Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Doesn't open-source software deserve protection from pirates?

Re: Doesn't open-source software deserve protection from pirates?

Sweetpea

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:00:59 +1300, victor wrote:

> Peabrain
> The right to use free software is completely independent of the GPL.

Moron, your right to use software licensed under the GPL is entirely dependent on you complying with
the GPL.

What you do with it is irrelevant so long as you comply with the GPL.

Sweetpea

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 22:50:00 +1300, Squiggle wrote:

> You never had that right in the first place, so the GPL hasn't
> restricted anything. The GPL grants you rights to copy and distribute,
> it does not restrict you.

It grants you the right to copy, to modify and to distribute the modifications PROVIDED certain
conditions are met:

1/ you release the modifications under the same license - the GPL, and

2/ you make the original source code readily available for people to use.

If you do not meet the above conditions then all rights granted under the GPL are instantly and
automatically revoked.