Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Avast - Anyone?

Avast - Anyone?

Jim

I have some files on my Win XP desktop, e.g. jpegs, text-files, mp3s etc.,
and they seem okay, but I have a few pdf files as well, and for some reason,
every time I 'mouse-over' these pdf files, the hourglass appears, like it
was being scanned by avast maybe. I do not click the mouse or anything, just
hover the pointer over the pdfs. Can someone who uses avast maybe check
their system and let'z know if the same thing happens? I've scanned the
files btw, and avast says they're okay.

Jim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:55:49 -0000, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>I have some files on my Win XP desktop, e.g. jpegs, text-files, mp3s etc.,
>>and they seem okay, but I have a few pdf files as well, and for some
>>reason,
>>every time I 'mouse-over' these pdf files, the hourglass appears, like it
>>was being scanned by avast maybe. I do not click the mouse or anything,
>>just
>>hover the pointer over the pdfs. Can someone who uses avast maybe check
>>their system and let'z know if the same thing happens? I've scanned the
>>files btw, and avast says they're okay.

> What makes you think it's Avast?
>
> Simple test - disconnect computer from Internet.
> Disable Avast.
> Does the hourglass thing still happen?
> --
> To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
> address.

Hmm! I just did as you suggested...'it still does it even why I click 'stop
on-access protection'. Any ideas?

VanguardLH

Jim wrote:

> I have some files on my Win XP desktop, e.g. jpegs, text-files, mp3s etc.,
> and they seem okay, but I have a few pdf files as well, and for some reason,
> every time I 'mouse-over' these pdf files, the hourglass appears, like it
> was being scanned by avast maybe. I do not click the mouse or anything, just
> hover the pointer over the pdfs. Can someone who uses avast maybe check
> their system and let'z know if the same thing happens? I've scanned the
> files btw, and avast says they're okay.

If left configured at its default, the Avast tray icon will spin when it is
scanning. Is its tray icon spinning when you hover over the .pdf file?

Maybe SysInternals' Filemon would tell you who is accessing that file?

Jim

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hm17ts$8qi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jim wrote:
>
>> I have some files on my Win XP desktop, e.g. jpegs, text-files, mp3s
>> etc.,
>> and they seem okay, but I have a few pdf files as well, and for some
>> reason,
>> every time I 'mouse-over' these pdf files, the hourglass appears, like it
>> was being scanned by avast maybe. I do not click the mouse or anything,
>> just
>> hover the pointer over the pdfs. Can someone who uses avast maybe check
>> their system and let'z know if the same thing happens? I've scanned the
>> files btw, and avast says they're okay.

> If left configured at its default, the Avast tray icon will spin when it
> is
> scanning. Is its tray icon spinning when you hover over the .pdf file?
>
> Maybe SysInternals' Filemon would tell you who is accessing that file?

The avast icon does indeed spin when I hover over the pdf with the mouse
pointer.

Jim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:31:51 -0000, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Hmm! I just did as you suggested...'it still does it even why I click
>>'stop
>>on-access protection'. Any ideas?

> Hit control-alt-delete, bring up the task manager. Click the processes
> tab. Click the CPU column to sort by CPU (look at the highest), and
> move the mouse then over the PDF files - keeping the Task Manager
> running. Look for any process that seems to increase CPU usage. But
> tough to say. Could even be something like a part of windows trying to
> pull up a thumbnail. If you go to View, have you selected Thumbnails?
> Try changing View to details? Oh wait, this is only on your desktop -
> does it also happen if you're in a folder?
> --
> To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
> address.

Nothing odd looking in task manager, strangely enough. I thought it would,
but not so.

It does the same thing when viewed in a folder (windows explorer).

Jim

"Jordon" <jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:hm18ug$4ou$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Evan Platt wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:31:51 -0000, "Jim"<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm! I just did as you suggested...'it still does it even why I click
>>> 'stop
>>> on-access protection'. Any ideas?

>> Hit control-alt-delete, bring up the task manager. Click the processes
>> tab. Click the CPU column to sort by CPU (look at the highest), and
>> move the mouse then over the PDF files - keeping the Task Manager
>> running. Look for any process that seems to increase CPU usage. But
>> tough to say. Could even be something like a part of windows trying to
>> pull up a thumbnail. If you go to View, have you selected Thumbnails?
>> Try changing View to details? Oh wait, this is only on your desktop -
>> does it also happen if you're in a folder?

