Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Are there any known problems using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 64-Bit

Are there any known problems using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 64-Bit

Nathan Sokalski

I am using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. However, I have
been getting an error when debugging my site even though I haven't changed
anything since I had it on my old 32-Bit XP machine not more than about 2
months ago. I have been trying to get help for the actual errors with some
of the other newsgroups; my question here is are there any known issues
between Visual Studio 2008/.NET 3.5 and 64-Bit operating systems? Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Alexey Smirnov

On Mar 2, 12:25*am, "Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. However, I have
> been getting an error when debugging my site even though I haven't changed
> anything since I had it on my old 32-Bit XP machine not more than about 2
> months ago. I have been trying to get help for the actual errors with some
> of the other newsgroups; my question here is are there any known issues
> between Visual Studio 2008/.NET 3.5 and 64-Bit operating systems? Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> (E-Mail Removed)://www.nathansokalski.com/

So, what is the error, and how it is configured? Are you using IIS, or
VS.Net test web server?

Nathan Sokalski

The error has to do with a control being Nothing (or null) when I try to set
one of it's properties. I am using the Visual Studio 2008 test web server.
Even though I have tried to find a way to fix it, the thing that makes me
wonder if it has anything to do with Windows 7 or 64-bit is the fact that
when I would test the site on my 32-bit XP machine less than 2 months ago, I
had not problems with the exact same code. And even more frustrating is the
fact that I have made a copy of the site and compared every file character
for character, yet one works and one doesn't. But I have (and still am)
trying to figure out how to fix the problem in another thread, my real
question here is whether 2008 has any known issues on Windows 7 64-Bit. Is
there a site that Microsoft has that would have information like this
available on it? Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
(E-Mail Removed)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mar 2, 12:25 am, "Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. However, I
>> have
>> been getting an error when debugging my site even though I haven't
>> changed
>> anything since I had it on my old 32-Bit XP machine not more than about 2
>> months ago. I have been trying to get help for the actual errors with
>> some
>> of the other newsgroups; my question here is are there any known issues
>> between Visual Studio 2008/.NET 3.5 and 64-Bit operating systems? Thanks.
>> --
>> Nathan Sokalski
>> (E-Mail Removed)://www.nathansokalski.com/

> So, what is the error, and how it is configured? Are you using IIS, or
> VS.Net test web server?

Alexey Smirnov

On Mar 2, 5:02*pm, "Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The error has to do with a control being Nothing (or null) when I try to set
> one of it's properties. I am using the Visual Studio 2008 test web server..
> Even though I have tried to find a way to fix it, the thing that makes me
> wonder if it has anything to do with Windows 7 or 64-bit is the fact that
> when I would test the site on my 32-bit XP machine less than 2 months ago, I
> had not problems with the exact same code. And even more frustrating is the
> fact that I have made a copy of the site and compared every file character
> for character, yet one works and one doesn't. But I have (and still am)
> trying to figure out how to fix the problem in another thread, my real
> question here is whether 2008 has any known issues on Windows 7 64-Bit. Is
> there a site that Microsoft has that would have information like this
> available on it? Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> (E-Mail Removed)://www.nathansokalski.com/
>
> "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > On Mar 2, 12:25 am, "Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I am using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. However, I
> >> have
> >> been getting an error when debugging my site even though I haven't
> >> changed
> >> anything since I had it on my old 32-Bit XP machine not more than about 2
> >> months ago. I have been trying to get help for the actual errors with
> >> some
> >> of the other newsgroups; my question here is are there any known issues
> >> between Visual Studio 2008/.NET 3.5 and 64-Bit operating systems? Thanks.
> >> --
> >> Nathan Sokalski
> >> (E-Mail Removed)://www.nathansokalski.com/

> > So, what is the error, and how it is configured? Are you using IIS, or
> > VS.Net test web server?- Hide quoted text -

If it refers to a control then comparing project files will not help,
because this is not because of the source code. It sounds like either
VS was not properly installed, or another application did change
something there. Do you have SP1 installed? If I were you I would try
to reinstall SP or VS.

Alexey Smirnov

On Mar 2, 5:02*pm, "Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The error has to do with a control being Nothing (or null) when I try to set
> one of it's properties. I am using the Visual Studio 2008 test web server..
> Even though I have tried to find a way to fix it, the thing that makes me
> wonder if it has anything to do with Windows 7 or 64-bit is the fact that
> when I would test the site on my 32-bit XP machine less than 2 months ago, I
> had not problems with the exact same code. And even more frustrating is the
> fact that I have made a copy of the site and compared every file character
> for character, yet one works and one doesn't. But I have (and still am)
> trying to figure out how to fix the problem in another thread, my real
> question here is whether 2008 has any known issues on Windows 7 64-Bit. Is
> there a site that Microsoft has that would have information like this
> available on it? Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> (E-Mail Removed)://www.nathansokalski.com/
>
> "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > On Mar 2, 12:25 am, "Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I am using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. However, I
> >> have
> >> been getting an error when debugging my site even though I haven't
> >> changed
> >> anything since I had it on my old 32-Bit XP machine not more than about 2
> >> months ago. I have been trying to get help for the actual errors with
> >> some
> >> of the other newsgroups; my question here is are there any known issues
> >> between Visual Studio 2008/.NET 3.5 and 64-Bit operating systems? Thanks.
> >> --
> >> Nathan Sokalski
> >> (E-Mail Removed)://www.nathansokalski.com/

> > So, what is the error, and how it is configured? Are you using IIS, or
> > VS.Net test web server?- Hide quoted text -

More about compatibility
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...udio&os=64-bit

inventor1984

I would like to learn Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
as I have this OS and need to write....

