Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > best way to provide website wide navigation bar?

best way to provide website wide navigation bar?

123Jim

Hi all,
My navigation links are to appear in a column on every page of my website.

At the moment
I have an external css for styling links in a bulleted list, as found all
over the web.

... but I have the same links on every page, which will need to be added to
as more web pages are created or removed.

so .. how can I have one list that appears on every page so that I do not
need to edit every page on my website when a link is added or removed?

I don't want to add an HTML page inside my web pages unless I can get rid of
the ugly scroll bars that appear in the browser.

thanks for any advice

Jim

Doug Miller

In article <hmj7l6$a8p$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, "123Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi all,
>My navigation links are to appear in a column on every page of my website.
>
>At the moment
>I have an external css for styling links in a bulleted list, as found all
>over the web.
>
>... but I have the same links on every page, which will need to be added to
>as more web pages are created or removed.
>
>so .. how can I have one list that appears on every page so that I do not
>need to edit every page on my website when a link is added or removed?
>
>I don't want to add an HTML page inside my web pages unless I can get rid of
>the ugly scroll bars that appear in the browser.
>
>thanks for any advice

Google "server side includes".

SAZ

In article <hmj7l6$a8p$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...

> Hi all,
> My navigation links are to appear in a column on every page of my website.
>
> At the moment
> I have an external css for styling links in a bulleted list, as found all
> over the web.
>
> .. but I have the same links on every page, which will need to be added to
> as more web pages are created or removed.
>
> so .. how can I have one list that appears on every page so that I do not
> need to edit every page on my website when a link is added or removed?
>
> I don't want to add an HTML page inside my web pages unless I can get rid of
> the ugly scroll bars that appear in the browser.
>
> thanks for any advice
>
> Jim

Use PHP, ASP, SHTML, or any other Server side include (SSI) that is
supported by your web host.

You can also use Javascript, but that would be the worst choice.

This is relatively easy. Search Google for several descriptions on how
to do this.

123Jim

"SAZ" <saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In article <hmj7l6$a8p$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
>>
>> Hi all,
>> My navigation links are to appear in a column on every page of my
>> website.
>>
>> At the moment
>> I have an external css for styling links in a bulleted list, as found all
>> over the web.
>>
>> .. but I have the same links on every page, which will need to be added
>> as more web pages are created or removed.
>>
>> so .. how can I have one list that appears on every page so that I do not
>> need to edit every page on my website when a link is added or removed?
>>
>> I don't want to add an HTML page inside my web pages unless I can get rid
>> of
>> the ugly scroll bars that appear in the browser.
>>
>> thanks for any advice
>>
>> Jim

> Use PHP, ASP, SHTML, or any other Server side include (SSI) that is
> supported by your web host.
>
> You can also use Javascript, but that would be the worst choice.
>
> This is relatively easy. Search Google for several descriptions on how
> to do this.

ah .. the trouble is my hosting is free from my ISP (UK Tiscali, Talk talk)
and does not provide any server side stuff.

David Segall

"123Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"SAZ" <saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> In article <hmj7l6$a8p$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> My navigation links are to appear in a column on every page of my
>>> website.
>>>
>>> At the moment
>>> I have an external css for styling links in a bulleted list, as found all
>>> over the web.
>>>
>>> .. but I have the same links on every page, which will need to be added
>>> as more web pages are created or removed.
>>>
>>> so .. how can I have one list that appears on every page so that I do not
>>> need to edit every page on my website when a link is added or removed?
>>>
>>> I don't want to add an HTML page inside my web pages unless I can get rid
>>> of
>>> the ugly scroll bars that appear in the browser.
>>>
>>> thanks for any advice
>>>
>>> Jim

>> Use PHP, ASP, SHTML, or any other Server side include (SSI) that is
>> supported by your web host.
>>
>> You can also use Javascript, but that would be the worst choice.
>>
>> This is relatively easy. Search Google for several descriptions on how
>> to do this.

>ah .. the trouble is my hosting is free from my ISP (UK Tiscali, Talk talk)
>and does not provide any server side stuff.

In that case you might like to investigate a pre-processor that does
the "includes" before you upload the web pages. Roedy Green describes
the technique and some tools at
<http://mindprod.com/jgloss/htmlstaticmacros.html>.

