Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > usb boot 4 hard drive wipe

usb boot 4 hard drive wipe

duckstandard

Hi, I am looking for a simple way to make a bootable USB drive that
will be able to use a utility to wipe harddrives. Preferably if it
would securely overwrite bad sectors, and possible try to repair bad
blocks or to make them ignored.
If I said that all correctly. Thanks for suggestions.

duckstandard

Alec Lourmier wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:23:49 -0800 (PST), duckstandard
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi, I am looking for a simple way to make a bootable USB drive that
> >will be able to use a utility to wipe harddrives.

> Try DBAN: <http://www.dban.org/>
>
> The installer should allow installing to a USB flash drive.

Thanks, I guess my issue was finding something that makes the USB
bootable, but I guess I will find out. Thanks.

duckstandard

Alec Lourmier wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:21:42 -0800 (PST), duckstandard
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Thanks, I guess my issue was finding something that makes the USB
> >bootable, but I guess I will find out. Thanks.

> The installer should do it. See the following:
>
> <http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install-dban-to-a-usb-flash-drive-using-windows/>
>
> --
> Alec
> I am pro skub.

Thanks, just what I was looking for.

tam

duckstandard wrote:
> Hi, I am looking for a simple way to make a bootable USB drive that
> will be able to use a utility to wipe harddrives. Preferably if it
> would securely overwrite bad sectors, and possible try to repair bad
> blocks or to make them ignored.
> If I said that all correctly. Thanks for suggestions.

I also use this HP format utility with great success. This utility will
format the usb and makes it bootable with win98. After format, you can
put other dos tool to perform various tasks.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html