Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > What criteria should be used to determine asp.net web hoster?

What criteria should be used to determine asp.net web hoster?

VM

I'm looking for an ASP.Net web hoster for my page and I'd like to know what
I should consider when making my decision.

Since I'm an independent software consultant, my short-term goal is to
attract potential clients to the site so they can see my skills through my
website. I'll send them an email that will have a link to my resume in my
site; from there, they can just navigate through the site. Although most of
it will be done through dot net, I'm also going to use Macromedia
Dreamweaver and Flash.
On the other hand, I want a hoster that's affordable for someone with a
limited budget.
Do you guys have any suggestion on companies that are affordable and have a
good reputation?

Also, if I want to impress these clients with my site, what kind of web
application can I add to the site that'll let them know that I have
experience with asp.net?

Thanks again,
VM

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi VM,

Thanks for posting in the community! My name is Steven, and I'll be
assisting you on this issue.
From your description, you're looking for a ASP.NET web hoster. Also,
you'd like to get some suggestions on how to choosing a good hoster and
decorate the pages so as to attract potential clients to your site, yes?

As for the organization and decoration of the site or pages, Tim's
suggestions are quite detailed and wonderful, I believe they'll be helpful
to you. And as for the web hoster, I think there're serval items maybe very
important, such as the the host server's performance, its hardware
condition. Since you're using the ASP.NET, you'd like to confirm the
hosting service provider about the database support. As for the Dreamweaver
/ Flash , they're all common reqirements of a site, I don't think they'll
be the problem. Also, here is the resource site for the web hosting service
providers, there're some specialized infos on web hosting, you may have a
look if you feel necessary:
#Microsoft Windows Web Hoster Program Resource Site
http://www.microsoft.com/serviceprov...ng/default.asp

In addition, I've searched some ASP.NET web hosting services from the
internet, you may also have a check on them:
#General Hosting WinWeb
http://www.generalhosting.com/

#WebStrike solution
http://www.webstrikesolutions.com/hosting.html

#Re-invent hosting
http://www.re-invent.com/webhosting.asp

#CyberTarp Web Hosting
http://cybertarp.com

Hope they're helpful.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

VM

Thanks for all the information. About Brinkster, do you know if they offer
access to any DB? I know they offer access to SQL server for an additional
$15. Do you know if they offer anything with mySql?

Thanks.
VM

"Tim S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey VM,
> I've found Brinkster to be pretty good (www.brinkster.com). You can get

hosting for as cheap as 15 $/month. If you find out that that you need to do
something they don't allow (they're not an enterprise server, so for example
you can't cache web pages with Brinkster), you can always switch to a
different (more expensive) site later and rerout your Domain name server -
i.e. a user wouldn't notice a difference.

> In terms of impressing people, I personally prefer good architecture.

Having such things as passing data through tiers to a database, exception
logging, user customization, and security are a good start. Including web
services as also good. For example, you could make an online address book
(demonstrate data base connectivity) that you need to log into. The site
would customize itself based on the log-in. For kicks throw in a webservice
that does some relevant business functionality (perhaps displays a map or
does spell checking): http://www.xmethods.net/ve2/Directory.po

> Although, ultimatley the most impressive thing is a real world

application. If you're experienced in ASP.Net, you got that experience from
somewhere - show your clients the sites you've already done.

> Best of luck,
> Tim S.
>
> ----- VM wrote: -----
>
> I'm looking for an ASP.Net web hoster for my page and I'd like to

know what
> I should consider when making my decision.
>
> Since I'm an independent software consultant, my short-term goal is

> attract potential clients to the site so they can see my skills

through my
> website. I'll send them an email that will have a link to my resume

in my
> site; from there, they can just navigate through the site. Although

most of
> it will be done through dot net, I'm also going to use Macromedia
> Dreamweaver and Flash.
> On the other hand, I want a hoster that's affordable for someone with

> limited budget.
> Do you guys have any suggestion on companies that are affordable and

have a
> good reputation?
>
> Also, if I want to impress these clients with my site, what kind of

web
> application can I add to the site that'll let them know that I have
> experience with asp.net?
>
> Thanks again,
> VM

J.D. Deutschendorf

VM,

I've been having some problems with Brinkster lately. They just can't
seem to get my log files populated on a consistent basis. I often get
no log files for weekends and holidays. And this has been going on for
months. Each time I contact their customer support I get the same
reply:

"This feature has been reset to your account. Let us know if you
continue to have difficulty."

