Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Installed 2 LiteOn SATA drives - Win7 64bit does not recognize - need help

Installed 2 LiteOn SATA drives - Win7 64bit does not recognize - need help

Jim McCants

After my IDE drives were not seen by Win7 64bit, I bought 2 LiteOn Sata
drives OEM from Newegg. I have SATA cables, and power cable to attach 2
SATA cables from the drives. Attached both cables to the power cable (which
is split - one power plug and hookup for the 2 SATA cables.

Installed and still Windows Explorer will not see them. I've looked in my
BIOS and have 3 options for the OnChip SATA device:

IDE
RAID
AHCI

I have it set to IDE, no good. I've tried AHCI and no good. I am not rigged
for RAID and don't want it. Does anyone have any idea of what's wrong?

Any help will be appreciated very much!

Jim

Charlie Russel - MVP

OK, there's no reason at all that an IDE drive shouldn't be seen, and I
doubt that you have a SATA controller that can't be seen, so let's try to
get a bit more information. What type of computer are we dealing with here?
Standard OEM, or a system you built? What brand of motherboard (and model),
and what are the overall system spec's? When you added the drives, did you
run Disk Manager to initialize and format them? Or were they already
formatted drives?

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Jim McCants" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After my IDE drives were not seen by Win7 64bit, I bought 2 LiteOn Sata
> drives OEM from Newegg. I have SATA cables, and power cable to attach 2
> SATA cables from the drives. Attached both cables to the power cable
> (which is split - one power plug and hookup for the 2 SATA cables.
>
> Installed and still Windows Explorer will not see them. I've looked in my
> BIOS and have 3 options for the OnChip SATA device:
>
> IDE
> RAID
> AHCI
>
> I have it set to IDE, no good. I've tried AHCI and no good. I am not
> rigged for RAID and don't want it. Does anyone have any idea of what's
> wrong?
>
> Any help will be appreciated very much!
>
> Jim

Juergen Kluth

Hi,
in BIOS, you should havee a look at the primary page (where u set up
drives , date and time etc.) , and see wether the drives are detected or
not.

some BIOSes have a routine to start detection.

jk

Jim McCants

Charlie, I've tried to respond to you via the "Reply" option. That did not
work, so here goes:

My board is Abit IP35 Pro. System is home built. 4GB memory, 2 hard drives,
Quad core 6600 processor. MY problem is NOT hard drive related. The problem
is Win7 (64bit) will not 'see' my LitoOn OPTICAL drives, model IHAS124-04
which I just received from Newegg. They are OEM. I have SATA cables and a
split power plug that will accept both cable to power the drives. Upon
bootup, no optical drives are seen, Win Explorer does not see them, neither
does Device Manager. My BIOS is version #17, the latest that ABIT offers.

How do I get these drives to be seen?

Thanks,
Jim

"Jim McCants" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After my IDE drives were not seen by Win7 64bit, I bought 2 LiteOn Sata
> drives OEM from Newegg. I have SATA cables, and power cable to attach 2
> SATA cables from the drives. Attached both cables to the power cable
> (which is split - one power plug and hookup for the 2 SATA cables.
>
> Installed and still Windows Explorer will not see them. I've looked in my
> BIOS and have 3 options for the OnChip SATA device:
>
> IDE
> RAID
> AHCI
>
> I have it set to IDE, no good. I've tried AHCI and no good. I am not
> rigged for RAID and don't want it. Does anyone have any idea of what's
> wrong?
>
> Any help will be appreciated very much!
>
> Jim

Charlie Russel - MVP

Ah, optical drives. First, are they recognized in BIOS? Second, are any of
the drives you already have running off that SATA controller? In
devmgmt.msc, are there any ?'s or X's? If they are visible in the BIOS, and
no sign of them in devmgmt, then I strongly suspect you're missing a mobo
driver for your SATA controller.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Jim McCants" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie, I've tried to respond to you via the "Reply" option. That did not
> work, so here goes:
>
> My board is Abit IP35 Pro. System is home built. 4GB memory, 2 hard
> drives, Quad core 6600 processor. MY problem is NOT hard drive related.
> The problem is Win7 (64bit) will not 'see' my LitoOn OPTICAL drives, model
> IHAS124-04 which I just received from Newegg. They are OEM. I have SATA
> cables and a split power plug that will accept both cable to power the
> drives. Upon bootup, no optical drives are seen, Win Explorer does not
> see them, neither does Device Manager. My BIOS is version #17, the latest
> that ABIT offers.
>
> How do I get these drives to be seen?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim
>
> "Jim McCants" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> After my IDE drives were not seen by Win7 64bit, I bought 2 LiteOn Sata
>> drives OEM from Newegg. I have SATA cables, and power cable to attach 2
>> SATA cables from the drives. Attached both cables to the power cable
>> (which is split - one power plug and hookup for the 2 SATA cables.
>>
>> Installed and still Windows Explorer will not see them. I've looked in my
>> BIOS and have 3 options for the OnChip SATA device:
>>
>> IDE
>> RAID
>> AHCI
>>
>> I have it set to IDE, no good. I've tried AHCI and no good. I am not
>> rigged for RAID and don't want it. Does anyone have any idea of what's
>> wrong?
>>
>> Any help will be appreciated very much!
>>
>> Jim

Jim McCants

Charlie, in BIOS, I show 1 and 2 are hard drives, 3,4,5,6 show nothing. I
don't see anything showing the SATA Optical drives. They are not in device
manager. Where could I look in BIOS for the drives. I have them plugged in
the same SATA channels that the hard drives are. Do I need them connected
elsewhere?

