Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Does launching an applet via JNLP work on Linux at all?

Re: Does launching an applet via JNLP work on Linux at all?

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 25, 4:24*pm, "Qu0ll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Qu0ll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>..
> <jnlp spec="6.0+" codebase="." href="applet.jnlp">

Embedded JNLP applets should not include a codebase
attribute.

--
Andrew T.
pscode.org

Roedy Green

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:03:04 +1100, "Qu0ll" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> Embedded JNLP applets should not include a codebase
>> attribute.

>I included that only out of desperation. It doesn't work with or without.

Is this beast an Applet or a JWS application? Perhaps converting it
to the other might be a way out.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
~ Douglas Adams (born: 1952-03-11 died: 2001-05-11 at age: 49)

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 27, 9:34*am, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:03:04 +1100, "Qu0ll" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> >> Embedded JNLP applets should not include a codebase
> >> attribute.

> >I included that only out of desperation. *It doesn't work with or without.

> Is this beast an Applet or a JWS application? .. *

Since JWS can launch applets, it is not an 'either/or'
situation. Normally the applet launched by JWS would
become free-floating (outside any web page).

But to further complicate things, the plugin2 architecture
actually makes it possible to provide webstart abilities to
applets that are *embedded* in a web page.

See <https://jdk6.dev.java.net/plugin2/jnlp/#USAGE>
for more details.

This latter circumstance, is the situation the OP is
trying to achieve.

--
Andrew T.
pscode.org

Roedy Green

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:57:11 -0800 (PST), Andrew Thompson
who said :

>Since JWS can launch applets, it is not an 'either/or'
>situation. Normally the applet launched by JWS would
>become free-floating (outside any web page).

Don't you use different JNLP to launch a hybrid as either an Applet or
JWS application?

By what I mean by hybrid, see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/applet.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
~ Douglas Adams (born: 1952-03-11 died: 2001-05-11 at age: 49)

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 28, 1:37*pm, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:57:11 -0800 (PST), Andrew Thompson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
> who said :
>
> >Since JWS can launch applets, it is not an 'either/or'
> >situation. *Normally the applet launched by JWS would
> >become free-floating (outside any web page).

> Don't you use different JNLP to launch a hybrid as either an Applet or
> JWS application?

I'm familiar with hybrids, and regularly link to
your page on them (OK - mostly on the Sun forums,
which have become my more common outlet to
discussions on Java).

Having said that, I am not entirely clear what
you mean by that question.

GIFanim <http://pscode.org/gifanim/#run> is a
hybrid. I launch both forms using JNLP, to get
access to the file service in a sand-boxed app. -
but the applet form is embedded in a web page.

Yes both JNLP files used are different, the JFrame
version declares application-desc/1.6+, while the
embedded applet declares applet-desc/1.6.0_10+.
The applet JNLP includes no codebase, as per Sun's
instructions.

(Last time I checked, the application form of GIFanim
was broken - I need to revise the JNLP and add some
more Jars to the resources.)

Of course, I have to concede that if I were making
an app. to be launched by JWS and intended it to be
free-floating outside the browser, I would put it
in a JFrame, if only for (direct access to)/(better
control of) the top level component in which it is
displayed.

Does that answer your question? If not, I'll
need clarification on exactly what you mean.

As an aside, did you check out my link to the
details on the plugin2 architecture? I get the
impression you had not heard of it before, and
this entire thread would be very confusing if
you are unaware of this new way of embedding
JNLP based applets in web pages.

--
Andrew T.
pscode.org