Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > copyright infringement by google

copyright infringement by google

David Raleigh Arnold

A question for an html guru:

I want people to download my pdf files, but I want them to
do it only from html links on my site, and not directly
thru links on a GOOGLE site. Is there a way of preventing
such unauthorized download links from working? Hopefully, daveA

--
For beginners: very easy guitar music, solos, duets, exercises. Early
intermediate guitar solos. One best scale set for all guitarists.

Neredbojias

On 01 Mar 2010, David Raleigh Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A question for an html guru:
>
> I want people to download my pdf files, but I want them to
> do it only from html links on my site, and not directly
> thru links on a GOOGLE site. Is there a way of preventing
> such unauthorized download links from working? Hopefully, daveA

Not html, more like server-side scripting. Try, for example, a php
group. It's pretty simple and I'd tell you myself but I don't feel
like getting into the acrimonious long debate which would inevitably
follow.

--
Neredbojias

82nd Academy Award Predictions:

Best Picture: Avatar
Actor in a Leading Role: Jeff Bridges
Actress in a Leading Role: Meryl Streep or Sandra Bullock
Actor in a Supporting Role: Christopher Plummer
Actress in a Supporting Role: Vera Farmiga or Maggie Gyllenhaal
Director: James Cameron

OK, I hedged on a couple, but there they are.

http://www.neredbojias.org/
http://www.neredbojias.net/

Jukka K. Korpela

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

> A question for an html guru:

It's not an html issue, and linking does not infringe copyright.

> I want people to download my pdf files, but I want them to
> do it only from html links on my site, and not directly
> thru links on a GOOGLE site.

You can shoot yourself in the foot that way (making it harder to people to
download something you want to make downloadable) by changing the server
behavior so that it checks for the REFERER header (in HTTP request headers).
The way to do that depends on the server software and on what you can do on
the server.

It won't be foolproof of course - you would sometimes miss your foot because
someone found out what you are doing and programmed his client software to
send whatever REFERER header your server regards as OK.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

David Raleigh Arnold

*partial* top post:

First thank you all for your replies, which score very high on
a usefulness scale.

>> I want people to download my pdf files, but I want them to do it only
>> from html links on my site, and not directly thru links on a GOOGLE
>> site. Is there a way of preventing such unauthorized download links
>> from working? Hopefully, daveA
>>

> You could put the files in a password-protected directory on you server.

I think I could do that.

> And not link to those files anywhere else on pages that are able to be
> indexed.

Pages that are able to be indexed? Do you mean use robots.txt?

> I have a few directories on my servers like that and they have
> never been found by search engines.

Sounds good.

> Other than that you haven't given us enough to work with in terms of
> your environment.

I have just written html so far. I have web space on a linux server
running apache which provides at least javascript and php, which
languages I have never done anything with. My long suit is the site's
content. I wrote the site in a text editor. I hope that doesn't sound
too much like whining. Regards, daveA

--

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 07:46:32 +0000, Neredbojias wrote:

> On 01 Mar 2010, David Raleigh Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> A question for an html guru:
>>
>> I want people to download my pdf files, but I want them to do it only
>> from html links on my site, and not directly thru links on a GOOGLE
>> site. Is there a way of preventing such unauthorized download links
>> from working? Hopefully, daveA

> Not html, more like server-side scripting. Try, for example, a php
> group. It's pretty simple and I'd tell you myself but I don't feel like
> getting into the acrimonious long debate which would inevitably follow.

Thanks.

What, between php and javascript? I know the server (apache) provides
both of those, I don't really know what else. What do you recommend?
Regards, daveA

--
For beginners: very easy guitar music, solos, duets, exercises. Early
intermediate guitar solos. One best scale set for all guitarists.
http://www.openguitar.com/scalescomparison.html ::: plus new and
better chord and arpeggio exercises. http://www.openguitar.com

richard

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 03:06:37 GMT, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

> A question for an html guru:
>
> I want people to download my pdf files, but I want them to
> do it only from html links on my site, and not directly
> thru links on a GOOGLE site. Is there a way of preventing
> such unauthorized download links from working? Hopefully, daveA

Might be possible to do with htaccess. Ban the search engines from those
pages.
Or redirect them to your home page.

David Raleigh Arnold

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:00:41 +0200, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
>
>> A question for an html guru:

> It's not an html issue, and linking does not infringe copyright.

Yes it does, because I am the owner and I say it does. It's that
simple. They have no permission to link it, and I am deprived of the
benefit of having content on my site and furthermore they are
stealing bandwidth. They are leeches.

>> I want people to download my pdf files, but I want them to do it only
>> from html links on my site, and not directly thru links on a GOOGLE
>> site.

> You can shoot yourself in the foot that way (making it harder to people
> to download something you want to make downloadable) by changing the
> server behavior so that it checks for the REFERER header (in HTTP
> request headers). The way to do that depends on the server software and
> on what you can do on the server.
>
> It won't be foolproof of course - you would sometimes miss your foot
> because someone found out what you are doing and programmed his client
> software to send whatever REFERER header your server regards as OK.

Thank you so much. I can't do anything on the server, so I must write
a php script? or javascript? Regards, daveA

--

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

>> It's not an html issue, and linking does not infringe copyright.

> Yes it does, because I am the owner and I say it does.

Your opinions, feelings, and statements do not constitute copyright.
Copyright is defined by laws, and you cannot extend its scope by your
statements. Normal linking isn't a copyright matter any more than writing
the name or the ISBN number of a book in an article or referring to a statue
by its geographic coordinates.

> Thank you so much. I can't do anything on the server, so I must write
> a php script?

PHP is server-side only.

> or javascript?

JavaScript can be used client-side too, but what do you expect to
accomplish? How could JavaScript on a web page affect anything that happens
between a client and a server at the HTTP level, without involving HTML the
least? The client asks for a resource by URL, and the server returns or does
not return a PDF document. There is no way you can affect this in HTML.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Harlan Messinger

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:00:41 +0200, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>
>> David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
>>
>>> A question for an html guru:

>> It's not an html issue, and linking does not infringe copyright.

> Yes it does, because I am the owner and I say it does.

Copyright is what copyright law says it is, not whatever someone who
owns something declares it to be.

What in your experience is the basis for your notion that you have
dictatorial power over anything relating in any way to something you
own? Do you think that you can paint a portrait, hold it up in public,
and then sue people for looking at it without your permission--or for
telling other people (this is more comparable to the providing of a
link) that you're on such-and-such corner holding up the portrait?

> It's that
> simple. They have no permission to link it,

They don't need your permission to link to it any more than they need
your permission to list your phone number.

> and I am deprived of the
> benefit of having content on my site and furthermore they are
> stealing bandwidth. They are leeches.

It's your responsibility to keep something you don't want seen away from
people's eyes.

Jukka K. Korpela

Harlan Messinger wrote:

> They don't need your permission to link to it any more than they need
> your permission to list your phone number.

Actually, they need a permission to link _less_ than they may need to list a
phone number, at least if it's a private phone number. Displaying a phone
number on a web page may be construed (at least if you listen to the
Commission and the Court of Justice of the European Union) as processing of
personal data in a manner that normally requires permission from the persons
involved. The address of a web resource is not personal data.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/