Thanks!
Jim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ah, optical drives. First, are they recognized in BIOS? Second, are any of
> the drives you already have running off that SATA controller? In
> devmgmt.msc, are there any ?'s or X's? If they are visible in the BIOS,
> and no sign of them in devmgmt, then I strongly suspect you're missing a
> mobo driver for your SATA controller.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>

> "Jim McCants" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Charlie, I've tried to respond to you via the "Reply" option. That did
>> not work, so here goes:
>>
>> My board is Abit IP35 Pro. System is home built. 4GB memory, 2 hard
>> drives, Quad core 6600 processor. MY problem is NOT hard drive related.
>> The problem is Win7 (64bit) will not 'see' my LitoOn OPTICAL drives,
>> model IHAS124-04 which I just received from Newegg. They are OEM. I have
>> SATA cables and a split power plug that will accept both cable to power
>> the drives. Upon bootup, no optical drives are seen, Win Explorer does
>> not see them, neither does Device Manager. My BIOS is version #17, the
>> latest that ABIT offers.
>>
>> How do I get these drives to be seen?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim
>>
>> "Jim McCants" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> After my IDE drives were not seen by Win7 64bit, I bought 2 LiteOn Sata
>>> drives OEM from Newegg. I have SATA cables, and power cable to attach 2
>>> SATA cables from the drives. Attached both cables to the power cable
>>> (which is split - one power plug and hookup for the 2 SATA cables.
>>>
>>> Installed and still Windows Explorer will not see them. I've looked in
>>> my BIOS and have 3 options for the OnChip SATA device:
>>>
>>> IDE
>>> RAID
>>> AHCI
>>>
>>> I have it set to IDE, no good. I've tried AHCI and no good. I am not
>>> rigged for RAID and don't want it. Does anyone have any idea of what's
>>> wrong?
>>>
>>> Any help will be appreciated very much!
>>>
>>> Jim

Jim McCants

I've tried to reply 3 times now and each time I get an error message when I
'reply' or 'reply group'. Don't understand how to reply to the thread, no
option is given for that.

Bios does not show the optical drives. It show 6 channels and that is the
number I have on the mobo. Channels 1&2 are for the IDE hard drives. I have
the 2 optical drives in channels 3 &4. No other SATA options are available
on my mobo. The drives are not showing in device manager - nor upon bootup.

Thanks,
Jim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ah, optical drives. First, are they recognized in BIOS? Second, are any of
> the drives you already have running off that SATA controller? In
> devmgmt.msc, are there any ?'s or X's? If they are visible in the BIOS,
> and no sign of them in devmgmt, then I strongly suspect you're missing a
> mobo driver for your SATA controller.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>

> "Jim McCants" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Charlie, I've tried to respond to you via the "Reply" option. That did
>> not work, so here goes:
>>
>> My board is Abit IP35 Pro. System is home built. 4GB memory, 2 hard
>> drives, Quad core 6600 processor. MY problem is NOT hard drive related.
>> The problem is Win7 (64bit) will not 'see' my LitoOn OPTICAL drives,
>> model IHAS124-04 which I just received from Newegg. They are OEM. I have
>> SATA cables and a split power plug that will accept both cable to power
>> the drives. Upon bootup, no optical drives are seen, Win Explorer does
>> not see them, neither does Device Manager. My BIOS is version #17, the
>> latest that ABIT offers.
>>
>> How do I get these drives to be seen?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim
>>
>> "Jim McCants" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> After my IDE drives were not seen by Win7 64bit, I bought 2 LiteOn Sata
>>> drives OEM from Newegg. I have SATA cables, and power cable to attach 2
>>> SATA cables from the drives. Attached both cables to the power cable
>>> (which is split - one power plug and hookup for the 2 SATA cables.
>>>
>>> Installed and still Windows Explorer will not see them. I've looked in
>>> my BIOS and have 3 options for the OnChip SATA device:
>>>
>>> IDE
>>> RAID
>>> AHCI
>>>
>>> I have it set to IDE, no good. I've tried AHCI and no good. I am not
>>> rigged for RAID and don't want it. Does anyone have any idea of what's
>>> wrong?
>>>
>>> Any help will be appreciated very much!
>>>
>>> Jim

Robert Aldwinckle

"Jim McCants" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I've tried to reply 3 times now and each time I get an error message when
> I 'reply' or 'reply group'. Don't understand how to reply to the thread,
> no option is given for that.

Don't use Reply (Ctrl-r) or Reply All (Ctrl-Shift-R); those send an
E-mail to the poster. Use Reply to Group (Ctrl-g) only. Use Alt-A to
see these Actions listed in a menu.

There is a References: header in your post, so clearly one of your Ctrl-g
worked. Charlie may tell you if he received an E-mail from you as a result
of a Ctrl-r. ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---