Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: ADSL Modems... whats best ?

Re: ADSL Modems... whats best ?

Richard

whoisthis wrote:
> I currently have a Netgear DG834 v 3, and to be honest it has proven to
> be extremely reliable.
>
> I am moving house and will have ADSL2+ in a few months time so I am
> considering a modem upgrade.
>
> A newer DG834 is probably a good option however options for more
> flexibility may be worth looking at such as being able to bandwidth
> limit certain machines on the home network , or deny access during other
> times.
>
> Need VPN pass though, and if we have DDNS services all the better.

The netgear DG 834G and the non wireless 1 port counterpart are the only
2 routers I have never had to powercycle to get a connection back up.

However, the lack of an adsl mode selector without going into debug mode
and issuing some CLI command that is non persistant means they are
pretty bad since on occasion tehy will sync at adsl 1 or worse, adsl2re
speeds.