I question did you have to go to a University to learn this?

Can you lean it for free on the web?

How much does VS cost?

ie... could I use VS to edit the menu in Live Mail to add insert time
and date like Outlook has

and edit the menu in Live Mail to add insert signature?

ie... what are some things I could write using VS... that I and add to
ie 8 Live Mail Photo Manager etc

thanks

inventsomething at live dot com

Greg

On Mar 2, 9:43*am, Alexey Smirnov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 5:02*pm, "Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > The error has to do with a control being Nothing (or null) when I try to set
> > one of it's properties. I am using the Visual Studio 2008 test web server.
> > Even though I have tried to find a way to fix it, the thing that makes me
> > wonder if it has anything to do with Windows 7 or 64-bit is the fact that
> > when I would test the site on my 32-bit XP machine less than 2 months ago, I
> > had not problems with the exact same code. And even more frustrating is the
> > fact that I have made a copy of the site and compared every file character
> > for character, yet one works and one doesn't. But I have (and still am)
> > trying to figure out how to fix the problem in another thread, my real
> > question here is whether 2008 has any known issues on Windows 7 64-Bit. Is
> > there a site that Microsoft has that would have information like this
> > available on it? Thanks.
> > --
> > Nathan Sokalski
> > (E-Mail Removed)://www.nathansokalski.com/

> > "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > So, what is the error, and how it is configured? Are you using IIS, or
> > > VS.Net test web server?- Hide quoted text -

> More about compatibilityhttp://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search...- Hide quoted text -

Alexey Smirnov

On 2 Mrz., 19:16, inventor1984 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I would like to learn Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
> as I have this OS and need to write....
>
> I question did you have to go to a University to learn this?
>
> Can you lean it for free on the web?
>
> How much does VS cost?
>
> ie... could I use VS to edit the menu in Live Mail to add insert time
> and date like Outlook has
>
> and edit the menu in Live Mail to add insert signature?
>
> ie... what are some things I could write using VS... that I and add to
> ie 8 Live Mail Photo Manager etc
>
> thanks
>
> inventsomething * *at * live *dot com
>
> Greg
>
> On Mar 2, 9:43*am, Alexey Smirnov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 2, 5:02*pm, "Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > The error has to do with a control being Nothing (or null) when I try to set
> > > one of it's properties. I am using the Visual Studio 2008 test web server.
> > > Even though I have tried to find a way to fix it, the thing that makes me
> > > wonder if it has anything to do with Windows 7 or 64-bit is the fact that
> > > when I would test the site on my 32-bit XP machine less than 2 months ago, I
> > > had not problems with the exact same code. And even more frustrating is the
> > > fact that I have made a copy of the site and compared every file character
> > > for character, yet one works and one doesn't. But I have (and still am)
> > > trying to figure out how to fix the problem in another thread, my real
> > > question here is whether 2008 has any known issues on Windows 7 64-Bit. Is
> > > there a site that Microsoft has that would have information like this
> > > available on it? Thanks.
> > > --
> > > Nathan Sokalski
> > > (E-Mail Removed)://www.nathansokalski.com/

> > > "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > >news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> > More about compatibilityhttp://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search...Hide quoted text -

Start with a book
e.g.

Visual Studio 2008 For Dummies
http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Studio-.../dp/0470191082

Nathan Sokalski

I tried reinstalling Visual Studio 2008, and I do have the service pack:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
Version 9.0.30729.1 SP
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 3.5 SP1

But I still receive the same problem. Any other ideas? Thank you for your
help.
--
Nathan Sokalski
(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mar 2, 5:02 pm, "Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The error has to do with a control being Nothing (or null) when I try to
>> set
>> one of it's properties. I am using the Visual Studio 2008 test web
>> server.
>> Even though I have tried to find a way to fix it, the thing that makes me
>> wonder if it has anything to do with Windows 7 or 64-bit is the fact that
>> when I would test the site on my 32-bit XP machine less than 2 months
>> ago, I
>> had not problems with the exact same code. And even more frustrating is
>> the
>> fact that I have made a copy of the site and compared every file
>> character
>> for character, yet one works and one doesn't. But I have (and still am)
>> trying to figure out how to fix the problem in another thread, my real
>> question here is whether 2008 has any known issues on Windows 7 64-Bit.
>> Is
>> there a site that Microsoft has that would have information like this
>> available on it? Thanks.
>> --
>> Nathan Sokalski
>> (E-Mail Removed)://www.nathansokalski.com/
>>
>> "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > So, what is the error, and how it is configured? Are you using IIS, or
>> > VS.Net test web server?- Hide quoted text -

> If it refers to a control then comparing project files will not help,
> because this is not because of the source code. It sounds like either
> VS was not properly installed, or another application did change
> something there. Do you have SP1 installed? If I were you I would try
> to reinstall SP or VS.

Family Tree Mike

On 3/2/2010 5:20 PM, Nathan Sokalski wrote:
> I tried reinstalling Visual Studio 2008, and I do have the service pack:
>
> Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
> Version 9.0.30729.1 SP
> Microsoft .NET Framework
> Version 3.5 SP1
>
> But I still receive the same problem. Any other ideas? Thank you for
> your help.

Perhaps the control (3rd party?) only works in 32-bit mode?

--
Mike

Nathan Sokalski

The control is one that I wrote, and to the best of my knowledge it does not
use any classes that are affected by whether it is running in a 32 or 64-bit
environment. And as I said before, I have two projects with identical code
(including the source code for this control), and only one is working.

--
Nathan Sokalski
(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.nathansokalski.com/