> Damn... I spent a few minutes typing almost the exact same thing.
>
> To add...
>
> After you run task manager you may have to click on the desktop
> to change the focus away from the task manager before hovering
> your mouse over the icons.
>
> The freeware program What's Running can tell you all sorts of
> stuff about..., well, What's Running.
>
> --
> Jordon

Thanks. I will install that asap.

Jordon

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:31:51 -0000, "Jim"<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Hmm! I just did as you suggested...'it still does it even why I click 'stop
>> on-access protection'. Any ideas?

> Hit control-alt-delete, bring up the task manager. Click the processes
> tab. Click the CPU column to sort by CPU (look at the highest), and
> move the mouse then over the PDF files - keeping the Task Manager
> running. Look for any process that seems to increase CPU usage. But
> tough to say. Could even be something like a part of windows trying to
> pull up a thumbnail. If you go to View, have you selected Thumbnails?
> Try changing View to details? Oh wait, this is only on your desktop -
> does it also happen if you're in a folder?

Damn... I spent a few minutes typing almost the exact same thing.

To add...

After you run task manager you may have to click on the desktop
to change the focus away from the task manager before hovering
your mouse over the icons.

The freeware program What's Running can tell you all sorts of
stuff about..., well, What's Running.

--
Jordon

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jordon wrote:

> The freeware program What's Running can tell you all sorts of
> stuff about..., well, What's Running.

You probably meant: http://www.whatsrunning.net/

...or Andrew Aranoff's: http://www.silentrunners.org/

...but *not* PCButts' stolen "Whatslivern" (a plagiarized copy of
Andrew's script).

--
-bts

Jordon

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Jordon wrote:
>
>> The freeware program What's Running can tell you all sorts of
>> stuff about..., well, What's Running.

> You probably meant: http://www.whatsrunning.net/

That's the one.

> ..or Andrew Aranoff's: http://www.silentrunners.org/
>
> ..but *not* PCButts' stolen "Whatslivern" (a plagiarized copy of
> Andrew's script).

Whatslivern?!? What's a livern?

--
Jordon

VanguardLH

Jim wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>
>> Jim wrote:
>>
>>> every time I 'mouse-over' these pdf files, the hourglass appears, like
>>> it was being scanned by avast maybe. I do not click the mouse or
>>> anything, just hover the pointer over the pdfs.

>> If left configured at its default, the Avast tray icon will spin when it
>> is scanning. Is its tray icon spinning when you hover over the .pdf
>> file?

> The avast icon does indeed spin when I hover over the pdf with the mouse
> pointer.

When I open Windows Explorer and navigate to a folder containing .pdf files,
the Avast tray icon is not spinning when I move the mouse cursor over those
files. It doesn't spin when I merely select a .pdf file. It only spins
when I *open* the .pdf file. Of course, when I'm using Windows Explorer,
the left pane shows the Folders pane, not the quick tasks lists which
includes a Preview of the file (but only after it has been selected).

However, I don't use Adobe's Reader for PDF files. Too much bloat, too many
attacks, and to few features with that PDF reader. I use PDF-Xchange which
is faster and lets me edit .pdf files, and I don't encounter the problem you
mentioned. So perhaps it is some extra "feature" of Adobe Reader of opening
a selected file to use it as the preview handler assuming you have the quick
tasks view selected in Windows Explorer (i.e., no Explorer Bar is selected
for display in the left pane). My bet is you use Adobe's Reader for PDF.

You also seem to have some non-default setup with Windows Explorer or your
mouse that automatically selects a file just because the mouse cursor
hovered over it. Until the file gets selected, it won't be opened by
whatever is the preview handler for that filetype.

FF and Avast Big Will Firefox 1 04-18-2005 08:49 PM
IE/Avast against Netscape/Mozilla problem Rg HTML 4 08-15-2004 12:20 PM
Avast with proxomitron Jim Scott Computer Support 2 06-02-2004 08:19 PM
AVAST Scottie Computer Support 6 02-11-2004 04:48 PM
pausing Avast PL+CL Computer Support 2 11-04-2003 09:45 PM

Advertisments