C A Upsdell

On 2010-03-02 9:57, 123Jim wrote:
> "SAZ"<saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> In article<hmj7l6$a8p$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> My navigation links are to appear in a column on every page of my
>>> website.
>>>
>>> At the moment
>>> I have an external css for styling links in a bulleted list, as found all
>>> over the web.
>>>
>>> .. but I have the same links on every page, which will need to be added
>>> as more web pages are created or removed.
>>>
>>> so .. how can I have one list that appears on every page so that I do not
>>> need to edit every page on my website when a link is added or removed?
>>>
>>> I don't want to add an HTML page inside my web pages unless I can get rid
>>> of
>>> the ugly scroll bars that appear in the browser.
>>>
>>> thanks for any advice
>>>
>>> Jim

>> Use PHP, ASP, SHTML, or any other Server side include (SSI) that is
>> supported by your web host.
>>
>> You can also use Javascript, but that would be the worst choice.
>>
>> This is relatively easy. Search Google for several descriptions on how
>> to do this.

> ah .. the trouble is my hosting is free from my ISP (UK Tiscali, Talk talk)
> and does not provide any server side stuff.

Your editor should have global search and replace: use it. (If it
doesn't, get a better editor.)

123Jim

"David Segall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "123Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"SAZ" <saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> In article <hmj7l6$a8p$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...

>>> Use PHP, ASP, SHTML, or any other Server side include (SSI) that is
>>> supported by your web host.
>>>
>>> You can also use Javascript, but that would be the worst choice.
>>>
>>> This is relatively easy. Search Google for several descriptions on how
>>> to do this.

>>ah .. the trouble is my hosting is free from my ISP (UK Tiscali, Talk
>>talk)
>>and does not provide any server side stuff.

> In that case you might like to investigate a pre-processor that does
> the "includes" before you upload the web pages. Roedy Green describes
> the technique and some tools at
> <http://mindprod.com/jgloss/htmlstaticmacros.html>.

Clever stuff, Thanks.

SAZ

In article <hmj907$f9p$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
(E-Mail Removed)lid says...

> "SAZ" <saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> > In article <hmj7l6$a8p$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> > (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >> My navigation links are to appear in a column on every page of my
> >> website.
> >>
> >> At the moment
> >> I have an external css for styling links in a bulleted list, as found all
> >> over the web.
> >>
> >> .. but I have the same links on every page, which will need to be added
> >> as more web pages are created or removed.
> >>
> >> so .. how can I have one list that appears on every page so that I do not
> >> need to edit every page on my website when a link is added or removed?
> >>
> >> I don't want to add an HTML page inside my web pages unless I can get rid
> >> of
> >> the ugly scroll bars that appear in the browser.
> >>
> >> thanks for any advice
> >>
> >> Jim

> > Use PHP, ASP, SHTML, or any other Server side include (SSI) that is
> > supported by your web host.
> >
> > You can also use Javascript, but that would be the worst choice.
> >
> > This is relatively easy. Search Google for several descriptions on how
> > to do this.

> ah .. the trouble is my hosting is free from my ISP (UK Tiscali, Talk talk)
> and does not provide any server side stuff.

Is this a business website? If so, invest in a true web host and spend
$10 or so a month.

If this is a personal site, I'm not sure about the UK, but you can get
hosting as cheap as $4 - $5/month in the US. PHP is included just about
everywhere.

123Jim

"C A Upsdell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hmjc0e$jb6$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On 2010-03-02 9:57, 123Jim wrote:
>> "SAZ"<saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> In article<hmj7l6$a8p$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...

>>> Use PHP, ASP, SHTML, or any other Server side include (SSI) that is
>>> supported by your web host.
>>>
>>> You can also use Javascript, but that would be the worst choice.
>>>
>>> This is relatively easy. Search Google for several descriptions on how
>>> to do this.

>> ah .. the trouble is my hosting is free from my ISP (UK Tiscali, Talk
>> talk)
>> and does not provide any server side stuff.

> Your editor should have global search and replace: use it. (If it
> doesn't, get a better editor.)

My web dev environment has no such function (Kompozer), but Notepad++ does
the job very well.
Thanks to all those who replied. I am up to speed now.

Thanks for the info .