Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: OMG Oracle/Sun ... out of the loop developer panicking

Re: OMG Oracle/Sun ... out of the loop developer panicking

Robert Klemme

On 02/26/2010 09:32 PM, DuncanIdaho wrote:
> Oh my goodness what has been happening.
>
> I've been 'out of the loop' since before Christmas 2009. Just got back
> to the UK and found an email in my inbox from Oracle telling me they've
> bought Sun ... catastrophe ... or is it.

Congrats to the long vacation.

> Can anyone point me to any discussion groups ... I need to figure out
> what this means to my huge (many years) time investment in Java.

Not sure how serious you are about the panic, but panic is rarely a
source of good advice. I don't think there is reason to panic at all.
Even if Oracle were going to do something bad to Java (which they
certainly won't - Oracle can't be stupid - otherwise they would not have
earned the money for buying companies like we are buying groceries),
this would be a slow change. Btw, if Oracle would kill off Java, they
would help their most serious enemy: Microsoft. I can't believe that we
are going to see this happen - at least as long as Larry is in charge.

> Thanks now where's the scotch, think I need a drink.

A good scotch once in a while is certainly a good thing to have.
Btw, what's your preferred brand?

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

Roedy Green

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:33:20 +0100, Robert Klemme
someone who said :

>Not sure how serious you are about the panic, but panic is rarely a
>source of good advice. I don't think there is reason to panic at all.
>Even if Oracle were going to do something bad to Java (which they
>certainly won't - Oracle can't be stupid

Oracle's pattern is not to destroy good products, but to gradually up
the fees for their use after users are locked in.

MySQL competes with Oracle's database products. I would imagine they
might attempt to create a smooth migration path from MySQL to Oracle,
and hobble MySQL so that it could only be used for small projects.
That way MySQL becomes the farm team for the expensive products.

If Oracle behaves too badly on Java, IBM would pick up the ball, and
Oracle would have wasted its money.

Sun often behaved in ways very unlike the way corporations usually
behave, e.g. sticking it to Microsoft, providing so much free,
avoiding lock in... It is a bit much to expect any new owner to be
similarly eccentric, much as I mourn the loss.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
~ Douglas Adams (born: 1952-03-11 died: 2001-05-11 at age: 49)

Arne Vajhøj

On 26-02-2010 17:41, Roedy Green wrote:
> MySQL competes with Oracle's database products. I would imagine they
> might attempt to create a smooth migration path from MySQL to Oracle,
> and hobble MySQL so that it could only be used for small projects.
> That way MySQL becomes the farm team for the expensive products.

You forget that MySQL is open source.

They can not really restrict the features of MySQL - or to be
more precise they can not prevent other from distributing
an unrestricted version of MySQL.

Arne

Lew

Roedy Green wrote:
> MySQL competes with Oracle's database products.

For certain extremely weak values of "compete".

--
Lew

Robert Klemme

On 02/26/2010 11:41 PM, Roedy Green wrote:

> Sun often behaved in ways very unlike the way corporations usually
> behave, e.g. sticking it to Microsoft, providing so much free,
> avoiding lock in... It is a bit much to expect any new owner to be
> similarly eccentric, much as I mourn the loss.

What exactly did we loose so far? I am not aware of any loss that
affects my work or other aspects of my life caused by this deal.

Cheers

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

Stefan Ram

Robert Klemme <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>What exactly did we loose so far? I am not aware of any loss that
>affects my work or other aspects of my life caused by this deal.

Two remarks regarding English:

- it should be »... did we lose so far ...« and
- »out-of-the-loop developer«,

because the intended reading is ((out of the loop) developer)
not (out of the (loop developer)).

markspace

Stefan Ram wrote:
> Robert Klemme <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> What exactly did we loose so far? I am not aware of any loss that
>> affects my work or other aspects of my life caused by this deal.

> Two remarks regarding English:
>
> - it should be »... did we lose so far ...« and
> - »out-of-the-loop developer«,
>
> because the intended reading is ((out of the loop) developer)
> not (out of the (loop developer)).

I dunno. Some days I think there's lots of loopy developers here.

Steve Sobol

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...

> Oracle's pattern is not to destroy good products, but to gradually up
> the fees for their use after users are locked in.

This is a good point. However, I have two counterpoints to make:

** GNU Classpath exists
** OpenJDK exists

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, California, USA
(E-Mail Removed)

Robert Klemme

On 27.02.2010 17:20, Stefan Ram wrote:
> Robert Klemme <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> What exactly did we loose so far? I am not aware of any loss that
>> affects my work or other aspects of my life caused by this deal.

> Two remarks regarding English:
>
> - it should be »... did we lose so far ...« and

Of yes, of course you are right! How embarrassing.

I do believe though that Roedy does not mourn the loss of the 'o' that
you found in my posting.

Stefan Ram wrote:
>> Two remarks regarding English:
>>
>> - it should be »... did we lose so far ...« and

Bravo!

Robert Klemme wrote:
> Of yes, of course you are right! How embarrassing.
>
> I do believe though that Roedy does not mourn the loss of the 'o' that
> you found in my posting.

That didn't make sense.

--
Lew