Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless connection

wireless connection

jhi

I followed the Belkin CD for installing the router G. Everything went fine
and the checking system gave me an okay for all areas. The problem is that
my network connections in XP have a red X. They are not recognized by my
computer in other words I am on a neighbors connection. How can I fix that?

I also notice that when I have my modem plugged directly into my computer
the blinking light is blue. But, when it's plugged into my router it blinks
red, as it does when the computer is turned off. This is a new modem I
purchased when I change to Comcast. Previously I had BellSouth DSL and
everything seemed to work fine.

Please advise, thanks

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
The red X means that there is No network connection between the computer and
the Router.
It can be an hardware problem (like bad cable) or mis-configuration of the
computer or the Router.
This page explains how to check the computer,
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
As for the router you have the read the extended manual and configure the
Router manually.
Unfortunately, to so call install CD does not really do anything if part of
the system is not working.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"jhi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I followed the Belkin CD for installing the router G. Everything went fine
>and the checking system gave me an okay for all areas. The problem is that
>my network connections in XP have a red X. They are not recognized by my
>computer in other words I am on a neighbors connection. How can I fix that?
>
> I also notice that when I have my modem plugged directly into my computer
> the blinking light is blue. But, when it's plugged into my router it
> blinks red, as it does when the computer is turned off. This is a new
> modem I purchased when I change to Comcast. Previously I had BellSouth DSL
> and everything seemed to work fine.
>
> Please advise, thanks

jhi

I got rid of the red X. but now
My wireless network connection has a problem. The message is that I have
limited or no connectivity. Why try to do a repair nothing really happens.
The dialogue box "wireless network connection status" as blank spaces next
to DNS SERVER and WINS SERVER. All of the other all of the other network
connection details have numbers next to them and seem to be okay, I suppose.

On my Belkin G. router the wireless networked is blinking. According to my
Belkin router booklet that means Wan activity, but not good WAN link, which
would be a solid light. The Internet light is not on at all and the modem
light is also blinking.

Thanks in advance

"jhi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I followed the Belkin CD for installing the router G. Everything went fine
>and the checking system gave me an okay for all areas. The problem is that
>my network connections in XP have a red X. They are not recognized by my
>computer in other words I am on a neighbors connection. How can I fix that?
>
> I also notice that when I have my modem plugged directly into my computer
> the blinking light is blue. But, when it's plugged into my router it
> blinks red, as it does when the computer is turned off. This is a new
> modem I purchased when I change to Comcast. Previously I had BellSouth DSL
> and everything seemed to work fine.
>
> Please advise, thanks

Lem

jhi wrote:
> I got rid of the red X. but now
> My wireless network connection has a problem. The message is that I have
> limited or no connectivity. Why try to do a repair nothing really happens.
> The dialogue box "wireless network connection status" as blank spaces next
> to DNS SERVER and WINS SERVER. All of the other all of the other network
> connection details have numbers next to them and seem to be okay, I suppose.
>
> On my Belkin G. router the wireless networked is blinking. According to my
> Belkin router booklet that means Wan activity, but not good WAN link, which
> would be a solid light. The Internet light is not on at all and the modem
> light is also blinking.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> "jhi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I followed the Belkin CD for installing the router G. Everything went fine
>> and the checking system gave me an okay for all areas. The problem is that
>> my network connections in XP have a red X. They are not recognized by my
>> computer in other words I am on a neighbors connection. How can I fix that?
>>
>> I also notice that when I have my modem plugged directly into my computer
>> the blinking light is blue. But, when it's plugged into my router it
>> blinks red, as it does when the computer is turned off. This is a new
>> modem I purchased when I change to Comcast. Previously I had BellSouth DSL
>> and everything seemed to work fine.
>>
>> Please advise, thanks

It sounds like you have not correctly configured the encryption password.

Please answer *all* questions.

A. What did you do to get rid of the red X?
B. What encryption did you set up on the router?
C. Have you tried connecting with your router configured with no
encryption (if not, please try)?
D. Did you configure a unique SSID (network name) on your new router
(that is, are you sure that you're attempting to connect to *your*
router and not your neighbor's)?
E. Please supply additional information as follows

1. Click Start / Run
2. Type the three letters cmd
3. Click OK
4. Type the following commands and press the Enter key after each of them:
set comp > c:\test.txt
ipconfig /all >> c:\test.txt
notepad c:\test.txt
5. Paste the contents of the result into your reply.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html