Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Standby, wireless and nuisance warnings.

Standby, wireless and nuisance warnings.

Anteaus

An annoyance I find with wireless networking is that if the computer is put
into standby, on resume it will take a few seconds for the WLAN to
re-establish itself.

That shouldn't be an issue , except that the timeout on some network
connections seems to be far shorter, in the order of a fraction of a second.

The effect is a machine-gun series of popups, warning of a failed LAN
connection, from any Explorer windows open on mapped drives or other network
resources. After which all such windows have to be re-navigated back to the
proper location.

Any suggestions for a way to stop this?

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
In general that is the nature of the "beast" every thing Wireless is slower.
However you can get it fatter moving by taking the Wireless card out of the
saving Mode. I.e. configure the Wireless card Not to save Power.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Anteaus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> An annoyance I find with wireless networking is that if the computer is
> put
> into standby, on resume it will take a few seconds for the WLAN to
> re-establish itself.
>
> That shouldn't be an issue , except that the timeout on some network
> connections seems to be far shorter, in the order of a fraction of a
> second.
>
> The effect is a machine-gun series of popups, warning of a failed LAN
> connection, from any Explorer windows open on mapped drives or other
> network
> resources. After which all such windows have to be re-navigated back to
> the
> proper location.
>
> Any suggestions for a way to stop this?

Anteaus

I don't think that will make any difference, AFAIK there is no way of keeping
the WLAN card powered whilst the rest of the computer is in standby.

The basic problem is that the timeouts on these warnings are too short to
allow the WLAN to reconnect, but I don't know what determines them.