-03-05 15:11, Deb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My sister is a quadraplegic and and is running win7 64bit on a dell
> laptop Inspirion 1750. Her desktop icons do not work and her shot cuts
> do not work. She needs to work from the dektop because we need as few
> clicks as possible. I have tried to find the solution but I have have
> not. Can someone help?

GS

has accessibility enabled ?
single click enabled in explorer- tools- option, general tab?

Deb

Thank you for your help! Yes this has pretty much happended off and on since
she had the laptop. She is using a mouse. She using a "dot" on her forhead
which is read by a tracker type webcam looking device. She has an onscreen
keyboard (softtype 4.2 by Origin www.orin.com) with commands on it and she
hoovers to click if that make since. But it happens when I use a mouse as
well. They just do not work on a regulalr basis. She is using windows 7.

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you mean that when you click, or double click, on an icon that nothing
> happens? Is she using a mouse or the touchpad?
>
> Can you be a little more descriptive about the problem? Has this been
> happening from the time you got the laptop, or installed Win 7? Or, did
> it just start after something was installed or updated?
>

> On 2010-03-05 15:11, Deb wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My sister is a quadraplegic and and is running win7 64bit on a dell
>> laptop Inspirion 1750. Her desktop icons do not work and her shot cuts
>> do not work. She needs to work from the dektop because we need as few
>> clicks as possible. I have tried to find the solution but I have have
>> not. Can someone help?

Bobby Johnson

This sounds like it's the SoftType software that's at fault and not
Windows 7. The Orin website does not provide much information about
compatibility, so it's not clear if this software is in fact compatible
with Windows 7.

You need to contact Orin and ask them about this.

On 2010-03-17 20:19, Deb wrote:
> Thank you for your help! Yes this has pretty much happended off and on
> since she had the laptop. She is using a mouse. She using a "dot" on her
> forhead which is read by a tracker type webcam looking device. She has
> an onscreen keyboard (softtype 4.2 by Origin www.orin.com) with commands
> on it and she hoovers to click if that make since. But it happens when I
> use a mouse as well. They just do not work on a regulalr basis. She is
> using windows 7.
>
> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Do you mean that when you click, or double click, on an icon that
>> nothing happens? Is she using a mouse or the touchpad?
>>
>> Can you be a little more descriptive about the problem? Has this been
>> happening from the time you got the laptop, or installed Win 7? Or,
>> did it just start after something was installed or updated?
>>

>> On 2010-03-05 15:11, Deb wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My sister is a quadraplegic and and is running win7 64bit on a dell
>>> laptop Inspirion 1750. Her desktop icons do not work and her shot cuts
>>> do not work. She needs to work from the dektop because we need as few
>>> clicks as possible. I have tried to find the solution but I have have
>>> not. Can someone help?

Bobby Johnson

P.S.

The problem most likely that it is not Windows 7 64-bit compatible. I
finally located some documentation and it states:

SofType for TouchScreens is an excellent tool
for any touchscreen application. It operates
under Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP.

It does not state it is compatible with Windows 7 either 32-bit or
64-bit. You need to contact the Orin comapny for assistance.

On 2010-03-18 06:41, Bobby Johnson wrote:
> This sounds like it's the SoftType software that's at fault and not
> Windows 7. The Orin website does not provide much information about
> compatibility, so it's not clear if this software is in fact compatible
> with Windows 7.
>
> You need to contact Orin and ask them about this.
>

> On 2010-03-17 20:19, Deb wrote:
>> Thank you for your help! Yes this has pretty much happended off and on
>> since she had the laptop. She is using a mouse. She using a "dot" on her
>> forhead which is read by a tracker type webcam looking device. She has
>> an onscreen keyboard (softtype 4.2 by Origin www.orin.com) with commands
>> on it and she hoovers to click if that make since. But it happens when I
>> use a mouse as well. They just do not work on a regulalr basis. She is
>> using windows 7.
>>
>> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Do you mean that when you click, or double click, on an icon that
>>> nothing happens? Is she using a mouse or the touchpad?
>>>
>>> Can you be a little more descriptive about the problem? Has this been
>>> happening from the time you got the laptop, or installed Win 7? Or,
>>> did it just start after something was installed or updated?

Deb

Oh yes I will contact them ab out softype.......but I ran into another
problem. She clicked on an adobe file and all the icons on the desktop
changed to and adobe file and now nother works. I have been doing a search
and I am just not sure of the best fix. Does micorsoft have one?