Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Hi Rush

Re: Hi Rush

richard

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 22:06:17 -0600, philo wrote:

> not that I agree with anything he says
>
> but I do admit to listening to him from time to time
>
> Turns out Rush Limbaugh reads this group
> and for all I know posts here using a pseudonym
>

> Yesterday on his program
> he quoted one of the statements I made here
>

> of course he didn't mention on his program
> that he read it here
>
> So...
>
> I guess that explains things
>

> (maybe)

I know certain people in the information business read newsgroups.
I've posted a few things that got mentioned or acted upon.

Like when "To catch a predator" was starting up, I had posted that a judge
had ruled, "No child, no case". The next season they had an actual pair of
kids on the show.

But then again, how do you know a thousand other people haven't said the
same thing elsewhere?

I've had brainstorming ideas, only to find out somebody already did it.

pimpom

richard wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 22:06:17 -0600, philo wrote:
>
>> not that I agree with anything he says
>>
>> but I do admit to listening to him from time to time
>>
>> Turns out Rush Limbaugh reads this group
>> and for all I know posts here using a pseudonym
>>

>> Yesterday on his program
>> he quoted one of the statements I made here
>>

>> of course he didn't mention on his program
>> that he read it here
>>
>> So...
>>
>> I guess that explains things
>>

>> (maybe)

> I know certain people in the information business read
> newsgroups.
> I've posted a few things that got mentioned or acted upon.
>
> Like when "To catch a predator" was starting up, I had posted
> that a
> judge had ruled, "No child, no case". The next season they had
> an
> actual pair of kids on the show.
>
> But then again, how do you know a thousand other people haven't
> said
> the same thing elsewhere?
>
> I've had brainstorming ideas, only to find out somebody already
> did
> it.

It's not just that. Many websites hijack a newsgroup thread and
paste it on their websites as if it was their own. I've seen my
own posts splattered all over the www, usually with some or all
of the other posts in the thread.

pimpom

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:06:18 +0530, "pimpom"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> It's not just that. Many websites hijack a newsgroup thread
>> and
>> paste it on their websites as if it was their own. I've seen
>> my
>> own posts splattered all over the www, usually with some or
>> all
>> of the other posts in the thread.

> You have a automatic copyright on your usenet posts. A simple
> e-mail
> to the owner of the website that's archiving those posts is
> enough to
> get them to stop. There's quite a few - JLA forums comes to
> mind.
>
> E-mail them and tell them they're in copyright violation by if
> they
> continue to archive your posts. They'll stop pretty quickly.

Thanks for the tip.

richard

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:06:18 +0530, pimpom wrote:

> richard wrote:
>> On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 22:06:17 -0600, philo wrote:
>>
>>> not that I agree with anything he says
>>>
>>> but I do admit to listening to him from time to time
>>>
>>> Turns out Rush Limbaugh reads this group
>>> and for all I know posts here using a pseudonym
>>>

>>> Yesterday on his program
>>> he quoted one of the statements I made here
>>>

>>> of course he didn't mention on his program
>>> that he read it here
>>>
>>> So...
>>>
>>> I guess that explains things
>>>

>>> (maybe)

>> I know certain people in the information business read
>> newsgroups.
>> I've posted a few things that got mentioned or acted upon.
>>
>> Like when "To catch a predator" was starting up, I had posted
>> that a
>> judge had ruled, "No child, no case". The next season they had
>> an
>> actual pair of kids on the show.
>>
>> But then again, how do you know a thousand other people haven't
>> said
>> the same thing elsewhere?
>>
>> I've had brainstorming ideas, only to find out somebody already
>> did
>> it.

> It's not just that. Many websites hijack a newsgroup thread and
> paste it on their websites as if it was their own. I've seen my
> own posts splattered all over the www, usually with some or all
> of the other posts in the thread.

You don't understand that websites can also get feeds from news servers.
Newsguy.com also has a web based client I can use any time I want.
There are also several software clients that a website can use to make
groups available online through the browser.

ever hear of groups.google.com? A browser based news client.

richard

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:35:09 +0530, pimpom wrote:

> Evan Platt wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:06:18 +0530, "pimpom"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It's not just that. Many websites hijack a newsgroup thread
>>> and
>>> paste it on their websites as if it was their own. I've seen
>>> my
>>> own posts splattered all over the www, usually with some or
>>> all
>>> of the other posts in the thread.

>> You have a automatic copyright on your usenet posts. A simple
>> e-mail
>> to the owner of the website that's archiving those posts is
>> enough to
>> get them to stop. There's quite a few - JLA forums comes to
>> mind.
>>
>> E-mail them and tell them they're in copyright violation by if
>> they
>> continue to archive your posts. They'll stop pretty quickly.

> Thanks for the tip.

Evan Platt knows jack ****.
A newsgroup post appearing on a website has nothing to do with copyright.
By posting to a worldwide newsgroup, you have already given permission for
others to copy it. If you don't want it archived, learn to use the
x-no-archve header.

Now how is a website going to stop showing YOUR posts? What if fifty other
people use that same nick and addy? They get filtered too. If you want to
protect your truly copyrighted material, don't post it to usenet.

pimpom

richard wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:06:18 +0530, pimpom wrote:
>
>> richard wrote:

>>> I know certain people in the information business read
>>> newsgroups.
>>> I've posted a few things that got mentioned or acted upon.
>>>
>>> Like when "To catch a predator" was starting up, I had posted
>>> that a
>>> judge had ruled, "No child, no case". The next season they
>>> had
>>> an
>>> actual pair of kids on the show.
>>>
>>> But then again, how do you know a thousand other people
>>> haven't
>>> said
>>> the same thing elsewhere?
>>>
>>> I've had brainstorming ideas, only to find out somebody
>>> already
>>> did
>>> it.

>> It's not just that. Many websites hijack a newsgroup thread
>> and
>> paste it on their websites as if it was their own. I've seen
>> my
>> own posts splattered all over the www, usually with some or
>> all
>> of the other posts in the thread.

> You don't understand that websites can also get feeds from news
> servers.

How do you know what I understand or don't understand? I'm not a
newbie to Usenet or technology. I don't often post to 24hshd and
when I do, it's not always under the same nym. I was just
pointing out that reading a newsgroup directly is not the only
way to know what's posted there, and gave the unintended and
unexpected spread of my own posts as an example.

Legal or not, copying and pasting newsgroup messages on a website
without proper creditation or mentioning the source is unethical.
Making clumsy attempts to make it appear that the discussion is
taking place on the offender's own forum speaks volumes about the
quality of the site.

> Newsguy.com also has a web based client I can use any time I
> want. There are also several software clients that a website
> can use
> to make groups available online through the browser.
>
> ever hear of groups.google.com? A browser based news client.

Jeez! Do you constantly make feeble attempts to patronise others?
Now I know why they call you RtS.

Normally, I'm a cool guy and 99.9% of my posts to Usenet and
forums are politely worded, even when I disagree with what was
said. Maybe you caught me at a bad time, but you now have the
honour of being the target of the _fourth_ flame post I've _ever_
made to any online discussion.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> I've had brainstorming ideas,

*Anything* in your brain is a storm!!!!!1!!

--
-bts
-This poast is valid through December 21, 2012