Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > CISCO IOS & concurrent telnet sessions

CISCO IOS & concurrent telnet sessions

Karthik Balaguru

Hi,

I find that several concurrent telnet connections
to a router are allowed. The maximum number
of concurrent telnet sessions in CISCO IOS
seems to be dependent on vty(virtual teletypes
/terminals) configuration. But, what could
be maximum number of concurrent telnet
connections that could be configured ? If
this is dependent on the kind of router, then
can you kindly let me know a router that
allows the highest number of concurrent
telnet connections ? Any ideas ?

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru

bod43

On 28 Feb, 02:29, Karthik Balaguru <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I find that several concurrent telnet connections
> to a router are allowed. The maximum number
> of concurrent telnet sessions in CISCO IOS
> seems to be dependent on vty(virtual teletypes
> /terminals) configuration. But, what could
> be maximum number of concurrent telnet
> connections that could be configured ? If
> this is dependent on the kind of router, then
> can you kindly let me know a router that
> allows the highest number of concurrent
> telnet connections ? *Any ideas ?

I don't know.

The default used to be 16, but on some equipment it
was 5. I have seen cases where the default appeared to be
5 and then someone apparently added more with vty 5 15
but I am not sure.

Oddly a router I have here has 5 and it wont allow more.

line vty 0 4
access-class 23 in
exec-timeout 60 0
privilege level 15
logging synchronous
login local
transport input telnet ssh
transport output telnet ssh
otl-hr-dscott#

router(config)#line vty ?
<0-4> First Line number

router(config)#line vty 0 15
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Cisco IOS Software, C870 Software (C870-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version
12.4(15)T7,

John Agosta

Each router / IOS is different.
Some routers will allow many hundreds of vty interfaces to be set up.
(expect the router to die from lack of resources if you attempt to
configure,
say, 768 vty interfaces)

The absolute limit on your gear can be discovered by entering:
config t
line vty 0 ?

Memory and other resources will typically cause the "practical" limit to be
something far less than the "numerical" limit your machine supports.

HTH -

-ja

"Karthik Balaguru" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I find that several concurrent telnet connections
> to a router are allowed. The maximum number
> of concurrent telnet sessions in CISCO IOS
> seems to be dependent on vty(virtual teletypes
> /terminals) configuration. But, what could
> be maximum number of concurrent telnet
> connections that could be configured ? If
> this is dependent on the kind of router, then
> can you kindly let me know a router that
> allows the highest number of concurrent
> telnet connections ? Any ideas ?
>
> Thx in advans,
> Karthik Balaguru

Torrence Torrence is offline
Junior Member

Hey guys I need ios 7200, 3725, 2600 and any other that can be given to me for use in my CCNP Certification study.

Torrence

Torrence Torrence is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bod43
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I find that several concurrent telnet connections
> to a router are allowed. The maximum number
> of concurrent telnet sessions in CISCO IOS
> seems to be dependent on vty(virtual teletypes
> /terminals) configuration. But, what could
> be maximum number of concurrent telnet
> connections that could be configured ? If
> this is dependent on the kind of router, then
> can you kindly let me know a router that
> allows the highest number of concurrent
> telnet connections ? *Any ideas ?

I don't know.

The default used to be 16, but on some equipment it
was 5. I have seen cases where the default appeared to be
5 and then someone apparently added more with vty 5 15
but I am not sure.

Oddly a router I have here has 5 and it wont allow more.

line vty 0 4
access-class 23 in
exec-timeout 60 0
privilege level 15
logging synchronous
login local
transport input telnet ssh
transport output telnet ssh
otl-hr-dscott#

router(config)#line vty ?
<0-4> First Line number

router(config)#line vty 0 15
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Cisco IOS Software, C870 Software (C870-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version
12.4(15)T7,
Hi,

I guess you all are experts in the cisco world..., well I'm just a beginner and would love to be assisted by any versions of cisco IOS that could be provided for my use. Thanks