Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > DOS Follies (Was: Docstrings...)

DOS Follies (Was: Docstrings...)

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:44:08 +0100
mk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It reminds me of why Windows uses backslashes for path separation
> instead of slashes: what I've *heard*, and do not know if it's true,
> it's because Gates fancied using / for options switch instead of -, and
> to hell with established practice.

That was because CP/M used slashes for options and DOS copied that. By
the time hierarchy was added it was too late to change.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <(E-Mail Removed)> | Democracy is three wolves

Edward A. Falk

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:44:08 +0100
>mk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> It reminds me of why Windows uses backslashes for path separation
>> instead of slashes: what I've *heard*, and do not know if it's true,
>> it's because Gates fancied using / for options switch instead of -, and
>> to hell with established practice.

>That was because CP/M used slashes for options and DOS copied that. By
>the time hierarchy was added it was too late to change.

And CP/M got it from the various PDP-11 operating systems. I *think*
that Tops-10 had it as well. In fact, I think using / to delimit
commandline options goes back to the PDP-8.

--
-Ed Falk, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/

Re: NYC train & bus follies PluckThePig=^||^ Computer Support 0 06-24-2010 04:05 AM
Closed-source software follies Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 10 01-30-2007 11:53 AM
DLL Call Follies Kythe Perl Misc 6 09-11-2006 12:33 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS, CARTOON NETWORK CHRISTMAS: YULETIDE FOLLIES, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 12-10-2004 10:10 AM
"titicut follies" Vlvetmorning98 DVD Video 6 02-29-2004 09:13 PM

Advertisments