Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ZOMG Open Source Worse Than Piracy!!

ZOMG Open Source Worse Than Piracy!!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

A lobby group called the “International Intellectual Property Alliance”
(which happens to include the MPAA and RIAA as members) is asking the US
Government to put countries like Indonesia, Brazil and India on the “Special
301 watchlist” because they use, or encourage the use of, open-source
software.

<http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=7488>

peterwn

On Feb 25, 2:50*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> A lobby group called the International Intellectual Property Alliance
> (which happens to include the MPAA and RIAA as members) is asking the US
> Government to put countries like Indonesia, Brazil and India on the Special
> 301 watchlist because they use, or encourage the use of, open-source
> software.
>
> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=7488>

This is very similar to "Impossible's" stance ie open source = piracy
and therefore open source advocates must be software pirates.

It has occurred to me that a major USA export is intellectual
property, and there is an enormous incentive for USA to keep such
exports up otherwise there will start to be a trade imbalance against
the USA.

Ways of doing this are:
1. Force on the world such stringent patent laws that USA can earn
significant overseas funds through weak patents, patent trolling,
rights amplification (eg Disney and 'Peter Pan' rights), etc.
2. Discourage the use of open source in other nations so Microsoft,
Adobe, Oracle, etc royalty streams can be kept at a high level. The
open source and piracy link is a perfect lobbying tool in that regard.

Re: ZOMG! HILARIOUS! Meat Plow Computer Support 2 12-08-2010 05:40 PM
[ANN] zomg 1.0.0 Released Aaron Patterson Ruby 0 08-19-2008 02:51 AM
zOMG! Shane NZ Computing 7 11-21-2006 05:59 AM
Sony's day just gets worse and worse thing2 NZ Computing 27 12-01-2005 06:57 AM
Is DigiHost better or worse than the rest of the lot? Steve Forrester HTML 2 09-13-2003 07:33 PM

Advertisments