Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Replacing PC with Notebook What Do You Think?

Reply
Thread Tools

Replacing PC with Notebook What Do You Think?

 
 
Sam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2010
I'm thinking of replacing my PC w/ a notebook. My computer use is usually
'Net browsing, email, using MS Office, storing/manipulating some photos.

I've got a very nice 26" Samsung monitor. I plan to connect the monitor,
external keyboard and mouse to the notebook most of the time.

What do you think of this notebook? I went to Dell site first but
couldn't configure a notebook that I likjed for a reasonable price.


HP dv4i
Core i5-430M 2.26GHz
512MB ATI Graphics
5.2 lbs. Laptop
6-Cell Battery
802.11n
Integrated Webcam
5-in-1 Card Reader
Item # 509430

Processor & Memory:

* Intel® Core™ i5-430M Processor (2.26GHz)
* 3MB L2 cache
* 4GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)

Drives:

* 500GB (7,200RPM) SATA Hard Drive
* SuperMulti 8x DVD±R/RW drive with Double Layer Support

Graphics & Video:

* 14.1" WXGA BrightView widescreen display; 1280 x 800 native resolution
* 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4550 Graphics

Communications:

*
Wireless-N Mini Card
*
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN

Audio:

* Built-in Altec Lansing speakers

Keyboard:

* HP color matching keyboard
* Touch Pad with on/off and dedicated vertical scroll up/down pad

Personalization:

* Color: Espresso Black
* Integrated webcam

Expandability:

* ExpressCard/54 Slot

Ports:

* 3x USB 2.0 ports (one shared with eSATA port)
* 1x HDMI
* 1x RJ-45 (LAN)
* 1x Notebook Expansion Port 3
* 1x VGA

Operating System:

* Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Additional Software:

* Microsoft® Works 9.0
* Norton Internet Security™ (60 days complimentary live updates)

Power Supply:

* 6-cell Lithium Ion Battery
* 90W AC Adapter

Additional Information:

* Approximate Weight: 5.2 lbs.
* Dimensions: Approximately 13.15” W x 9.45" D x 1.34"~1.57" H


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2010
Sam wrote:
> I'm thinking of replacing my PC w/ a notebook. My computer use is usually
> 'Net browsing, email, using MS Office, storing/manipulating some photos.


Personally, I have a love-hate relationship with LTs more hate than
love. The only thing they are good for is their portability -- and you
pay a dreadful price for the portability.

They aren't upgradeable or very 'fixable'. For the same amount of
hardware capability, you pay about 3 times as much as you would a DT
which is more 'flexible' or changeable or upgradeable.

For your needs, since you already have a monitor you like, I saw a very
small footprint desktop the other day for about $200.

The other problem with the idea of a LT which you are also going to be
using as DT is that they are heavier than is particularly comfortable.
Yours is going to weigh 5.2 pounds, 2.35 kg, 83 oz.

If you need new hardware; buy a cheap DT. If you need portability,
(also) get a netbook. You can buy both of them for far less than your
'decent' hardware LT is going to cost, and your netbook will be more
comfortably portable and your DT will be more economically upgradeably
functional.

> I've got a very nice 26" Samsung monitor. I plan to connect the monitor,
> external keyboard and mouse to the notebook most of the time.
>
> What do you think of this notebook?


How much does it cost? Why do you need all of that capability to be
portable?

If you *have to* transport significant capaibilities then it might
justify the cost; but it doesn't sound like you do.

--
Mike Easter
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
OldGringo38
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2010
, In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
Two Cents To The Sam Post:
> I'm ****ING **** COMPANION! thinking of replacing my ****ING BOOB!
> PUSSY! PC w/ a notebook.

Well lets see now.....

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
For example: John Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2010
Good answer.

What Mike's saying in a nutshell, is that a heavy LT is falling between two
stools.

Lacks the portability of a netbook.
Lacks the value and upgradability of a DT.

IOW, the choice is between value and portability.

The likelihood is that you won't WANT to shift a fat-ass LT from A to B.
So unless you need a LT for use while travelling (ie - if the P/C's never
leaving the house), you might just aswell save the money and get a DT.

Mike Easter wrote:
> Sam wrote:
>> I'm thinking of replacing my PC w/ a notebook. My computer use is
>> usually 'Net browsing, email, using MS Office, storing/manipulating
>> some photos.

