Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Yahoo Mail captchas

Yahoo Mail captchas

enough

Helps to prevent users for using curl or any other text only based
utility for mail >

enough

Sometimes its damn impossible to read capchas. Does not help when they
use nonsense words or random character jumbles.

enough

Sometimes its damn impossible to read capchas. Does not help when they
use nonsense words or random character jumbles.

duckstandard

Desk Rabbit wrote:
> On 24/02/2010 18:16, Richard Fangnail wrote:
> > There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
> > to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security) when
> > sending out emails. Apparently it's only for new users or people who
> > recently had suspicous activity.
> >
> > I've never been asked for one until just now. A week ago somebody
> > mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
> > like I had sent them. I don't know how they did it. Today, Yahoo
> > said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha. I then sent
> > 2-3 emails and no captcha appeared.
> >
> > I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
> > unfair to kids or older people.

> Why are they unfair?

They have to do what they have to do to protect their interests, but
many are just unreadable. Get 4 of those in a row and you can start
getting annoyed.

Scott in SoCal

Last time on misc.consumers, Richard Fangnail
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>On Feb 26, 8:23*am, Scott in SoCal <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Last time on misc.consumers, Richard Fangnail
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>> >Scott, when did you first start using Yahoo Mail?

>> Sometime in 2001. Why do you ask?

>Some people have said that if you recently got an account, you would
>get the captchas. Obviously that's not your case.
>I wonder why you suddenly started getting the captchas only a year
>ago

The explanation I was given by Yahoo support was that sending HTML
mail can trigger the crapchas. Ironically, the only HTML mail I ever
sent from my account as a REPLY to a Yahoo Groups mailing list
message. IOW, Yahoo detects its own email as SPAM.

Scott in SoCal

Last time on misc.consumers, duckstandard <(E-Mail Removed)>
said:

>Desk Rabbit wrote:
>> On 24/02/2010 18:16, Richard Fangnail wrote:
>> > There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
>> > to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security) when
>> > sending out emails. Apparently it's only for new users or people who
>> > recently had suspicous activity.
>> >
>> > I've never been asked for one until just now. A week ago somebody
>> > mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
>> > like I had sent them. I don't know how they did it. Today, Yahoo
>> > said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha. I then sent
>> > 2-3 emails and no captcha appeared.
>> >
>> > I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
>> > unfair to kids or older people.

>> Why are they unfair?

>They have to do what they have to do to protect their interests, but
>many are just unreadable.

Here's an example:

http://i47.tinypic.com/156aiae.jpg

What do you think: is the character string typed in at the bottom the
same string shown in the Crapcha image?

krw

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:05:08 -0800, Scott in SoCal
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Last time on misc.consumers, duckstandard <(E-Mail Removed)>
>said:
>

>>Desk Rabbit wrote:

>>> Why are they unfair?

>>They have to do what they have to do to protect their interests, but
>>many are just unreadable.

>Here's an example:
>
>http://i47.tinypic.com/156aiae.jpg
>
>What do you think: is the character string typed in at the bottom the
>same string shown in the Crapcha image?

No, your 'o' looks like it should be a 'd'. This certainly isn't the
worst Capacha I've seen. Some are impossible to decode.

enough

On Feb 27, 5:17*pm, krw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:05:08 -0800, Scott in SoCal
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Last time on misc.consumers, duckstandard <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >said:

> >>They have to do what they have to do to protect their interests, but
> >>many are just unreadable.

> >Here's an example:

> >http://i47.tinypic.com/156aiae.jpg

> >What do you think: is the character string typed in at the bottom the
> >same string shown in the Crapcha image?

> No, your 'o' looks like it should be a 'd'. *This certainly isn't the
> worst Capacha I've seen. Some are impossible to decode.

The only way to tell a d from an o there is the thickness of the line
which most people probaly won't even pick up now.
You're right, it's by far not the worse, and I've seen captchas that
look like something a 2 year old would scribble.

Scott in SoCal

Last time on misc.consumers, enough <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>On Feb 27, 5:17*pm, krw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:05:08 -0800, Scott in SoCal
>>

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >Last time on misc.consumers, duckstandard <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> >Here's an example:

>> >http://i47.tinypic.com/156aiae.jpg

>> >What do you think: is the character string typed in at the bottom the
>> >same string shown in the Crapcha image?

>> No, your 'o' looks like it should be a 'd'. *This certainly isn't the
>> worst Capacha I've seen. Some are impossible to decode.

> The only way to tell a d from an o there is the thickness of the line
>which most people probaly won't even pick up now.
>You're right, it's by far not the worse, and I've seen captchas that
>look like something a 2 year old would scribble.

Well, that must be why Yahoo thinks I'm a SPAMmer - I get those
goddamn Crapchas wrong more often than I get them right. It's so
annoying that I no longer send any email from that Yahoo account.

But hey, at least I'm not sending any SPAM through Yahoo. They have
met their objective!

Desk Rabbit

On 26/02/2010 22:09, NotMe wrote:
> "Desk Rabbit"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hm84dk$tqo$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 25/02/2010 23:36, NotMe wrote:
>>> "Desk Rabbit"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:hm5g84$5lk$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Have you tried to use that option? For most such systems the audio
>>> option
>>> is complex and virtually unusable.
>>>

>> Complex, how? you click icon. Words come out of speakers.
>>
>> If it is too complex to make sure your speakers are on and working and
>> your ears unblocked and your brain engaged, then getting to a web page
>> behind a captcha is the *least* of your problems.

> Some folk have multiple disabilities.

I agree, blind-deaf people will have difficulty but once again, Captcha
will be the least of the problems.

> They are not unable only disabled.
> Sounds to me that you are a classic example of a TAB (Temporally Able
> Bodied). Assuming you are one of the very fortunate few you'll not face
> those problems but live long enough ... you likely will.
>
> And yes, getting to a web page IS very likely the least of their problems
> but why do you feel it's necessary to justify making that task harder?

I'll repeat what I said earlier, in the UK at least there is legislation
that prevents exactly this type of discrimination and any good provider
would offer a way round the issue for it's less abled customers. The
fact that it inconveniences a minority is no justification to throw away
a very good system that prevents spam etc.

Captchas Roedy Green Java 0 05-23-2012 11:27 PM
Yahoo mail and Yahoo xtra. Geopelia NZ Computing 17 06-16-2011 09:48 AM
Mail component to retrieve mail from Hotmail, Yahoo, gmail..etc? John Dalberg ASP .Net 1 09-19-2005 02:56 PM
cant get read yahoo mail with bt yahoo as the isp STUART SWANSTON Computer Support 0 12-09-2003 01:16 PM
Deluged with multiple copies, sometimes, when using yahoo mail to check POP mail dakota7 Computer Support 3 10-05-2003 09:31 PM

Advertisments