Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Boot problem

Boot problem

Jan Berden

After installing and removing the program "Paragon Partition manager 10.0
Personal" I got a hold-up in the PC upstart.

In Dos booting I see now a black page with a text message lines: drive 0 :
primary 00 Vista/2008/7 NTFS and primary 00 Linux.
Insert startup disk in floppy drive and press F2 to run setup.

By pressing "enter" Windows 7 Professional starts and runs further normally.

Is there any suggestion to remove this startup page

Jerry

Search for EasyBCD.exe and download and run it. You will be presented with
options to edit/modify your boot conditions.

"Jan Berden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After installing and removing the program "Paragon Partition manager 10.0
> Personal" I got a hold-up in the PC upstart.
>
> In Dos booting I see now a black page with a text message lines: drive 0 :
> primary 00 Vista/2008/7 NTFS and primary 00 Linux.
> Insert startup disk in floppy drive and press F2 to run setup.
>
> By pressing "enter" Windows 7 Professional starts and runs further
> normally.
>
> Is there any suggestion to remove this startup page

Charlie Russel - MVP

The boot manager on your PC has some legacy changes made by the partition
manager that need to be undone. The Windows command line tool for this is
bcdedit, but it honestly has the worst user interface of anything I've seen
from Microsoft since Edlin. There are a couple of graphical interfaces from
third parties that make the whole thing a lot easier, and even a confirmed
command line junky like me finds it simpler and safer to use one of these
GUI wrappers. Dualbootpro and EasyBCD are two that I'm aware of.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Jan Berden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After installing and removing the program "Paragon Partition manager 10.0
> Personal" I got a hold-up in the PC upstart.
>
> In Dos booting I see now a black page with a text message lines: drive 0 :
> primary 00 Vista/2008/7 NTFS and primary 00 Linux.
> Insert startup disk in floppy drive and press F2 to run setup.
>
> By pressing "enter" Windows 7 Professional starts and runs further
> normally.
>
> Is there any suggestion to remove this startup page

Jan Berden

Thanks for the quick answer.
EasyBCD did not find unusual entries. Mentioned was that only Windows7 was
the existing entry.
So I think there is running somewhere another command by the start up.
The hold is not that boring ,Windows 7 will run finally.
If there are more suggestions I shall be glad to hear of it
I continue my search, maybe I install Windows later on again.

"Jan Berden" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After installing and removing the program "Paragon Partition manager 10.0
> Personal" I got a hold-up in the PC upstart.
>
> In Dos booting I see now a black page with a text message lines: drive 0 :
> primary 00 Vista/2008/7 NTFS and primary 00 Linux.
> Insert startup disk in floppy drive and press F2 to run setup.
>
> By pressing "enter" Windows 7 Professional starts and runs further
> normally.
>
> Is there any suggestion to remove this startup page

Bobby Johnson

If you really want to fix the problem, do a clean install of your system
and afterwards monitor the start-up and shutdown after installation of
programs and drivers. You apparently have tried about everything else
you can try.

On 2010-03-02 14:23, Jan Berden wrote:
> Thanks for the quick answer.
> EasyBCD did not find unusual entries. Mentioned was that only Windows7
> was the existing entry.
> So I think there is running somewhere another command by the start up.
> The hold is not that boring ,Windows 7 will run finally.
> If there are more suggestions I shall be glad to hear of it
> I continue my search, maybe I install Windows later on again.
>

> "Jan Berden" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> After installing and removing the program "Paragon Partition manager
>> 10.0 Personal" I got a hold-up in the PC upstart.
>>
>> In Dos booting I see now a black page with a text message lines: drive
>> 0 : primary 00 Vista/2008/7 NTFS and primary 00 Linux.
>> Insert startup disk in floppy drive and press F2 to run setup.
>>
>> By pressing "enter" Windows 7 Professional starts and runs further
>> normally.
>>
>> Is there any suggestion to remove this startup page

Robert Aldwinckle

"Jan Berden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After installing and removing the program "Paragon Partition manager 10.0
> Personal" I got a hold-up in the PC upstart.
>
> In Dos booting I see now a black page with a text message lines: drive 0 :
> primary 00 Vista/2008/7 NTFS and primary 00 Linux.
> Insert startup disk in floppy drive and press F2 to run setup.
>
> By pressing "enter" Windows 7 Professional starts and runs further
> normally.
>
> Is there any suggestion to remove this startup page

<title>How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment
to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows</title><

(Microsoft search for
fixboot "Windows 7"
)

<quote>
/FixBoot
The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by
using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:

The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista or
Windows 7 boot sector.

The boot sector is damaged.

An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista
or Windows 7 was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using
Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).

</quote>

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

John Barnes

You can try running startup repair from the install disk. Otherwise it
would appear you have to rewrite your master boot record.

"Jan Berden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the quick answer.
> EasyBCD did not find unusual entries. Mentioned was that only Windows7 was
> the existing entry.
> So I think there is running somewhere another command by the start up.
> The hold is not that boring ,Windows 7 will run finally.
> If there are more suggestions I shall be glad to hear of it
> I continue my search, maybe I install Windows later on again.
>

> "Jan Berden" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> After installing and removing the program "Paragon Partition manager 10.0
>> Personal" I got a hold-up in the PC upstart.
>>
>> In Dos booting I see now a black page with a text message lines: drive 0
>> : primary 00 Vista/2008/7 NTFS and primary 00 Linux.
>> Insert startup disk in floppy drive and press F2 to run setup.
>>
>> By pressing "enter" Windows 7 Professional starts and runs further
>> normally.
>>
>> Is there any suggestion to remove this startup page

Mark McGinty

"Jan Berden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After installing and removing the program "Paragon Partition manager 10.0
> Personal" I got a hold-up in the PC upstart.
>
> In Dos booting I see now a black page with a text message lines: drive 0 :
> primary 00 Vista/2008/7 NTFS and primary 00 Linux.
> Insert startup disk in floppy drive and press F2 to run setup.
>
> By pressing "enter" Windows 7 Professional starts and runs further
> normally.
>
> Is there any suggestion to remove this startup page

Is it possible both partitions were marked as active? Use DISKPART.EXE to
view/change the active partition.

-Mark

John John - MVP

Mark McGinty wrote:
> "Jan Berden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> After installing and removing the program "Paragon Partition manager 10.0
>> Personal" I got a hold-up in the PC upstart.
>>
>> In Dos booting I see now a black page with a text message lines: drive 0 :
>> primary 00 Vista/2008/7 NTFS and primary 00 Linux.
>> Insert startup disk in floppy drive and press F2 to run setup.
>>
>> By pressing "enter" Windows 7 Professional starts and runs further
>> normally.
>>
>> Is there any suggestion to remove this startup page
>>

> Is it possible both partitions were marked as active?

That is impossible.

Use DISKPART.EXE to
> view/change the active partition.

The boot manager changed the boot sector of the active partition and
inserted its code in there. It is also possible that the boot manager
would have changed the IPL code in the MBR and added its code in there,
for example some Linux boot loaders load from the MBR instead of the
boot sector of the active partition. Robert has pointed the OP in the
right direction, but depending on the boot manager the OP may also need
to use the /FixMbr command to rewrite the MBR.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392
How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

John

Jeff Gaines

On 09/03/2010 in message <#(E-Mail Removed)> John John
- MVP wrote:

>>Is it possible both partitions were marked as active?

>That is impossible.

Why do you say that?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his