>
> Personally, I have a love-hate relationship with LTs more hate than
> love. The only thing they are good for is their portability -- and
> you pay a dreadful price for the portability.
>
> They aren't upgradeable or very 'fixable'. For the same amount of
> hardware capability, you pay about 3 times as much as you would a DT
> which is more 'flexible' or changeable or upgradeable.
>
> For your needs, since you already have a monitor you like, I saw a
> very small footprint desktop the other day for about $200.
>
> The other problem with the idea of a LT which you are also going to be
> using as DT is that they are heavier than is particularly comfortable.
> Yours is going to weigh 5.2 pounds, 2.35 kg, 83 oz.
>
> If you need new hardware; buy a cheap DT. If you need portability,
> (also) get a netbook. You can buy both of them for far less than your
> 'decent' hardware LT is going to cost, and your netbook will be more
> comfortably portable and your DT will be more economically upgradeably
> functional.
>
>> I've got a very nice 26" Samsung monitor. I plan to connect the
>> monitor, external keyboard and mouse to the notebook most of the
>> time. What do you think of this notebook?

>
> How much does it cost? Why do you need all of that capability to be
> portable?
>
> If you *have to* transport significant capaibilities then it might
> justify the cost; but it doesn't sound like you do.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Sam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2010

"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sam wrote:
>> I'm thinking of replacing my PC w/ a notebook. My computer use is
>> usually 'Net browsing, email, using MS Office, storing/manipulating some
>> photos.

>
> Personally, I have a love-hate relationship with LTs more hate than love.
> The only thing they are good for is their portability -- and you pay a
> dreadful price for the portability.
>
> They aren't upgradeable or very 'fixable'. For the same amount of
> hardware capability, you pay about 3 times as much as you would a DT which
> is more 'flexible' or changeable or upgradeable.
>
> For your needs, since you already have a monitor you like, I saw a very
> small footprint desktop the other day for about $200.
>
> The other problem with the idea of a LT which you are also going to be
> using as DT is that they are heavier than is particularly comfortable.
> Yours is going to weigh 5.2 pounds, 2.35 kg, 83 oz.
>
> If you need new hardware; buy a cheap DT. If you need portability,
> (also) get a netbook. You can buy both of them for far less than your
> 'decent' hardware LT is going to cost, and your netbook will be more
> comfortably portable and your DT will be more economically upgradeably
> functional.
>
>> I've got a very nice 26" Samsung monitor. I plan to connect the monitor,
>> external keyboard and mouse to the notebook most of the time.
>>
>> What do you think of this notebook?

>
> How much does it cost? Why do you need all of that capability to be
> portable?
>
> If you *have to* transport significant capaibilities then it might justify
> the cost; but it doesn't sound like you do.
>
> --
> Mike Easter


You make good points. The HP LT costs $879.00 delivered w/ two year
warranty.
I probasbly could get a Netbook and PC for the cost of the HP LT. OTOH,
nobody I know is
really content with a Netbook. The HP LT was less expensive than a
comparably configured Dell LT.
What brought this about is my girlfriend gets by OK w/. a Macbook which I
find wanting.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Sam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2010

"For example: John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good answer.
>
> What Mike's saying in a nutshell, is that a heavy LT is falling between
> two stools.
>
> Lacks the portability of a netbook.
> Lacks the value and upgradability of a DT.
>
> IOW, the choice is between value and portability.
>
> The likelihood is that you won't WANT to shift a fat-ass LT from A to B.
> So unless you need a LT for use while travelling (ie - if the P/C's never
> leaving the house), you might just aswell save the money and get a DT.
>



I used the LT at a local COSTCO and now that I think about it I don't
believe I lifted it up.
I'll have to go back and check out the weight.

s.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2010
Sam wrote:
> "Mike Easter"


>> Personally, I have a love-hate relationship with LTs more hate than

love.

> You make good points. The HP LT costs $879.00 delivered w/ two year
> warranty.


Ouch. Mucho dinero.

> I probasbly could get a Netbook and PC for the cost of the HP LT.
> OTOH, nobody I know is really content with a Netbook.


When I shopped and bought a LT, I chose a small cheap 14" LT over a
netbook, because I wanted a large enough keyboard to suit me, and I
wanted an optical drive. But my LT cost about $300 and no shipping;
not nearly $900. I didn't want a well equipped LT; I wanted a cheap
one. I have plenty of other computer hardware.

I use the LT some traveling and I also use it wirelessly at home
occasionally in a spot not configured for a 'real' computer station. I
much much prefer desktop ergonomics.

> The HP LT was less expensive than a
> comparably configured Dell LT.


Your comparable configurations are a lot of hardware.

That LT is also going to eat battery time like mad because of how much
resources it has and how much resources Vista uses.

> What brought this about is my girlfriend gets by OK w/. a Macbook which I
> find wanting.


In terms of dollar value, many macbooks are actually a good deal --
considering that Macs in general cost about 2-3x as much as comparable
non-macs, and LTs generally cost about 3x as much as comparable DTs, but
the Mac LT only costs 3-4x as much as a comparable nonmac DT instead of
the 'natural' double multiple which should be at least 6-7x as much for
a mac LT as a comparably equipped nonmac DT.


