Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP apps not happy on Windows 7

XP apps not happy on Windows 7

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Thinking of shifting your business PCs from XP to Windows 7? You're
likely to be in for a world of pain.

While Forrester stressed that the results were preliminary and only
drawn from a small sample, the figure highlights one of the challenges
Microsoft will have in pushing Windows 7 to a wider user base.

While some of these transition issues can be resolved by using options
such as Windows 7' "XP Mode", that process isn't necessarily
straightforward.

<http://apcmag.com/xp-apps-not-happy-on-windows-7.htm>

Simon

On Feb 23, 11:03*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> * * Thinking of shifting your business PCs from XP to Windows 7? You're
> * * likely to be in for a world of pain.
>
> * * While Forrester stressed that the results were preliminary and only
> * * drawn from a small sample, the figure highlights one of the challenges
> * * Microsoft will have in pushing Windows 7 to a wider user base.
>
> * * While some of these transition issues can be resolved by using options
> * * such as Windows 7' "XP Mode", that process isn't necessarily
> * * straightforward.
>
> <http://apcmag.com/xp-apps-not-happy-on-windows-7.htm>

We have certainly experienced some issues with older version of apps
written to run upon XP, however it has not been a substantial issue.

Gordon

On 2010-02-23, Simon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 23, 11:03*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> * * Thinking of shifting your business PCs from XP to Windows 7? You're
>> * * likely to be in for a world of pain.
>>
>> * * While Forrester stressed that the results were preliminary and only
>> * * drawn from a small sample, the figure highlights one of the challenges
>> * * Microsoft will have in pushing Windows 7 to a wider user base.
>>
>> * * While some of these transition issues can be resolved by using options
>> * * such as Windows 7' "XP Mode", that process isn't necessarily
>> * * straightforward.
>>
>> <http://apcmag.com/xp-apps-not-happy-on-windows-7.htm>

> We have certainly experienced some issues with older version of apps
> written to run upon XP, however it has not been a substantial issue.

Okay people.

Do all old versions of a Linux programme run on the latest version of Linux?

No not a troll question. I am trying to be balanced here. In the world of
silicon chips, read PC's both the hardware and the software advances. The
New and the Improved replace the old.

So an old pgm does not work with the latest OS. Well my answer is stick with
the OS which allows you to run the pgm you want to run.

On the Linux front, the KDE developers went version 4.0 Users went *&^%$#.
Now at version 4.4, the users are saying well yes! to maybe.

No pain no gain. Vista was the pain, 7 of Windows, seems to be the gain OS
wise.

The question again, most of you will have forgotten it

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon wrote:

> Do all old versions of a Linux programme run on the latest version of
> Linux?

For open-source ones, almost certainly yes. But then, why bother with the
old version when you can just as easily download a newer one?

For proprietary ones, it can be troublesome sometimes (*cough* MATLAB
*cough*), but often doable.

Malcolm

On 24 Feb 2010 05:01:18 GMT
Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Do all old versions of a Linux programme run on the latest version of
> Linux?
> The question again, most of you will have forgotten it
>
> Do all old versions of a Linux programme run on the latest version of
> Linux?

Hi
If necessary, yes. I packaged up regex coach for a user, just had to
add the old libraries. But with some fluffing around it can be....
http://weitz.de/regex-coach/

--
Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.42-0.1-default

OT: Happy Happy Joy Joy! Mike T. MCSE 79 11-19-2006 08:22 PM
[QUIZ SOLUTION] Happy Numbers (#93) - happy bases Daniel Martin Ruby 1 09-06-2006 07:06 PM
HEXUS.opinions :: Have a happy happy gaming holiday Silverstrand Front Page News 0 12-23-2005 04:12 PM
Happy Happy Joy Joy, I recovered my photos Tama Mativa Digital Photography 9 05-24-2004 04:58 PM
happy happy christmas showgun MCSE 26 12-17-2003 07:11 PM

Advertisments