They recently moved to new servers and my site was down for most of
the day. I know that because I do have the log files for that day:
01/22/2004. In fact as of today, that's the last log file I've gotten.

I'm running ASP.NET, classic ASP, and using Access databases. I'm also
looking for a more reliable host.

J.D. Deutschendorf
www.jangle.net

"VM" <None> wrote in message news:<#(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Thanks for all the information. About Brinkster, do you know if they offer
> access to any DB? I know they offer access to SQL server for an additional
> $15. Do you know if they offer anything with mySql?
>
> Thanks.
> VM
>

> "Tim S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hey VM,
> > I've found Brinkster to be pretty good (www.brinkster.com). You can get

> hosting for as cheap as 15 $/month. If you find out that that you need to do
> something they don't allow (they're not an enterprise server, so for example
> you can't cache web pages with Brinkster), you can always switch to a
> different (more expensive) site later and rerout your Domain name server -
> i.e. a user wouldn't notice a difference.
> >
> > In terms of impressing people, I personally prefer good architecture.

> Having such things as passing data through tiers to a database, exception
> logging, user customization, and security are a good start. Including web
> services as also good. For example, you could make an online address book
> (demonstrate data base connectivity) that you need to log into. The site
> would customize itself based on the log-in. For kicks throw in a webservice
> that does some relevant business functionality (perhaps displays a map or
> does spell checking): http://www.xmethods.net/ve2/Directory.po
> >
> > Although, ultimatley the most impressive thing is a real world

> application. If you're experienced in ASP.Net, you got that experience from
> somewhere - show your clients the sites you've already done.
> >
> > Best of luck,
> > Tim S.
> >
> > ----- VM wrote: -----
> >
> > I'm looking for an ASP.Net web hoster for my page and I'd like to

> know what
> > I should consider when making my decision.
> >
> > Since I'm an independent software consultant, my short-term goal is

> > attract potential clients to the site so they can see my skills

> through my
> > website. I'll send them an email that will have a link to my resume

> in my
> > site; from there, they can just navigate through the site. Although

> most of
> > it will be done through dot net, I'm also going to use Macromedia
> > Dreamweaver and Flash.
> > On the other hand, I want a hoster that's affordable for someone with

> > limited budget.
> > Do you guys have any suggestion on companies that are affordable and

> have a
> > good reputation?
> >
> > Also, if I want to impress these clients with my site, what kind of

> web
> > application can I add to the site that'll let them know that I have
> > experience with asp.net?
> >
> > Thanks again,
> > VM

VM

Have you found any other company that'll host your site with better service?
If you do, let me know.

My email is: myersv at go dot com

Thanks again.
VM

"J.D. Deutschendorf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> VM,
>
> I've been having some problems with Brinkster lately. They just can't
> seem to get my log files populated on a consistent basis. I often get
> no log files for weekends and holidays. And this has been going on for
> months. Each time I contact their customer support I get the same
> reply:
>
> "This feature has been reset to your account. Let us know if you
> continue to have difficulty."
>
> They recently moved to new servers and my site was down for most of
> the day. I know that because I do have the log files for that day:
> 01/22/2004. In fact as of today, that's the last log file I've gotten.
>
> I'm running ASP.NET, classic ASP, and using Access databases. I'm also
> looking for a more reliable host.
>
> J.D. Deutschendorf
> www.jangle.net
>

> "VM" <None> wrote in message

news:<#(E-Mail Removed)>...
> [...]

resume
> > in my
> > > site; from there, they can just navigate through the site.