--
Mike Easter
 
Reply With Quote
 
sandy58
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2010
On Mar 2, 3:58*pm, "Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm thinking of replacing my PC w/ a notebook. *My computer use is usually
> 'Net browsing, email, using MS Office, storing/manipulating some photos.
>
> I've got a very nice 26" Samsung monitor. I plan to connect the monitor,
> external keyboard and mouse to the notebook most of the time.
>
> What do you think of this notebook? * * I went to Dell site first but
> couldn't configure a notebook that I likjed for a reasonable price.
>
> HP dv4i
> Core i5-430M 2.26GHz
> 512MB ATI Graphics
> 5.2 lbs. Laptop
> 6-Cell Battery
> 802.11n
> Integrated Webcam
> 5-in-1 Card Reader
> Item # 509430
>
> Processor & Memory:
>
> * * * Intel Core i5-430M Processor *(2.26GHz)
> * * * 3MB L2 cache
> * * * 4GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
>
> Drives:
>
> * * * 500GB (7,200RPM) SATA Hard Drive
> * * * SuperMulti 8x DVD R/RW drive with Double Layer Support
>
> Graphics & Video:
>
> * * * 14.1" WXGA BrightView widescreen display; 1280 x 800 native resolution
> * * * 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4550 Graphics
>
> Communications:
>
> * * *
> * * * Wireless-N Mini Card
> * * *
> * * * Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
>
> Audio:
>
> * * * Built-in Altec Lansing speakers
>
> Keyboard:
>
> * * * HP color matching keyboard
> * * * Touch Pad with on/off and dedicated vertical scroll up/down pad
>
> Personalization:
>
> * * * Color: Espresso Black
> * * * Integrated webcam
>
> Expandability:
>
> * * * ExpressCard/54 Slot
>
> Ports:
>
> * * * 3x USB 2.0 ports (one shared with eSATA port)
> * * * 1x HDMI
> * * * 1x RJ-45 (LAN)
> * * * 1x Notebook Expansion Port 3
> * * * 1x VGA
>
> Operating System:
>
> * * * Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
>
> Additional Software:
>
> * * * Microsoft Works 9.0
> * * * Norton Internet Security (60 days complimentary live updates)
>
> Power Supply:
>
> * * * 6-cell Lithium Ion Battery
> * * * 90W AC Adapter
>
> Additional Information:
>
> * * * Approximate Weight: 5.2 lbs.
> * * * Dimensions: Approximately 13.15 W x 9.45" D x 1.34"~1.57" H


Sam, reckon you have a stalker? <(E-Mail Removed)>
 
Reply With Quote
 
me@privacy.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2010

>IOW, the choice is between value and portability.


I have gone with desktop and netbook combo and feel
that best!

The ergonomics of using a laptop AS a desktop is just
terrible really.

I keep my desktop hooked to HDTV so that it can be used
as media center..... but its also there for the heavy
duty apps a netbook just can do such as Autocad, etc
(I'm engineering student)

And the netbook is perfect for on the go or sitting on
porch or laying in bed

And..... you COULD remote into your desktop with the
netbook at home if needing the horsepower
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2010

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>IOW, the choice is between value and portability.

>
> I have gone with desktop and netbook combo and feel
> that best!
>
> The ergonomics of using a laptop AS a desktop is just
> terrible really.
>
> I keep my desktop hooked to HDTV so that it can be used
> as media center..... but its also there for the heavy
> duty apps a netbook just can do such as Autocad, etc
> (I'm engineering student)
>
> And the netbook is perfect for on the go or sitting on
> porch or laying in bed
>
> And..... you COULD remote into your desktop with the
> netbook at home if needing the horsepower


Which 'netbook do you have? If I remote into the DT I'm st ill limited by
the NB RAM & CPU
power unless I don't understand your setup.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Belkin N1 Wireless USB Adapter (F5D8051 ver 2010uk) and Channel 13. Notes on Pre-N Notebook card (F5D8010 ver 1001uk), Wireless G Notebook card (F5D7011 ver 1000uk) and Wireless G Plus router (F5D7231-4 ver 3000uk) John Wireless Networking 1 07-27-2009 08:41 AM
What will you be replacing your CRT monitor with? Darrel Christenson Digital Photography 179 11-20-2007 03:28 PM
Replacing Hard Drive on Notebook Bryan Computer Information 1 02-16-2007 10:49 AM
Medion Notebook FID2130 MD41349! The notebook comes to a halt when listening to music snake25790@yahoo.de Computer Support 1 02-12-2006 03:56 AM
Replacing - and not Replacing... Rob Meade ASP General 5 04-11-2005 06:49 PM



Advertisments