Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Registering for UK ENUM

Registering for UK ENUM

Chris Hills

Nominet currently lists three accredited registrars for UK ENUM
(4.4.e164.arpa). Having tried for 2 months to contact these companies by
email and phone, I have not received a single response. Has anyone else
had any success?

Gordon Henderson

In article <hmiukt$r4j$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
Chris Hills <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Nominet currently lists three accredited registrars for UK ENUM
>(4.4.e164.arpa). Having tried for 2 months to contact these companies by
>email and phone, I have not received a single response. Has anyone else
>had any success?

I was approached a while back to see if I wanted to be a reseller of one
of them, but the rates were stupidly high - far higher than would appear
to make any savings by being able to dial direct via VoIP, bypassing
the PSTN.

Personally I'm not in favour of it - yet. To make it work, you'll have to
open your VoIP gateway to allow anonymous callers to place incoming
calls - great for the callers who can potentially save money by dialling
your VoIP gateway rather than via the PSTN, but bad for you as it's
opening you up to all sorts of potential spam possibilities.

So of the 3 that nominet list:

http://www.enums.co.uk/ - you'd think registering a single number might
be cheap and easy - amazingly it's not - they want an initial fee of
$36.49 and an anual fee of $25.

Hang on - US dollars. Why would I want to pay in US Dollars for something
sourced in the UK?

enum2go.com - can't regsiter yet.

www.ukenumbers.com - looks like they're not ready yet - have this on
their site:

We are now pre-registering ENUMs for the Corporate and Medium Enterprise
sectors from as little as 250 with a monthly rental fee of just 5 for
the main number and 0.10 for each additional DDI number.

Well, it's no-wonder they're not replying to you - probably gone bust
and it's all fallen flat on it's face because no-one in their right mind
if going to PAY for a service that'll potentially give them open access
to spammers...

www.ukenumbers.com goes on to say:

So let us break that down for you with a nice simple example. Let's
say your organisation is a insurance broker. Now let's asume you have
one main UK landline and five DDI numbers (one each for home, car and
travel insurance, one for claims and one for billing) To get on board
nice and early all you have to pay the one off 250 registration fee
followed by monthly payments of 5 + ( 5 x 10p) = 5.50 per month! (all
subject to VAT)

Great - 5.50 a month after the registration fee for what - to allow your
callers to call you for free using the Internet - but that also assumes
you already have a VoIP capable PBX which can take anonymous calls...

Nope - I really don't get it.

Gordon

Re: registering/re-registering ASP.NET 1.1.4322 with IIS Juan T. Llibre ASP .Net 2 12-16-2006 12:29 AM
enum: display elements of an enum specified at runtime Jerminia Java 3 10-07-2005 10:08 PM
enum within an enum - Java 6 06-13-2005 12:51 AM
Including an enum within another enum, possible? mrhicks C Programming 2 06-10-2004 03:00 AM
How to enum an enum? Ernst Murnleitner C++ 5 11-13-2003 11:06 AM

Advertisments