Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > YouTube Killing IE6

YouTube Killing IE6

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

<http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/youtube-to-kill-ie6-support-on-march-13.ars>

Matty F

On Feb 24, 10:12 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/youtube-to-kill-ie6-sup...>

Not just killing IE6 but also Firefox 2 and other older browsers.
I know a bunch of people who are quite happy using their small
machines with Win 98SE. XP is too slow and horrible on their machines.
They have firewalls and don't have any problems with viruses etc..
But later versions of Firefox, Opera and Chrome won't work on Win
98SE.
I wonder what the special features are of Youtube that won't work now?
What else does Youtube give but crappy video and crappy sound?

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/youtube-to-kill-ie6-support-on-march-13.ars>

A good thing too! If anyone is still using IE6 they are obviously a
pirate and a communist to boot. And probably a tree hugging Greenie and
an ACT supporter.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccolň di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Matty F wrote:

> I know a bunch of people who are quite happy using their small
> machines with Win 98SE.
> What else does Youtube give but crappy video and crappy sound?

If YouTube is so crappy, then what’s the problem?

Richard

Matty F wrote:
> On Feb 24, 10:12 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/youtube-to-kill-ie6-sup...>

> Not just killing IE6 but also Firefox 2 and other older browsers.
> I know a bunch of people who are quite happy using their small
> machines with Win 98SE. XP is too slow and horrible on their machines.
> They have firewalls and don't have any problems with viruses etc..
> But later versions of Firefox, Opera and Chrome won't work on Win
> 98SE.
> I wonder what the special features are of Youtube that won't work now?
> What else does Youtube give but crappy video and crappy sound?

Its not crappy if what was uploaded was not crappy.

But then you get the problem that NZ fraudband cant handle the not
crappy looking ones so you have to back down to the 360p version or else
wait for ages of buffering.

Not to mention the cost of watching the not crappy stuff on youtube.

Matty F

On Feb 26, 12:18 am, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Matty F wrote:
> > On Feb 24, 10:12 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> >> <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/youtube-to-kill-ie6-sup...>

> > Not just killing IE6 but also Firefox 2 and other older browsers.
> > I know a bunch of people who are quite happy using their small
> > machines with Win 98SE. XP is too slow and horrible on their machines.
> > They have firewalls and don't have any problems with viruses etc..
> > But later versions of Firefox, Opera and Chrome won't work on Win
> > 98SE.
> > I wonder what the special features are of Youtube that won't work now?
> > What else does Youtube give but crappy video and crappy sound?

> Its not crappy if what was uploaded was not crappy.
>
> But then you get the problem that NZ fraudband cant handle the not
> crappy looking ones so you have to back down to the 360p version or else
> wait for ages of buffering.
>
> Not to mention the cost of watching the not crappy stuff on youtube.

The subject of the thread is YouTube killing IE6 (and other older
browsers). What is YouTube actually killing if the videos still work
but with some features missing? If nobody knows I guess I'll find out
in a few weeks.
YouTube seem to imagine that it's easy to upgrade to a new browser.
As I have explained, for some people it is impossible to upgrade
browsers on their present computers.

Richard

Matty F wrote:

> The subject of the thread is YouTube killing IE6 (and other older
> browsers). What is YouTube actually killing if the videos still work
> but with some features missing? If nobody knows I guess I'll find out
> in a few weeks.
> YouTube seem to imagine that it's easy to upgrade to a new browser.
> As I have explained, for some people it is impossible to upgrade
> browsers on their present computers.

Then their current computers are no longer up to the task and need
replacing.

A computer so old it cant run XP probably cant even keep up decoding
video properly.

Matty F

On Feb 27, 12:34 am, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Matty F wrote:
> > The subject of the thread is YouTube killing IE6 (and other older
> > browsers). What is YouTube actually killing if the videos still work
> > but with some features missing? If nobody knows I guess I'll find out
> > in a few weeks.
> > YouTube seem to imagine that it's easy to upgrade to a new browser.
> > As I have explained, for some people it is impossible to upgrade
> > browsers on their present computers.

> Then their current computers are no longer up to the task and need
> replacing.
>
> A computer so old it cant run XP probably cant even keep up decoding
> video properly.

YouTube and other videos run OK on them now.