Although
> > most of
> > > it will be done through dot net, I'm also going to use Macromedia
> > > Dreamweaver and Flash.
> > > On the other hand, I want a hoster that's affordable for someone

with
> > > limited budget.
> > > Do you guys have any suggestion on companies that are affordable

and
> > have a
> > > good reputation?
> > >
> > > Also, if I want to impress these clients with my site, what kind

of
> > web
> > > application can I add to the site that'll let them know that I

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi VM,

Thanks for your followup. Have you also checked out the Hosters I've listed
in the last reply? As for the DataBase supporting you mentioned, I've
reviewed these sites and here is the infos on them:

#General Hosting WinWeb
http://www.generalhosting.com/htm/common.htm
Support MS Access or MySQL

#WebStrike solution
http://www.webstrikesolutions.com/hosting.html
MySQL supported on Linux servers and SQLServer supported.

#Re-invent hosting
http://www.re-invent.com/webhosting.asp
MySQL supported, MS SQLSERVER7/2000 supported, Row text log file supported

#CyberTarp Web Hosting
http://cybertarp.com
Since it is powered by Apache so only MySQL supported

Please have a view on them to see whether they're helpful. If you need any
further help, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

J.D. Deutschendorf

VM,

I'm looking hard at one of Steven's suggested hosts: Re-invent.

#Re-invent hosting
http://www.re-invent.com/webhosting.asp
MySQL supported, MS SQLSERVER7/2000 supported, Raw text log file supported

> [...]

> architecture.
> > > Having such things as passing data through tiers to a database,

> exception
> > > logging, user customization, and security are a good start. Including

> web
> > > services as also good. For example, you could make an online address

> book
> > > (demonstrate data base connectivity) that you need to log into. The site
> > > would customize itself based on the log-in. For kicks throw in a

> webservice
> > > that does some relevant business functionality (perhaps displays a map

> or
> > > does spell checking): http://www.xmethods.net/ve2/Directory.po

> > > application. If you're experienced in ASP.Net, you got that experience

> from
> > > somewhere - show your clients the sites you've already done.

VM

I checked out those hosters but I'm looking for a company that has a good
reputation. I usually check with http://www.webhostmagazine.com/ and, from
the ones you gave me, WebstrikeSolution was the only one reviewed with 83%
satisfaction. The others were not listed so I'm not sure how reliable they
are.
On the other hand, WebstrikeSolution gives you the first 12 months free and
it's only $8 a month for the 2nd year, which is very good for someone (like
myself) with a limited budget.

I think WebstrikeSolution is a good choice for me.

Thanks,
VM

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi VM,
>

> Thanks for your followup. Have you also checked out the Hosters I've

listed
> in the last reply? As for the DataBase supporting you mentioned, I've
> reviewed these sites and here is the infos on them:
>
> #General Hosting WinWeb
> http://www.generalhosting.com/htm/common.htm
> Support MS Access or MySQL
>
> #WebStrike solution
> http://www.webstrikesolutions.com/hosting.html
> MySQL supported on Linux servers and SQLServer supported.
>
> #Re-invent hosting
> http://www.re-invent.com/webhosting.asp
> MySQL supported, MS SQLSERVER7/2000 supported, Row text log file

supported

> #CyberTarp Web Hosting
> http://cybertarp.com
> Since it is powered by Apache so only MySQL supported
>
> Please have a view on them to see whether they're helpful. If you need any
> further help, please feel free to let me know.
>

> Regards,
>
> Steven Cheng
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi VM,

Have you got any progress on looking for the WebHoster or have you check
the sites I provided in the former reply? Please feel free to post here if
you need any assistance.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Ravichandran J.V.

The choice of the hoster will depend on many parameters on which only
you could decide depending upon your locale and pocket.

As far as the type of app is concerned, it should ideally be an
application that shows database interactions with Crystal Reports
formatted with XML datasources, a dataset oriented-display of data in
the form of datagrids that implement Event Bubbling (ie. your datagrid
should allow users to edit the displayed data) and a web service.

And, if you can show all the interaction with your website on SSL
(https), you should be able to impress.

But then, a thought comes to my mind, if you can do all the above then
why look for a job ?

with regards,

J.V.Ravichandran
- http://www.geocities.com/